Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

emule speeds

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: emule speeds

Postby PonyExpress » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:12 am

Klaus_1250 wrote:Depends on how much your uploadcapacity is (which turn in credits) and how much your are downloading and how popular the file is.

Total # of sources = Complete Sources + Incomplete Sources. This is part of the math. Complete Sources are difficult to get moving up their queue because you have nothing to offer them, and your DL/UP Modifier will remain poor for all Complete Sources. Incomplete Sources by far outweigh the completed because you have a chance to offer them data, your Modifier will help you move upwards on their queue faster. The exchange method / establishing a relationship of trade is very effective so to find a file with many incomplete sources will = faster overall.

It's these incomplete sources who are impatient. I share very little. The incomplete file that I download will be one of the only files to continuously run uploaders through the queue, making sure that everybody is as updated as I am, when a new chunk comes in it's distributed amongst those who need it. Quickly if possible. I am one of those impatient - and I hope that everybody else is too!! In other words, I have established a Modifier with them all, and I will recieve the benefit sharing, they will return the favor, so to speak. If they too have a small list of shared files, the only file that they distribute will be that common file we are both into.

There seems to be the conception that sharing 300Gb of data will improve things for you. True, you will make alot of friends and establish a Modifier with a whole lot of strangers. But will you ever DL from these clients? That remains the question in my mind. It would make sense to me, that if you want to 'make friends' (as I call it) with people, you want to make friends with as many of those who are downloading the same file as you. So myslef, as well as a long list of incomplete sources would be the best chance of boosting a modifier (score/credit). To ensure I hit 'just the right people', I typically share 2-3Gb of files. Not many, just what I know the network needs. Rare files.

I hope to boost my Modifier with as many incomplete sources as possible. Complete Sources are slow moving. This is the reason the tail-end of a file takes forever, No Needed Parts for 30% of clients, and those Complete Sources make you wait the full duration. Hopefully, by this time, you or one of your Starred clients will get the last chunk soon. And of course you'll get the red carpet treatment from anybody you've helped in the past.
PonyExpress

Postby ntscuser » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:56 am

PonyExpress wrote:To ensure I hit 'just the right people', I typically share 2-3Gb of files. Not many, just what I know the network needs. Rare files.
First of all I only ever use eMule for files which are hard to find elsewhere so by their very nature they are "rare". I very seldom achieve downloads in excess of 20kb/s and then only in very short bursts.

In the past I have made a point of sharing particular hard-to-find but very popular files in the hope that someone else which begin sharing them too but I found that everyone just hits and runs. Once they have the completed file they continue to let me do all the uploading. That leaves me with a very high share ratio but still laughably slow downloads.
ntscuser

Postby Ratt » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:28 am

ntscuser wrote:In the past I have made a point of sharing particular hard-to-find but very popular files in the hope that someone else which begin sharing them too but I found that everyone just hits and runs. Once they have the completed file they continue to let me do all the uploading. That leaves me with a very high share ratio but still laughably slow downloads.

"Hard-to-find but very popular" is kind of a contradiction in terms, isn't? I would think that if something is popular then a large number of people will not give up searching for it very easily, and that conversely, sharers will try to make it easy to find. Just out of curiosity, can you give a concrete example?

As for the system itself, AFAIC, after all these years, it still works great. Even with all the leeching going on (and I do some of it myself, because when hundreds of people are sharing a popular file, there doesn't seem to be much point in giving much of that file back) the retention rate of rare files is impressive...not perfect, of course, but still. If Emule didn't exist at this point in time, someone would immediately invent it.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby ntscuser » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:40 am

Ratt wrote:"Hard-to-find but very popular" is kind of a contradiction in terms, isn't? I would think that if something is popular then a large number of people will not give up searching for it very easily, and that conversely, sharers will try to make it easy to find. Just out of curiosity, can you give a concrete example?
No. Let's just say it's not something you see everyday or even thought was physically possible! I noticed that two files on the subject from my share directory were requested much more often than anything else but for whatever reason none of the people downloading them were willing to share them afterwards with other eMule users. I even changed the names of the files to nonsense characters to discourage casual users from downloading them and blocking all my upload slots but people still managed to find them.
ntscuser

Previous

Return to eMule / kad