Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Does eMule Favor Obfuscated Users?

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Does eMule Favor Obfuscated Users?

Postby IceCube » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:42 pm

I've had obfuscation on for a while and I noticed something a few days back in my upload window. I monitered this and it seems to be relatively consistent. Is it possible that eMule prefers other obfuscated clients over non-obfuscated clients? I look at clients I'm uploading to and it's all dominently users who activated obfuscation. Yet when I click on the clients in my queue, there's maybe one or two users obfuscated out of the usual 100+ clients on there.

Or is there more to it then that? I'd hate to screw over clients with obfuscation deactivated is all. I'm focused on broadcasting my files over the network as broadly as possible (AKA clogging Zim's search results :twisted: :lol: ) so I don't want to necessarily favor certain clients with specific settings at all - unless they are simply leeching off of me and not helping me upload to other users on my queue line.
IceCube

Postby Drake » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:01 pm

I've been using the obfuscation feature since it came out and I've never noticed anything like this. I'm using the latest version of eMule and roughly half the clients downloading from me don't have obfuscation enabled.
Drake

Postby IceCube » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:52 pm

Strange. I noticed that there are options to allow only obfuscated connections or to not allow obfuscated users, but neither checkbox is ticked. :?

I'll keep an eye on my uploads further, but everytime I see it, it's almost always like this. I have a theory though. Maybe my client doens't really detect obfuscated users until I'm actually uploading to them. Then it says, 'yeah, this user is obfuscated' whereas it's not so sure on the actually queue line. I dunno if that actually makes sense or not though.
IceCube

Postby IneptVagrant » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:08 am

Perhaps the clients w/o obfuscation are simply loggin off the network before they get the file. -- mabey getting the files from other sources outside emule?

Clients aren't removed from your queue when they go offline. When they reach the top of your queue and your client goes to connect to them, doesn't find them, only then will it be removed from the queue. So a client could be in your queue list for days and not be online, assumeing your queue was that long.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby LD50% » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:36 am

It may also be because the indexing server (mentioning no names) boots non-OP traffic.

This I have noticed too and just adds to my fervently mounting opposition to the said (or not) servers tactics..... :evil:
LD50%

Postby IceCube » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:36 am

It fluctuates around the 100 line long mark. At worst, a user may find that it takes 3 hours to get a file (file priority normal typically) Compared to some users, I'm thinking my line is relatively short. :)
IceCube

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:09 am

Although my ISP doesn't block traffic so I don't need obfuscation, I have enabled it. My thoughts were that since a client can tick 'enable obfuscation only' then I can potentially miss those as sources.
Personally I think the exclusivity of this feature should be taken out - its really just a poor-man's way of trying to cut the other clients from the network (ie a typical mule fanboy tool)
"I'd hate to be a teetotaler. Imagine getting up in the morning and knowing that's as good as you're going to feel all day"
- Dean Martin
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:04 pm

eMule, by default (none of the boxes ticked), should enable PO for any client that 'needs' it. Of course that requires the one that 'need' PO to check the enable button, so if they are so clueless to not know they are being throttled and what PO does they 'need' to leave the ed2k network IMO.

It's just teh nazi server, possibly soon to be servers that wants it enabled for all clients, even for the ones which don't need it.

EDIT: Screw it, typo stays. :lol:
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby dakiller » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:04 am

Unbiased_Opinion wrote:eMule, by default (none of the boxes ticked), should enable PO for any client that 'needs' it. Of course that requires the one that 'need' PO to check the enable button, so if they are so clueless to not know they are being throttled and what PO does they 'need' to leave the ed2k network IMO.

It's just teh nazi server, possibly soon to be servers that wants it enabled for all clients, even for the ones which don't need it.

EDIT: Screw it, typo stays. :lol:

brilliant explaination,
if a little elitist...

it will all shake out in the end,
it always does
man,i'm sick of following my dreams
i'm just gonna ask where they're headed and hook up with em later

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby Andu » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:50 pm

NocturnalVagabond wrote:Although my ISP doesn't block traffic so I don't need obfuscation, I have enabled it. My thoughts were that since a client can tick 'enable obfuscation only' then I can potentially miss those as sources.
Personally I think the exclusivity of this feature should be taken out - its really just a poor-man's way of trying to cut the other clients from the network (ie a typical mule fanboy tool)

Well you are wrong. If the remote client asks for an obfuscated connection then your client will concur (version must be 0.47b+ obviously). Therefore the feature does only really make sense for people who can't upload to non obfuscated clients at all because the client opens so many slots until the limit is reached and it still doesn't upload as much as it can. As the new version spreads further the problem will become less and less grave.
Andu

Postby Ratt » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:01 pm

I'm seeing a major increase in obfuscated clients. At least half seems right.

So, Andu, out of curiosity: are you using obfuscation yourself?
Ratt

Postby Andu » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:16 pm

Yea for two reasons.

First the egoistical view that people who are completely unaware of their throttled status will upload to me. These people might actually have upload bandwith to spare for those that connect with an obfuscated line.

And the other is that I want people to download the stuff that share. Especially the rare content shouldn't be restricted just because someone doesn't understand that his problems with up and downloads occur because of a throttled connection.
Andu

Postby zim » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:26 pm

just for fun i turned on the switch for ob connections only. the one that says not to...

left it run for 24 hours... and i didnt see any change in my average download or upload rate at all.

but in clients. it did get rid of all those "other" clients that mostly leech and never upload to me.
zim

Postby Andu » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:09 am

Hm my stats currently show more than 80% 0.47c clients. Even if the figure is not entirely reliable it shows that there shouldn't be a problem. Unless of course you are sharing rare content. Then trouble might be more substantial
Andu

Return to eMule / kad