Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

DonkeyServer No. 1

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Drake » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:23 pm

reyfer wrote:But when I use Global Search, my search goes through every server no matter what server I'm connected to, and these servers flood my search results with the "get emule 0.47c" message, so even if it's true they have every right to decide what client they want on their machine, it is also true that they don't have the right to flood my search results in a spam-like fashion when I use Global Search while being connected to another server.

Personally, I think everyone should enable obfuscation but I wasn't aware that this server was acting this way when it spotted a client that didn't enable obfuscation.

If you can't use a client that has this feature then you should just remove the donkey servers from your list and you'll never see their message again.
Drake

Postby Ratt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:32 pm

But even so, enabling a new feature for a reason that has nothing to do with the purpose for which it was designed seems like a temporary and clumsy workaround at best. And what happens if the Chinese network-parasites start to use obfuscation too?

Searching works fine on Donkeyserver N.2 at the moment, so I'll think I'll just use that one.
Ratt

Postby tay_highfield » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:40 pm

reyfer wrote:
zim wrote:
the people who run THAT server have every right in the world to decide what clients they want on THEIR machine.

dont like it. dont use it. use another. run your own. either way you have no right to complain how someone runs a free server that they pay for. if they want to ban everyone with an A in their name. they can. if they want to ban all clients but those that use po. they can.

But when I use Global Search, my search goes through every server no matter what server I'm connected to, and these servers flood my search results with the "get emule 0.47c" message, so even if it's true they have every right to decide what client they want on their machine, it is also true that they don't have the right to flood my search results in a spam-like fashion when I use Global Search while being connected to another server.

Why don't you just take the servers that are doing this out of your list. No more messages then!

As people have said "If you don't like it...don't use that server!"
Should really think of something to put here.
tay_highfield

Postby Drake » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:45 pm

Ratt wrote:But even so, enabling a new feature for a reason that has nothing to do with the purpose for which it was designed seems like a temporary and clumsy workaround at best. And what happens if the Chinese network-parasites start to use obfuscation too?

I'm not sure what your remark about Chinese networks is all about. In the last 2-3 months I've noticed a huge increase in the amount of Chinese users I connect to and I usually download almost as much as I upload to these clients.

If you're referring to the Chinese leech clients, then you should understand that obfuscation is not intended eliminate any leech client.
Drake

Postby hemi426 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:51 pm

reyfer wrote:flooding my search results"

What exactly do you mean by "flooding"?

When I do a global server search, I get only a single instance of "Please use eMule 0.47c and enable protocol obfuscation ..." and it comes from "DonkeyServer No1" and no other server. To me, that's more of a sprinkle than a flood. Do you get many instances of this message?

I'm not sure if I understand the impact of the problem here. The reason that the KAD network was created was to substitute for the ED2K servers, so even if a lot of servers start shutting the door for older clients, why not just use Kad for connecting and searching? Or better yet, use a verified link site to find files instead of blind-searching the network, which can often lead to fake files and viruses.

Considering all the fake and boobie-trapped servers out there being run by anti-p2ps and police, why do people still place such a high importance on using ed2k servers instead of just connecting to the much-safer Kad network?

This is the funny part... Because the ed2k protocol does not support server text messages in search results (probably a good feature to prevent spam abuse) the server must send out the "message" as a downloadable file. "DonkeyServer No1" sends out this file (942 MB) ed2k://|file|Please use eMule 0.47c and enable protocol obfuscation to get results from this server (62.241.53.2)|987987987|22282E30678D61552222222222222222|/

I wonder if any people try downloading it? If so, then I wonder if it's even possible to reverse-engineer a file having that hash value (real , not just spoofed) so that anyone who downloads the file "Please use eMule 0.47c .." will end up with a real 942MB file that passes hash-check? .... Just a wild thought. :D

@Drake .... A few Chinese clients hammer all the servers to get faster responses. This is the same thing that killed the ed2k network a few years ago when a lot of people started using the DonkeyBot, and the servers all got so overloaded that the network froze.
Last edited by hemi426 on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hemi426

Postby Ratt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:52 pm

Drake wrote:If you're referring to the Chinese leech clients, then you should understand that obfuscation is not intended eliminate any leech client.

You just reiterated my point, i.e. they're using obfuscation in a way for which it was not intended.

If this isn't about fighting off the Chinese leech clients, then I don't know what to make of the earlier comments...

Many server insist on PO capable clients to lock out users of a certain chinese ed2k client that abuses the servers resources by constantly sending search requests.

I'm saying that what they're doing seems like a very temporary workaround.
Ratt

Postby IceCube » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:12 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:then i suggest you complain to the people responsible for how the protocol works

That won't be possible since they have a gag order over them last I checked.

There was a client known as Vagaa that was abusing the eDonkey servers from a while ago. The story was that it was made by a Chinese devloper. I don't know the state of it today, but I heard that people complained about it and they were ignored (this was from a while ago) Vagaa would effectively fake itself to be the most up to date eMule client and hammer the servers with info requests (or something like that) It probably won't help if any server just asks all protocols to obfuscate because it would be a snap to implement obfuscation in the abusive client.

There's suppose to be protections already in place against abusive clients like Vagaa on the servers though.
IceCube

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:33 pm

i meant he should bitch to people who designed a protocol (not a client) that sends messages to users from servers they are not connected to. at least, that was the impression i got from the complaint. if what is happening has been misrepresented, then i withdraw that comment - like, for example, he really IS connected to the server in question. in which case, he has no one but himself to blame ;)

in any case, it really doesn't matter if anyone is under a gag order. it's my position that a server owner has the "right" to do whatever they want on that server, and if you don't like it, then stay away. unless the protocol itself forces you to get messages from a server you aren't connected to, you have no complaint, in my book. and if the protocol DOES force this, then the fault is not with the server but with the protocol itself.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that no matter how bad someone thinks a server may suck, unless i misunderstand something badly here, the ppl who run that server have the right to suck :lol:
MrFredPFL

Postby IceCube » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:44 pm

I never have enabled obfuscation. I did a glodal search (and I have the Donkey servers in my static list) and never recieved any message. Does the IP of these Donkey servers you connect to start with 62, 66, or 72?
IceCube

Postby reyfer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:13 pm

Oh, never mind. I guess believing that people here would be able to help instead of insulting was a waste if time. I already started using only Kad in my client.
reyfer

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:19 pm

you asked for specific help, and you got it. several people told you what you could do to help, and others asked for more info, like the ip address of the server in question, which you still haven't provided. you expressed an opinion, and some of us disagreed with it. in particular, i disagreed with you about who has the "right" to do what. life goes on :roll:
MrFredPFL

Postby tay_highfield » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:25 pm

reyfer wrote:Oh, never mind. I guess believing that people here would be able to help instead of insulting was a waste if time. I already started using only Kad in my client.

No screen shots, no deatiled information and no answers to the questions that have been asked.

Let us help you!

If you are not willing to input anything useful to the people on this forum they are not going to output anything helpful.
tay_highfield

Postby zim » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:27 pm

reyfer wrote:
zim wrote:
the people who run THAT server have every right in the world to decide what clients they want on THEIR machine.

dont like it. dont use it. use another. run your own. either way you have no right to complain how someone runs a free server that they pay for. if they want to ban everyone with an A in their name. they can. if they want to ban all clients but those that use po. they can.

But when I use Global Search, my search goes through every server no matter what server I'm connected to, and these servers flood my search results with the "get emule 0.47c" message, so even if it's true they have every right to decide what client they want on their machine, it is also true that they don't have the right to flood my search results in a spam-like fashion when I use Global Search while being connected to another server.

NO. they can do whatever they want. PERIOD!

If you dont like what result you get from them. remove them from your serverlist.. :roll:

(damm its hard to argue with stupidity like this without getting personal.)

When the hell will you greedy bastards learn that when someone provides a service for FREE. they can pretty much provide it in any way they want. with any rules they want. and if you dont like it you can stfu. you dont HAVE to use it. you're not entitled to it. its not a right. you take it as is or shut the hell up!
Last edited by zim on Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zim

Postby reyfer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:27 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:you asked for specific help, and you got it. several people told you what you could do to help, and others asked for more info, like the ip address of the server in question, which you still haven't provided. you expressed an opinion, and some of us disagreed with it. in particular, i disagreed with you about who has the "right" to do what. life goes on :roll:

ed2k://|file|Please use eMule 0.47c and enable protocol obfuscation to get results from this server (62.241.53.2)|987987987|18262174E844274E2222222222222222|/">Please use eMule 0.47c and enable protocol obfuscation to get results from this server (62.241.53.2)
And that is while being connected to Chez Toff
reyfer

Postby zim » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:33 pm

its been said at least twice... lets see if three times makes it sink in.

REMOVE THAT SERVER FROM YOUR SERVERLIST!

you have no right to complain how someone provides a FREE service to you.

it makes you look greedy and stupid.

You're lucky they even bother telling you. If i was running it i wouldnt even send out the message. Just ip ban everyone who doesnt comply with the rule.
zim

Postby tay_highfield » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:35 pm

I think this is a common problem

http://www.amule.org/amule/thread.php?t ... 5708e5d4ef

Best thing you can do (as mentioned before) is remove these servers from your list or (as mentioned before) run your own ed2k server.

I'm afriad it will just be a case of waiting until your client developers update the client to run in harmony with the server code run by the most popular severs.[/url]
tay_highfield

Postby reyfer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:39 pm

tay_highfield wrote:I think this is a common problem

http://www.amule.org/amule/thread.php?t ... 5708e5d4ef

Best thing you can do (as mentioned before) is remove these servers from your list or (as mentioned before) run your own ed2k server.

I'm afriad it will just be a case of waiting until your client developers update the client to run in harmony with the server code run by the most popular severs.[/url]

At least someone here can use civilized wording, thanks
reyfer

Postby hemi426 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:40 pm

@reyfer - I'm still waiting for an answer to my previous question:

Are you getting that notice just one time per search or are you getting, as in your words, a "FLOOD" of those messages in every global search?

And if so, then how many per search?
hemi426

Postby reyfer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:47 pm

hemi426 wrote:@reyfer - I'm still waiting for an answer to my previous question:

Are you getting that notice just one time per search or are you getting, as in your words, a "FLOOD" of those messages in every global search?

And if so, then how many per search?

Last time i got 15 instances of that message, but the first times almost all my search results were that message. An yes, every global search.
reyfer

Postby tay_highfield » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:59 pm

The way I would look at is like this Reyfer:

The two things you don't have control over are:

1. The server replying with the message you are getting annoyed with.
2. The client not being compatable with the server in your list. (Unless you are a Linix guru).

The one thing you do have control over:

1. The ability to change the servers held in you clients server list. Simply delete the servers that are sending this message and then when carrying out a global search you should no longer receive the message.

Not ideal and not the answer you were looking for I agree...but hey what can you do. :)
tay_highfield

Postby hemi426 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:10 pm

I can't believe that you are getting the same message 15 times or more in every global search. Are these all from the same server, or different servers?

I cannot duplicate your problem. I only get one message per global search, and it's comong from Donkey server No1.

As I feel like I'm constantly pulling teeth here, could you just post a screenshot, please? That would answer ALL my questions. (just search for something very rare [or restrict search paramaters to lower results] and not copyrighted)
hemi426

Postby Drake » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:15 pm

reyfer wrote:ed2k://|file|Please use eMule 0.47c and enable protocol obfuscation to get results from this server (62.241.53.2)|987987987|18262174E844274E2222222222222222|/">Please use eMule 0.47c and enable protocol obfuscation to get results from this server (62.241.53.2)
And that is while being connected to Chez Toff

I think Chez Toff is a spy/spam server used to seed fake files. It's odd that they would encourage people to enable protocol obfuscation.

You should only use servers that are verified to be legitimate. Check out Gruk's list and import their met file. http://www.gruk.org/list.php
Drake

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:33 pm

Is anyone sharing this 'so-called' file? I also, can not duplicate this problem, even when I choose to disable PO entirely when connected to any of the DonkeyServers.

The reason I ask the question is this:
When you perform a search, if you have the complete sources option set to 2 (or more), then you possibly would not see the 'flooded' results.
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby JayC32 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:27 am

Have you tried with one of the other donkey servers (Ones with IPs beginning 62)?

I have to admit I have not experienced this problem, but where it has been mentioned the advice has been the same as zim has said remove the server from your list.

Have you tried to raise the issue with the developers of ML and see when and if they plan on introducing the OP?

Comsidering your first post in Emules' forum you can hardly comment on
JayC32

Postby napho » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:06 am

There's been a war going on for a long time between eMule and eDonkey. Now that the official client has surrendered, the eMule side is claiming total victory. Also, MLDonkey has always been looked upon as a hated leecher mod. You'll never get any respect using that. Servers have the right to do whatever they want, be they eDonkey, opennap, DC, or torrent trackers. I love how people are always looking for a fight. The only reason anyone uses the Donkey network is to pirate copyright material. Stick to stealing and not debating which client you have the right to steal with. Use eMule if you have to, hey, it's real pretty. :P
napho

PreviousNext

Return to eMule / kad