Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Emule connects to weird servers

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Emule connects to weird servers

Postby sunflower04 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:03 pm

when i start up emule, i keep getting an error message about a fatal error. then eventually it does connect, but it connects to some weird server instead of the usual edonkey server 1 or 2.

the name of the server is ifrees_x.net. fill in the missing letter, not sure if i could put the word on here or not.

how do i fix that?

also if the only way to fix that is a fresh install, i don't want to lose my unfinished downloads. how do i keep from losing those so i can finish downloading them once this problem is fixed.
sunflower04

Postby sunflower04 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:19 pm

i solved the problem, by getting a new server.met file.

question though, what caused this and how would i avoid this in the future?
sunflower04

Postby LANjackal » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:00 pm

sunflower04 wrote:i solved the problem, by getting a new server.met file.

question though, what caused this and how would i avoid this in the future?

I had this problem in the past. Apparently eMule's server list can be corrupted. In my case, it was due to a (hardware induced) sudden shutdown.

Reinstallation over the existing instance didn't work, so I had to uninstall and then install again. I guess eMule stores its preferences and program data in the registry, because when I did the above all my settings, downloads, etc. were still intact (eMule still recalls details of stuff I downloaded and deleted over 2 years ago) and the server list problem was fixed.

As to what caused corruption on your end... not sure. Maybe you shutdown your PC without exiting eMule first? Or...?
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby sunflower04 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:47 pm

thanks for answering.

i did have to shut emule down, without exiting windows because my computer froze. glad to know if i had to reinstall it wouldn't be a problem. i was worried about that, because i had some downloads with few sources over half way done, and i didn't want to lose those.
sunflower04

Return to eMule / kad