Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

emule downloading

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

emule downloading

Postby sweeve » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:03 am

can anyone suggest anything to make downloading faster from emule, i am limited to a 2.5mb broadband connection so i know this is the main factor but any other tips someone might have ( buying accessories etc...)

cheers
sweeve

Postby Artie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:20 am

The only thing which might help would be to have a high upload ratio, and to enable obfuscation.

Aside from that, there really isn't anything you can do. eMule operates on a network of peers, so if those peers limit their outgoing bandwidth, or their ISPs do, then that will hinder the speed at which you or other people download from them.

Since I've used eMule, I've probably uploaded 50 times more data than downloaded, but that's only me. The majority of users, in my opinion, take more than give, since there's a huge "want" factor associated with P2P. The **AA also plays an indirect part in capping uploads.

If you want fast downloads, then use either BT or NGs, but don't expect there to be rare and older files found on eD2K/Kad.

Edit: Btw, how hard would it have been to just put your question in the eMule forum?
Artie

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:56 pm

good question, artie - moved ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby LANjackal » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:09 pm

Fast downloading over eMule is a trick reserved for mavens like zim and lordpake (IIRC). You need:

1 - high ID
2 - high demand files since ED2K/Kad use credit systems
3 - high upload bandwidth for 2 above
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby zbeast » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:32 pm

The only time I got fast speed out of emule is when I was running it on a Full T1.
emule seems to run real slow on ADSL connections.
Most of it has to do with the asymmetrical nature of that type of network.
Emule spends a lot of it’s time looking for new sources for the file your trying to download this eats up bandwidth that would be better put to use for download files.

Another factor that makes emule slow is that lot of the peers you’re trying to connect to
Don’t have good connections to the Internet. If you click on a currently active download
You’ll see that each source is only providing you 1k or less.

It’s just the nature of things me I just cue up a bunch files I’m looking for then walk away. I will get the files eventually.

The biggest threat to your download speed is location of your peers.
The other biggest threat to you transfer speed is the loss of school networks.
They are the best source for solid download sources, with schools starting to block
transfer speeds are dropping.

I run a real time network-monitoring tool just to see whose connecting to me.
I’ve noticed that lots of my file sources come from schools and for transatlantic connections, which are real bad.
As more and more people start to get Internet access speeds will start to pick up again.

Other things that can slow you down, if your router supports Qos turn it off and see if your transfer speeds improve. This router feature is more often or not badly written and is just incompatible with P2P.

I did network audit this weekend and found that my old 3com router was being over loaded and dumping packets on the floor.
Spend way too much cash and finished my network upgrade to gigabit.
Improving speeds greatly. (Going to gigabit wont improve your download troubles tho.)
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby qm2003 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:56 pm

It is not unusual for me to see download rates of 300+ KB/sec while uploading with 60 KB/sec. On the other hand i'm getting just 5 KB/sec right now with another file.

It is always a question of the files you're after and the crowd participating in the same endeavour as in every other p2p.

As long as you don't shoot yourself in your leg by crippling your connecting with a poor router and/or insane client settings (or a shitty isp).

So much for ed2k being slow ... ;)

Btw. the bittorrent protocoll is known for wasting bandwidth.
How to setup Emule. A small checklist Schmu's MuleDoc
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing. In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it, stupid ?
qm2003

Postby Debaser, The » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:22 am

300+

Me too!

I dl a 1.4GB movie in an hour or so from a single source.... crazy or what!!

Speed isnt an issue with me even when it can take a month to get a title.
The movies I want tend to be rare, and so by the time I have finished pi**ing and moaning about not getting a start on a prog like WinMX, i will have completed the dl on eMule :)
Debaser, The

Postby Andu » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:16 am

LANjackal wrote:Fast downloading over eMule is a trick reserved for mavens like zim and lordpake (IIRC). You need:

1 - high ID
2 - high demand files since ED2K/Kad use credit systems
3 - high upload bandwidth for 2 above

There is no trick just common sense.

Some of these might be helpful tho.

http://forum.emule-project.net/index.php?showforum=76
Andu

Postby Seizure » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:00 am

I found a guide to the changes to the default settings to get quicker downloads. (Can't remember where though, although it was a quick google search). I followed the suggestions and get fairly good download speeds now (once it has been running an hour or so). Highid is important, I had to change some settings on my router (port forwarding) to get a high id.

Just had a quick google and came back with this:-

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t8650.html

which looks fairly similar to the guide I used.
Seizure

Postby Ratt » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:34 pm

One easy way to get high speeds is to, you know, start many concurrent downloads? (not too many either - certainly no more than 20 files at a time - or you'll choke your connection).

Just think ahead a little, and start downloading the movie/TV series that you'll want to be watching next week now. All it takes is a little foresight.
Ratt

Postby king8654 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:39 pm

I have never used eMule before, which is surprising because it is the only P2P application for which I have not at least experienced.

BUT I have never had any need to. UseNet for Speed, KCeasy for MP3's, BitTorrent for selection. eMule has never appealed to me, but there are many Slycks who vow by it every day.

Oh well, go grab your high ID.
"Pirating when its legal is like getting a vasectomy. Its not fun without the venom."
http://www.myweddingisover.com - Wedding/Relationship Based Auction Site
king8654

Postby IceCube » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:05 am

BitTorrent isn't very good for selection save being a member to dozens of private sites that you HAVE to keep up a good ratio at each (not to mention, log in every so often half the time) Plus, BitTorrent suffers the same problems in private trackers as they do public trackers - all the files eventually go away in dead swarms.

eMule picks up where BitTorrent leaves off thanks to it's passive nature (and various niche communities that connect through ED2K) You can find films from the 80's on there, you can find obscure music on there you sometimes simply can't get on BitTorrent, etc.

Of course, don't download popular things too many times on the network, that's what UseNet is for.

Then again, not everyone is like me in the fact that I tend to track down some of the most obscure music in genre's other than rock or metal (same goes for video games, apps, etc. I still remember finding two very old and obscure games from the 70's on there that I played when I was really young. Couldn't believe it)
IceCube

Postby qm2003 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:38 am

Icecube, i have to correct you a little. :wink:

You can find movies back almost from the beginning of the 20th century on ed2k.
As long as they have been published on DVD.

Just go to IMDB (or any other movie related site), pick a movie and look for it on ed2k.
The chances to find it are not bad.
How to setup Emule. A small checklist Schmu's MuleDoc
P2P is not piracy, it's marketing. In fact, if your music or movie is NOT being downloaded, you should be WORRIED !
If you can't even give it away for free, how do you expect to sell it, stupid ?
qm2003

Return to eMule / kad