Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Kad Network Issues (Help Needed)

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Kad Network Issues (Help Needed)

Postby Cracker » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:50 pm

I just installed emule on my computer but am unable to connect to the Kad Network. I have read on another forum where people said you need to bootstrap but there is nothing there to bootstrap to.. the screen is blank. Can someone give me some ideas on how to get it to connect? Thanks!
Cracker

Postby LD50% » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:00 pm

1.did you enable it? Options/connections/bottom right checkbox.

2. are you downloading anything?

edit: 3. wait.... :wink:
LD50%

Postby Cracker » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:09 pm

1. Yes it's enabled. 2. No I'm not downloading anything. Thanks
Cracker

Postby LD50% » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:24 pm

Download something...... :wink:

Edit: are you trying to just use the KAD and not the serverlist?
LD50%

Postby IceCube » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:33 pm

If my memory serves me correctly, you need at least one IP address connected to Kad in order to get connected to the network. those are easy to find by connecting to a server and downloading something, then connecting to Kad. You can easily disconnect from the ED2K servers and rely on IP addresses afterwards to get connected. I hear there are places where you can get some IP addresses and connect that way, but I'm not familiar with that yet. I've never had issues with Kad, so it makes it harder for me to troubleshoot saddly :(
IceCube

Postby LD50% » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:44 pm

IceCube wrote:If my memory serves me correctly, you need at least one IP address connected to Kad in order to get connected to the network. those are easy to find by connecting to a server and downloading something, then connecting to Kad. You can easily disconnect from the ED2K servers and rely on IP addresses afterwards to get connected. I hear there are places where you can get some IP addresses and connect that way, but I'm not familiar with that yet. I've never had issues with Kad, so it makes it harder for me to troubleshoot saddly :(

That was exactly what I was getting to..... :wink:
LD50%

Postby Cracker » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:49 pm

Thanks guys, that worked! I feel like a complete idiot now that I realize how easy that was! Thanks again for the help!
Cracker

Postby Ratt » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:35 pm

Cracker wrote:I feel like a complete idiot now that I realize how easy that was!

Don't feel that way, the start-up of Kad is not at all transparant to anyone who hasn't used it before. I really think that future versions are going to have to come up with some small mechanism that lets Emule find at least one IP address of another Kad user on its own, so that it can bootstrap all by itself every single time.

Also, while we're on the subject, the auto-connect feature has been letting me down lately. My provider disconnects for a minute or so every 24 hours (or even more frequently :roll: ) and while the Emule server-connection always manages to turn itself back on, Kad seems to give up much more easily and stays dead. Annoying.
Ratt

Return to eMule / kad