Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

where can i find a good ip fileter file for emule?

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby sarmin » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:47 am

sarmin

Postby qm2003 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:58 am

bluetack
qm2003

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:25 pm

You can create your own using Bluetack's Blocklist Manager:

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index. ... =02&qid=30
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby P2P_G » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:36 pm

qm2003 wrote:bluetack

Yepp! Sarmin are really holding the eMule forum alive :D
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby IneptVagrant » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:36 pm

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/nipfilter.dat.gz

just copy/paste that into config > security > ipfilter blank, then hit update. Will dl the file, and install auto.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby Sacky » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:48 am

Bluetack is supposed to be about "security", yet look at the blocklists and you'll find ISP's that throttle BT traffic and BT abusers (leechers), this is NOT a security related issue, yet they still get included, blocklists aren't really any good at keeping the RIAA/MPAA or any other copyright organisation from getting your IP anyway, these blocklists exclude innocent people from P2P when P2P isnt about excluding, its about including
Sacky

Postby tarp404 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:37 am

Sacky wrote:Bluetack is supposed to be about "security", yet look at the blocklists and you'll find ISP's that throttle BT traffic and BT abusers (leechers), this is NOT a security related issue, yet they still get included, blocklists aren't really any good at keeping the RIAA/MPAA or any other copyright organisation from getting your IP anyway, these blocklists exclude innocent people from P2P when P2P isnt about excluding, its about including

If you got a better idea I'd love to hear it.
Besides, you can decide what categories or even individual IPs to blacklist with the Bluetack lists, so problem solved.
what what in the butt
tarp404

Postby Sacky » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:57 am

If you got a better idea I'd love to hear it.

You can use IRC/Newsgroups/FTP/DC++ to get latest releases the copyright owners care about, and gnutella for general music, BT/Emule for there variety of files.
I have found that the safest way and i have yet to get caught, because its generally the RIAA who watch the FastTrack network and sue users there, and the MPAA who watch BT/Emule on the latest movie releases.
Also TOR/I2P/Proxy would work to (though slow you down, but were talking about emule here :P)
I do not support a site like Bluetack that just adds IP's to its list for the reason of "BT Abuser" when no proof is required
Sacky

Postby IneptVagrant » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:50 pm

Sacky wrote:Bluetack is supposed to be about "security", yet look at the blocklists and you'll find ISP's that throttle BT traffic and BT abusers (leechers), this is NOT a security related issue, yet they still get included, blocklists aren't really any good at keeping the RIAA/MPAA or any other copyright organisation from getting your IP anyway, these blocklists exclude innocent people from P2P when P2P isnt about excluding, its about including

You're trying to make it a black and white issue, when its most deffiently grey.

Bluetack is accually about IP research, and does has allowed those that are interested, use this research to create blacklists of IPs.

You go on to point out that 'innocent' (this is your implication) IPs are caught in the process. And I'm faily sure the noted IPs are rated > 200 ( 0 - low being the highest threat, you can adjust the threat level being filtered in eMule) and/or are apart of ranges that the file I pointed to above does not include. In others words the IPs are list just as information and are not intended to be blocked.

You're security isn't garenteed, nor does anyone claim it would protect you from scurtiny. Its just sometime that helps.

Sacky wrote:I have found that the safest way and i have yet to get caught . . .
You smell that? Thats the millions and miLLLIONS of p2p fans that also haven't been caught. Amazingly.
IneptVagrant

Postby Ratt » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:14 pm

Sacky wrote:Bluetack is supposed to be about "security", yet look at the blocklists and you'll find ISP's that throttle BT traffic and BT abusers (leechers), this is NOT a security related issue, yet they still get included

I for one support doing this. Yes, one unfortunate consequence is that the users of those ISPs are being punished along with the throttling ISP. But this is a necessary evil; it is up to those users to switch to a proper ISP as soon as they get the chance, and I don't mind giving them an extra reason for doing so.

I've been using the Bluetack lists for quite some time and am satisfied with their approach.
Ratt

Postby tarp404 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:59 pm

I was an IP Hunter at bluetack for a while. When they add in a residential IP addy, it's always only for a very good reason and only a very small subset of that ISP's addresses. Just enough of a range to make sure that the malicious IP is filtered out, nothing more. I don't see why anybody should give a shit about a few random residential IPs that are filtered, if they're not connecting with you they'll connect with somebody else, somebody who's not using that blocklist.

Sacky, I said if you got a better idea, not the same idea. I mean, geez. You're all like, use some different protocols for different stuff. You do realize you can use an IPfilter with every one of those apps (with the exception of usenet), right?
And no, an ipfilter isn't 100% safe but nothing is. But it does make things more difficult for the mafiaa to get you, and that makes it worth it.
what what in the butt
tarp404

Postby Sacky » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:29 am

You go on to point out that 'innocent' (this is your implication) IPs are caught in the process. And I'm faily sure the noted IPs are rated > 200 ( 0 - low being the highest threat, you can adjust the threat level being filtered in eMule) and/or are apart of ranges that the file I pointed to above does not include

I dont see how it makes a difference what they're rated, if its blocked its blocked, hence why it is a black and white issue (its either blocked or not)

But this is a necessary evil; it is up to those users to switch to a proper ISP as soon as they get the chance, and I don't mind giving them an extra reason for doing so.

Some people cannot just switch ISP's, some are under contract, others don't have another ISP available in this area

When they add in a residential IP addy, it's always only for a very good reason and only a very small subset of that ISP's addresses

That "good" reason can be easily faked by someone trying to spite someone, there is no proper system in place to verify that that IP was actually a BT offender (and it would be very hard to prove).

Sacky, I said if you got a better idea, not the same idea. I mean, geez. You're all like, use some different protocols for different stuff. You do realize you can use an IPfilter with every one of those apps (with the exception of usenet), right?

How is that the same idea as IPFiltering? Thos protocals i suggested are S2P (server to peer) with the exception of DC++, so it would be silly to use blocklists when we are talking about S2P

But it does make things more difficult for the mafiaa to get you, and that makes it worth it.

Now im not sure about emule so i won't comment on that, but when you use those blocklists on BitTorrent it is doing absolutely nothing to protect you, as the MAFIAA can still see your IP in the tracker.

Im not trying to start a flame war just stating my views :)
Sacky

Postby Ratt » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:45 pm

Sacky wrote:Some people cannot just switch ISP's, some are under contract, others don't have another ISP available in this area

This is changing, and the number of people without choice should be going down. It doesn't hurt to give them extra incentive to take the initiative themselves at the first opportunity that arises.
Ratt

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:00 pm

to agree with the practice of banning ip ranges for this reason is one thing. but to say it gives these people extra incentive? unless bluetack personally notifies them of their ip range being blocked by their list, and why, i don't see how it's actually giving them incentive to change ISP. it seems disingenuous to me to imply they will all realize what's happening and why.
MrFredPFL

Postby Ratt » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:23 pm

If they start doing serious downloading and sharing, then chances are that they'll eventually find out that their ISP is using anti-P2P tactics, and that there are in fact alternatives. Once they have that level of awareness, any incentive is useful.

But it's not about hurting these people, of course. It's all about hurting their ISP by making them lose customers.
Ratt

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:37 pm

Sacky wrote:
You go on to point out that 'innocent' (this is your implication) IPs are caught in the process. And I'm faily sure the noted IPs are rated > 200 ( 0 - low being the highest threat, you can adjust the threat level being filtered in eMule) and/or are apart of ranges that the file I pointed to above does not include

I dont see how it makes a difference what they're rated, if its blocked its blocked, hence why it is a black and white issue (its either blocked or not)

eMule defaults to "< 127". Hence, a good deal in the blocklist isn't accually blocked.

You can choose to be fascist, or you can choose to be moderate. The default is somewhat liberal.
IneptVagrant

Postby tarp404 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:03 am

Sacky wrote:
When they add in a residential IP addy, it's always only for a very good reason and only a very small subset of that ISP's addresses

That "good" reason can be easily faked by someone trying to spite someone, there is no proper system in place to verify that that IP was actually a BT offender (and it would be very hard to prove).

No, it can't be easily faked, because there is a system of trust involved. You think anybody can just come along and have a bunch of IP ranges inserted into the blocklist? Hell no. Besides, man, 95% of the stuff that's in the blocklist are IP ranges taken from publicly available data on the RIAA et al from IANA. You can't fake that, because anybody can check the records to determine ownership of that IP address, and by law these companies have to properly identify themselves in the records.

How is that the same idea as IPFiltering? Thos protocals i suggested are S2P (server to peer) with the exception of DC++, so it would be silly to use blocklists when we are talking about S2P

IRC isn't server to peer, anybody can transfer files. And what makes you think it would be silly to use a blocklist with a server to peer model? You think the riaa doesn't know how to put up an ftp server with some files on it so they can get your IP addy when you start to download? If that server's on a blocked IP range, then it'll be blocked too, so even in that situation it can have some good effect if we have that IP listed as malicious.
But it does make things more difficult for the mafiaa to get you, and that makes it worth it.

Now im not sure about emule so i won't comment on that, but when you use those blocklists on BitTorrent it is doing absolutely nothing to protect you, as the MAFIAA can still see your IP in the tracker.

If the mafia has 0wned the tracker and it's in the blocklist, then they can't see you because you'll have blocked them from connecting to your client, just like it would do if they were a peer. What was that you were saying about it doing absolutely nothing to protect you? :roll:
what what in the butt
tarp404

Postby Sacky » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:51 am

No, it can't be easily faked, because there is a system of trust involved. You think anybody can just come along and have a bunch of IP ranges inserted into the blocklist? Hell no.

Well, i wonder how hard it is to become a "trusted" member, and there is still no way to adequately prove the IP in question was a BT infringer

Besides, man, 95% of the stuff that's in the blocklist are IP ranges taken from publicly available data on the RIAA et al from IANA

Its not the RIAA blocklists i have a problem with, im all for the security side to bluetack, its the BT abuser, and the ISP blocks that i dont agree with, because a BT abuser can be to easily faked, and blocking an entire ISP isnt helping people who cant change ISP's, and its not just ISP's that throttle bandwidth, i know an ISP thats blocked and all they do is send you a letter after you've uploaded 30GB.

You think the riaa doesn't know how to put up an ftp server with some files on it so they can get your IP addy when you start to download?

Has this ever happened? The RIAA isn't really interested in that because it means they would have to provide you the music, which means they (the copyright holder) are giving you the copyrighted works. So thats why BitTorrent, and Fastrack are there popular target, because all they are required to do is just connect to the tracker or the peer, and not actually give anyone anything. The RIAA will always try to go after uploaders because they can sue them for distribution. Hence why Usenet, IRC, and FTP are safer.

If the mafia has 0wned the tracker and it's in the blocklist, then they can't see you because you'll have blocked them from connecting to your client, just like it would do if they were a peer

Im not talking about the MPAA owning the tracker, i mean all they need to do is connect to it and then look at the IP's on it, they would still see yours, but would be unable to connect to it. But it seems the IP is enough to prosecute people these days, hence why it doesn't do anything to protect you on the BT protocal
Sacky

Postby tarp404 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:20 pm

Naw dude. An IP isn't enough to prosecute, they have to have the actual file and see that file is their shit. And bluetack doesn't block entire ISPs, like I already said. They block the particular subnet that the IP originates from. That usually amounts to a block of addresses that's 255 IPs, not the million+ that most ISPs would probably have. As far as "has this ever happened,", don't try to tell me that just because something hasn't happened that it can't or won't happen. If you use the blocklists you're a little safer just in case. And just for your information, something like that has happened a couple years ago on some directconnect hubs where they were operating a server to try to catch 0-day release groups.

But anyway, I'm done talking about this. Believe whatever you want, it doesn't matter to me anymore.
what what in the butt
tarp404

Return to eMule / kad