Slyck Chatbox - And More

Fake servers corrupting ED2K network ??

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Fake servers corrupting ED2K network ??

Postby puja399 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:53 pm

Hi,
I have been emule for a long time and since one week or so, I am seeing some new servers with very high number of files and users stats that I never saw before. These servers are from IP range 72.51.39.xxx, and having more than 200 million files, where usually top servers usually don't have more than about 100 million. Moreover, connecting those servers and doing file search returns extremely small number of results which is very unlikely. Those servers even have names like donkeyserver no1 etc., whereas original Donkey servers usually have IP ranges of 62.241.53.xxx.

I have a strong feeling that some fake servers have been set up to destabilise the ed2k network. If u study the screenshot, u will understand what I am trying to say.I have marked original servers and fake servers in the screenshot.
Your comments are requested.

http://img141.imagevenue.com/img.php?im ... _370lo.jpg
puja399

Postby P2P_G » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:56 pm

Yeah those are fakes... just replace your Server.met file in your emule folder with this file:
http://corpo.free.fr/server.met

And you will be clean :) Btw, do not upgrade your list czu you get fakes easy that way ;)
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby IceCube » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:58 pm

Fake servers is a known issue for ED2K for a while. Set up a static list or find a trustworthy .met source.

I hear connecting to these fake servers can block all uploaded file or block all searching.

Do not connect to these servers.

Though thanks for letting me know that there are fake Donkey Server No.#'s though :)
IceCube

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:01 pm

IceCube wrote:Though thanks for letting me know that there are fake Donkey Server No.#'s though :)

i bet you were shocked to learn this, eh cube? :lol:
MrFredPFL

Postby IceCube » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:03 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:
IceCube wrote:Though thanks for letting me know that there are fake Donkey Server No.#'s though :)

i bet you were shocked to learn this, eh cube? :lol:

Well, a little surprised, but mostly because I wasn't even aware of it. I personally just set up a static list and forget it. :)
IceCube

Postby LD50% » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:52 pm

I am pretty sure PG2 won't ever stop the RIAA etc, but I know for use with win32, it does a pretty good job of blocking fake ED2K servers from ever connecting from a auto update list.
LD50%

Return to eMule / kad