Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

DonkeyServer No. 1

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

DonkeyServer No. 1

Postby reyfer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:39 am

What the hell is wrong here? Why should I be forced to use a specific client to access this server?
My home PC runs on Kubuntu Linux, and my donkey client is MLDonkey core, with the Sancho GUI. And every time I make a search while connected to Donkey Server #1, I get a message that says "PLEASE USE EMULE 0.47c AND IMPLEMENT PROTOCOL OBFUSCATION TO GET RESULTS FROM THIS SERVER". So those of us that can't OR won't use eMule can't use that server? Are they really that crazy? :evil:
reyfer

Postby Artie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:46 am

Just use a different server. I don't think it really makes any difference in the results that come up since your searches filter through down the line anyway.
Artie

Postby reyfer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:49 am

Yes I know that, but the purpose of my post was to ask WHY should a server force me to use a specific client. I use a lot of servers, and I want to know if all the Donkey Servers in that same range are gonna force me to use eMule 0.47c, so I can change my servers list.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention that the message just floods my search results, wich is unacceptable
reyfer

Postby LD50% » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:25 am

Donkey Server #2 does it too, and I agree it's pretty stupid.

Protocol obfuscation is supposed to be an option as it is not even a security feature really, just to unblock ports if your ISP is not playing fair.

Not quite sure who you would complain to though? :?
LD50%

Postby JayC32 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:48 am

eMules' forum there's a thread about it here: http://forum.emule-project.net/index.ph ... pic=114238
JayC32

Postby zim » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:02 am

its their server. they are providing it for free. they can set whatever rules they want.

if you dont like it... well.. tough huh. setup your own edonkey server and pay for the hosting and bandwidth. then you can set whatever rules YOU want... :roll:

as for the linux angle... its free open source.. you can download the source for emule. do some of that much touted compiling your own i hear from linux zealots.. :lol:
zim

Postby JayC32 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:55 am

Incorrect zim eMule devs have absolutely nothing to do with server software or maintanance, nor are they involved with the actualy servers. The software for the servers is done by lugdunum.

The people who code eMule work only on the client though closely with lug so that it maintains a high compatability with the servers and to test new features so server software can be updated.
JayC32

Postby qm2003 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:13 am

Many server insist on PO capable clients to lock out users of a certain chinese ed2k client that abuses the servers resources by constantly sending search requests.

Luckily this clients doesn't support the protocoll obfuscation (yet).

If you want to thank someone for your troubles, thank those chinese guys. 8)

Btw. the server admins were also considering blocking the whole chinese ip range to fight the abuse.
qm2003

Postby JayC32 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:19 am

Have you tried to run eMule using an emulator?
JayC32

Postby Ratt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:57 am

Admittedly, when I'm on that server doing a search (using Emule 0.47c I might add) I do get lots of "search spam" now, all of it entitled
"PLEASE USE EMULE 0.47c AND IMPLEMENT PROTOCOL OBFUSCATION TO GET RESULTS FROM THIS SERVER".

Kind of startled me when I got a search result that was nothing but hundreds of files llike that.
Ratt

Postby qm2003 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:22 am

But do you have protocoll obfuscation "enabled" in .47c ?

I have and i don't get any of those messages.

Visit this thread in the emule-project support forum to get more info:
http://forum.emule-project.net/index.ph ... pic=114238
qm2003

Postby reyfer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:49 am

I see neither zim nor JayC32 got the point, so I will try again:
WHY SHOULD I BE FORCED TO USE A SPECIFIC CLIENT? IS IT NOW AN EMULE ONLY NETWORK? WHAT HAPPENS TO ALL THE OTHER CLIENTS, EVEN EMULE MODS THAT DON'T HAVE PROTOCOL OBFUSCATION?
If the server "suggests" that I use PO, and eMule and Lugdunum release the specification to the developers of my client so they can implement it, no prob. But right now, only eMule and Lugdunum have it.
reyfer

Postby qm2003 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:01 am

Then use another server or KAD until your client gets updated.

Just for your information, http://www.amule.org is the nearest replacement for emule there is on linux.
Some of its developers are regular visitors in the emule support forum (KRY for example).
qm2003

Postby reyfer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:06 am

qm2003 wrote:Then use another server or KAD until your client gets updated.

Just for your information, http://www.amule.org is the nearest replacement for emule there is on linux.
Some of its developers are regular visitors in the emule support forum (KRY for example).

That's what I'm doing, using KAD and other servers. And about aMule, there's a bug in the new version, whenever you perform a search, if you close the search tab, the client crashes.
reyfer

Postby JayC32 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:08 pm

eMule is open source, the code for the PO feature is there in the source code, therefore the devs of the client you use can easily get hold of it and code it into their software if they know what they are doing. Maybe you should ask them why they haven't implimented it?

I got your point by the way and so did zim. He is correct in the sentiment of his comment. If you don't like it run your own server, FOSS has that advantage to it.

If they can't keep up with the server software then tough luck.
JayC32

Postby zbeast » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:32 pm

I think what the managers of those servers are trying to do is speed up the connections across those servers.
They can do that only by trying to hide the traffic they're getting from the local ISP's.

On the subject of packet-shaping I just purchased a Packeteer packetshaper from Dovebid.com for $156.00
As soon as I get it installed and configured I'll post pictures.
zbeast

Postby IceCube » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:48 pm

It is strange beause I don't reciev the requests to obfuscate and I do know I connect to those servers occasionally (not right now ATM)

Edit: Though I am aware of fake servers named exactly the same as the real DonkeyServers. Their IP's are something like 72.51.37.XXX:XXXX
IceCube

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:11 pm

i see you don't get the point, reyfer. no one forces you to use any server. you do not pay the people who run that server for its use. they are entitled to run their server on their own terms. if you don't like the terms, fine - don't use it. all the bitching in the world changes nothing here. it's their server, run by their rules. you don't have to like those rules. they don't care one way or another, and they are under no obligation to you whatsoever.
MrFredPFL

Postby reyfer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:36 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:i see you don't get the point, reyfer. no one forces you to use any server. you do not pay the people who run that server for its use. they are entitled to run their server on their own terms. if you don't like the terms, fine - don't use it. all the bitching in the world changes nothing here. it's their server, run by their rules. you don't have to like those rules. they don't care one way or another, and they are under no obligation to you whatsoever.

You are right, but when I perform a global search, I get results from a cross section of the servers, and these servers flood my search result with the "please use eMule 0.47c" message. Would it be too much of a pain for them just not acknowledge my search, instead of flooding my search results?
reyfer

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:45 pm

well, i can only guess that they do that because if they simply ignore your search, they are correct in assuming you won't change anything, since you'll have no idea anyone wanted you to do anything. in this scenario, you continue to connect for no reason, since you won't be getting results. this leads to people wondering "why don't i get any results???" and a group of people who say "this server sux0rz!!!11" - oh wait, we already have that group saying it, just for a slightly different reason ;)

i don't know if there is a more efficient way for them to notify you about their wishes - i don't use emule, and am not familiar with the details of the protocol. in any event, the solution is easy ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby IceCube » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:24 pm

Global searches search through all the servers regardless of what server you connect to. I can see this being a problem. Perhapse it would be an idea to block those servers in the mean time until a better solution comes up.

Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure how one goes about blocking the servers, I've always just used static lists on connection and never gave servers a second thought after that.
IceCube

Postby zim » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:42 pm

JayC32 wrote:Incorrect zim eMule devs have absolutely nothing to do with server software or maintanance, nor are they involved with the actualy servers. The software for the servers is done by lugdunum.

The people who code eMule work only on the client though closely with lug so that it maintains a high compatability with the servers and to test new features so server software can be updated.

never said anything about the emule creators.

the people who run THAT server have every right in the world to decide what clients they want on THEIR machine.

dont like it. dont use it. use another. run your own. either way you have no right to complain how someone runs a free server that they pay for. if they want to ban everyone with an A in their name. they can. if they want to ban all clients but those that use po. they can.
zim

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:53 pm

zim wrote:the people who run THAT server have every right in the world to decide what clients they want on THEIR machine.

dont like it. dont use it. use another. run your own. either way you have no right to complain how someone runs a free server that they pay for. if they want to ban everyone with an A in their name. they can. if they want to ban all clients but those that use po. they can.

exactly. it's a shame so many people either don't understand or accept this fact of life.
MrFredPFL

Postby reyfer » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:07 pm

zim wrote:
the people who run THAT server have every right in the world to decide what clients they want on THEIR machine.

But when I use Global Search, my search goes through every server no matter what server I'm connected to, and these servers flood my search results with the "get emule 0.47c" message, so even if it's true they have every right to decide what client they want on their machine, it is also true that they don't have the right to flood my search results in a spam-like fashion when I use Global Search while being connected to another server.
reyfer

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:22 pm

then i suggest you complain to the people responsible for how the protocol works, or stop using global search.
MrFredPFL

Next

Return to eMule / kad