Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Are the safe servers not safe?

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Are the safe servers not safe?

Postby Beffyluv » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:15 pm

So I remember reading that these two sites have perfectly safe edonkey network servers, http://www.gruk.org/server.met.gz
and
http://corpo.free.fr/server.met

But one time when i was in the edonkey network irc chat channel, a staff member told me that they both were old and rarely updated. At the time I was using the corpo.free.fr server list and the person told me to use another one. What I want to know is, if perhaps, she/he mentioned the one I wasn't using and I didn't realize it, so I then thought she told me a completely different third one. What do you guys think, I never hear about anyother server list besides gruk and corpo anyway. If they are old and outdated I deffinetely want a new updated and accurate one. So does anyone, know?
Beffyluv

Postby Ratt » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:57 am

The third one mentioned is always OBCMaurice. Which one is most reliable? Beats me.
Ratt

Postby qm2003 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:05 am

So I remember reading that these two sites have perfectly safe edonkey network servers

You are dead wrong.

All those lists simply contain ed2k servers that seem to work as a ed2k server is supposed to and do not spread fake files or search results.

Lugdunummaster (creator of the ed2k server software) and owner of gruk.org also has root access to many of those servers.

There is no guarantee whatsoever that none of those servers does or will covertly log users shared files and search/source requests, though this is highly unlikely for servers not based in Germany and US. Personally i'd avoid to log in to those.

There is a new site that provides a checked server list:
http://peerates.net

30 to 40 good servers are more than enough and you can always connect to KAD as well, as long as your hardware plays along.

Many cheap routers (especially those your ISPs give you for free ! ) have problems.
How to setup Emule. A small checklist Schmu's MuleDoc
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing. In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it, stupid ?
qm2003

Postby Beffyluv » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:22 am

Oh alright, but just because I want to know, lets say you download a list of a couple of safe servers, and you know the servers in emule are just a doorway to the rest of the network. Then if you are logged into like one of your 30 safe servers, can the one you are logged into still lead you download a file from a bad server?
Beffyluv

Postby LD50% » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:04 am

Unless you own the server it must be assumed it is not safe. It's just down to risk assessment and taking risk based on what you feel is appropriate for you.
LD50%

Postby Beffyluv » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:09 am

LD50% wrote:Unless you own the server it must be assumed it is not safe. It's just down to risk assessment and taking risk based on what you feel is appropriate for you.

Yes I know, the overused nothing is safe, but just a little bit more than other things line, but I want to know anyway.
Beffyluv

Postby LD50% » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:39 am

Beffyluv wrote:
LD50% wrote:Unless you own the server it must be assumed it is not safe. It's just down to risk assessment and taking risk based on what you feel is appropriate for you.

Yes I know, the overused nothing is safe, but just a little bit more than other things line, but I want to know anyway.

Overused maybe, it's also just a statement of fact. If you know otherwise please elaborate. You are asking a totally impossible question. Is a server safe? If you don't own it you have no reliable way of telling. If you are worried, just use KAD.
LD50%

Postby Beffyluv » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:53 am

LD50% wrote:Overused maybe, it's also just a statement of fact. If you know otherwise please elaborate. You are asking a totally impossible question. Is a server safe? If you don't own it you have no reliable way of telling. If you are worried, just use KAD.

That's not what i was asking and i never said the statement was false.

You see this is what i asked, alright so I'm going to be foolish and use servers that are allegedly safe. So I'm wondering if everytime i connect and search, if I'm only getting files on the servers on my list, or if no matter what, even if i am logged into an allegedly safe server I will still get files from all other servers once I search.

Thank you.
Beffyluv

Postby LD50% » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:59 am

Ah okay, don't use "global" and better just search with "KAD", just as good, if not better, just very slow.
LD50%

Postby Beffyluv » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:05 am

Does KAD still return files, on the eDONKEY network after a search?
Beffyluv

Postby MyNutsHurt » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:08 pm

I always get A LOT more seach results from KAD, sometimes 3 to 4 times as many then on e2dk server searches. Also downloads are faster due to no server being involed. KAD is a direct connection to other peer's systems on the KAD network.
MyNutsHurt

Postby LANjackal » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:28 pm

MyNutsHurt wrote:I always get A LOT more seach results from KAD, sometimes 3 to 4 times as many then on e2dk server searches. Also downloads are faster due to no server being involed. KAD is a direct connection to other peer's systems on the KAD network.

In my experience, they're equally slow and the number of search results varies depending on what you're looking for. Also, ED2K downloads don't take place through the server. Like a BT tracker, the server only functions as a peer/search index, AFAIK.

Beffyluv wrote:Does KAD still return files, on the eDONKEY network after a search?

No, but if you're connected to the ED2K network your client will automatically search (in the background) for sources of the same file there too once it's been added to your queue. eMule also uses Source Exchange, where it asks each found source of the file for any other sources, and then adds them.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby MyNutsHurt » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:50 am

and the number of search results varies depending on what you're looking for.

Not so..at least for me..I've been using the mule for years and I always search the same way. I type what I'm looking for and then select KAD. While that search is going on I change nothing that I typed in the "search for" and just change the search type to global server. KAD will return anywhere from 150-500 results whereas global server will return 25-50. Sometime global server will return lets say 120 but when that happens KAD always returns 200 or more. It is a VERY rare occasion that they will be about the same but even then KAD will always return more results. And if you compare them the same global results show in KAD results.
MyNutsHurt

Postby Ratt » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:32 am

MyNutsHurt wrote: While that search is going on I change nothing that I typed in the "search for" and just change the search type to global server. KAD will return anywhere from 150-500 results whereas global server will return 25-50.

Server searches are just halted more quickly. As soon as you've found a couple of files with lots of sources, like a 100 sources or more, the server decides you have enough and quits. When exactly seems to vary slightly from server to server.

Therefore, if you only ever searched for rare stuff of which only a few files exist, the difference between global search and KAD search would be very small, at least in terms of number of files found. But when it comes to popular stuff, server searches are just lazy.
Ratt

Return to eMule / kad