Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Loki Torrents Nears Initial Goal

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby croaker-bc » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:33 pm

I dont understand why people are saying bad things about loki. I have uploaded a dozen movies there and my torrents have always been kept alive for a very long time. And I never had any problem downloading from it either.
I have donated 10$. It's not much but I contributed my part. I believe in the good fight. And even if loki loses the battle, it still means a lot to me because someone stands up and fights.

And to the people who are saying things like "it's stupid and useless to donate money" and "required sharing capactity is a joke" I say you are selfish bastards and I bet you are the download-and-run type whose dictionary doesn't include the word "sharing".
croaker-bc

Postby Nessmaster » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:37 pm

Coward or not, bad or good, right now Loki Torrent is doing something that no one has done before. Instead of fadding away like many others it is standing up to fight. As for how it falls (if it does) is a differnt story. I'm not a very big BT supporter, and I mainly stick to eMule. But in the end p2p can only benefit from Loki Torrent's stand against the MPAA.
Nessmaster

Postby cantbearsed » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:07 pm

screw lokitorrent for the time being, there are people dying in asia that need it infinitely more than lokitorrent.

anyway the site sucks but at least its standing up to the MPAA. it did more than all the other sites so dont bad mouth it too much
cantbearsed

Postby no_dammagE » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:27 pm

it doesn't matter if the site sucks or not. The important thing is: someone is fighting back. Why should a tracker containing no copyrighted material be sued? If Lokitorrent wins this battle, all of other trackers can live without fear of being sued :!:
Yet, yes I know about ppl in Asia, they require support. I donated to Asian ppl, too. But in the long view: should lokitorrent fail :!: every tracker will fail. That's not good, too. Donating 5 bucks a month is not much, but brings them one step further.
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby serpentor » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:28 pm

All these Loki bashers make me laugh. At least these guys had the balls to fight it out. Not just close up shop, tuck tail and run like the other pansies out there.. *cough* TORRENTBITS.ORG *cough*
serpentor

Hard To Believe

Postby LeeWare » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:11 pm

There are two things I have a hard time believing regarding all of the news regarding this story.

#1. I can't believe that people who won't go out and buy a DVD/CD/Movie ticket or the equipment to rip the stuff directly from their own TVs. Would send a penny to a company that doesn't have case when it comes to defending itself against the MPAA. For all of you that don't know any better. It's not the technology that's will be the central issue but rather, the fact that they were using it to facilitate copyright infringment. It the same as setting up a web site with links to copyrighted information.

#2. That these same people would give money to a bunch of people on the mere notion that it will be used for a legal defense. Why not just go to the EFF?

But hey, what do I know?
Lee Evans, President
LeeWare Development
http://www.leeware.com
LeeWare

Re: Hard To Believe

Postby Nessmaster » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:16 pm

LeeWare wrote:
But hey, what do I know?

Nothing :mrgreen:
Nessmaster

Postby LeeWare » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:18 pm

Nessmaster wrote:
LeeWare wrote:
But hey, what do I know?

Nothing :mrgreen:

I asked for that one didn't I :-)
Lee Evans, President
LeeWare Development
http://www.leeware.com
LeeWare

Postby oreoleo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:21 pm

chacho wrote:
johngalt wrote:lmfao - well, to me, any and all P2P apps and file sharing apps that have a required sharing capacity built into them are a joke.

TorrentBits made it work, and it was one of the best torrent sites around. :)

Torrentbits2 came out and I have an account, it's awasome, feels like home (original torrentbits).
besides the down time sometime, this is usaull to a new site with old not optimized code.
oreoleo

Postby wooder » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:28 pm

LeeWare wrote:Why not just go to the EFF?
Because the EFF, AFAIK, has never volunteered to defend a P2P lawsuit.

cantbearsed wrote:there are people dying in asia that need it infinitely more than lokitorrent.
Then the MPAA should give them some.

no_dammagE wrote:If Lokitorrent wins this battle, all of other trackers can live without fear of being sued
Somehow, I doubt that. With all of their lawyers, the MPAA would probably find a way to demonstrate that LokiTorrent's case was unique and did not apply to another defendant. Don't get me wrong--Loki's battle is still useful. But it's not the be-all and end-all of BT legality.
wooder

Postby takeda » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:34 pm

croaker-bc wrote:I dont understand why people are saying bad things about loki. I have uploaded a dozen movies there and my torrents have always been kept alive for a very long time. And I never had any problem downloading from it either.

Or maybe they benefit when MPAA is winning (it's not the first time somebody from the industry is posting here).

I see two people who're complaining, one of them posted few posts basically saying same thing over again (and he just registered here the same day he posted that response).
Last edited by takeda on Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tired of Internet Explorer? Try Opera
takeda

Postby red duck » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:39 pm

And to the people who are saying things like "it's stupid and useless to donate money" and "required sharing capactity is a joke" I say you are selfish bastards and I bet you are the download-and-run type whose dictionary doesn't include the word "sharing".

it would be nice if you would care enaugh to read carefuly the post in which is writen "required sharing capactity is a joke" you would see that he is a leecher, he uses newsgroups. in this way you wouldn't hae to flame him :idea:
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Postby takeda » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:43 pm

I readed it, I just cut wrong part from the post, my reply was directed to:
I dont understand why people are saying bad things about loki. I have uploaded a dozen movies there and my torrents have always been kept alive for a very long time. And I never had any problem downloading from it either.
Tired of Internet Explorer? Try Opera
takeda

Postby SlyckChuck » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:49 pm

I also notice 2 types of responses here. Some are happy that a site chooses to stand up to a greedy industry and others complaining that it is a waste of time and the money should be spent on more important things. It is too bad that some will not address what the subject is about and impose their own will or ideals upon others. No one has said this is more important than other causes.

The subject is about the feedback loki got when it asked the public for help and how fast the response was. Tom has done a good job putting this story together so try to comment on what the subject matter is and less about whether it is a waste of money or not. :idea:
SlyckChuck

Postby Asuran » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:57 pm

Personally I'm just interested in seeing how it goes. Even if they lose the show is worth of some donated pocket money. No one's saying anyone should donate half of their income and property. It just pisses me off that they can abuse the system to extort money. In my opinion if a suit is filed then it should go to court, no fucking settlements that let's them milk money out of 8000 people without single one going to court to even see if they have a case or not.
Asuran

Postby Drake » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:58 pm

LokiTorrents is a very good torrent site. I've found a lot of content there that was never listed on Suprnova in the past. Their trackers are not the greatest but I've never had a major problem downloading torrents from there.

LokiTorrent has also setup a couple other torrent sites recently so it looks like they might actually be serious about sticking around. As long as they do stick around I'm glad they're getting donations that will help them battle the MPAA in court.

A lot of people think it would be an open and shut case, with LokiTorrent losing but I'm not so sure. Hash links aren't illegal and the operators of LokiTorrent don't upload all of the torrents onto their site.

Since it's a very popular site they would need a few people working around the clock to monitor what torrents are being uploaded.
Drake

Postby The_Ancient » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:45 pm

This is not PC, so if your offened by non_PC posts I would stop reading now.......

plazzTT wrote:I'd never donate to this for many reasons.

a) - People in Asia need this money, ffs.

While this is True, Who are you give your Money to? Red Cross so the "admins" can get new Benz'z this time instead of BMW's?

Also if your Really care about people that need help, maybe you should take a look at where your Tax Dollars are going, Like to the Kings of "thrid world" oil cartels, or the UN who uses it to Put their "aid" workers in 5 star hotels that only care about 24hr room service.....

b) - I don't like LokiTorrent. One of my least favourite torrent sites. Their trackers are always down for me.

there are many things I "dont like" but that is not the point, they have the balls to make a stand, I did not like Kazza but I give them credit for taking a stand where many dont

I dont see the covernted Suprnova Making a Stand, It sounds like they are making their move to profit off exeem, but hey "its all good" right.....

c) - Will it really make a difference? It's for legal fees. No real improvements will be seen on the site. If it goes down, I won't miss it.

Make a Differance?????

Hmm making Sites like that legal is a BIG BIG differance how gives a crap is the site gets improved there really is a bigger picture

d) - When it reaches $30,000, so what? They say that that's the minimum needed. They need 2-3 times this amount for a full legal battle.

so they should what??? give up like everyone else?
e) - They need $30,000 EVERY MONTH. I'd like to see them raise this amount every single month. Most people will probably say "nah, screw this" when they see the counter reset to $0 in a few weeks. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Of course, I'd still love to see them win the legal battle.
:D

youd love to see them win but you will do nothing to help them win, hmmmm

Might as well send your letter of Support to the MPAA
Mike

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln
The_Ancient

Postby mp3guy » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:36 pm

carpefile wrote:I'm surprised it needed to be pointed out, the importance of donating to Loki's legal defense fund.

Do you see any other sites stepping up to the plate? :roll:

If they can successfully defend themselves in court against this suit, the mpaa is shutdown, on this front anyway.

It's amazing that p2p manages to survive with the attitude of leachers and "What's in it for me?" so prevalent. :x

I suppose the possibility does exist that Loki will take the money and run, but that's a chance I'm willing to take to possibly help defend a lifestyle I've grown to love and benefitted so much from. :!:

I could not agree more with this post.

I have never used the site nor do I hope that I ever will. But at the rate that sites continue to cave in and cruble in the past few days I sure hope I will have the option to go to this site if all the other sites I now visit cave in.

RIP Napster, scour, audio galaxy, Sharereactor, Shareconector, Suprnova, and now Buck/Share TV will my new home TWR be next? I sure hope not!! :evil: :cry:
mp3guy

Postby j_dogg » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:04 am

The way I see it, donating to Loki will give them the chnace to set a presedent whihc wil protect all torrent and hashlink sites in the States. If Loki wins we all win... who cares if the site suposedly sucks... they've got balls and with the money backing I'm confident that simply due to the basic way torrents and hashlinks work, they are doing nothing illegal and should therefore have a good chnace of winning.

EDIT: And whats with people bringing up the Asia tragedy? People in the world all over need money and help ore than those that get it 24/7. But the worlds doesn't work like that, and I don't think a thread on Slyck whihc is illustratiung a good move by lLoki is the place to start such a revolutionary campaign...
j_dogg

Postby SensibleSam » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:58 am

Unless LokiTorrent secures the aid of either a very rich benefactor or a very good pro bono lawyer soon, their funding will quickly dry up and they'll find themselves in extremely serious trouble - part the way through a protracted legal battle, without the means to see ot through to a benefivial conclusion.

They are sunk. It's a shit site anyway and I wouldn't send them a red cent.
SensibleSam

Postby The_Ginger_Scotsman » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:17 am

Good on them, that's what I say.

I've never used LokiTorrent or any of the other registration-only sites, but it's good to see them taking a stand.

I firmly believe that hash/torrent link sites are legal and I would like to congratulate them on their stance.
"There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman"

"And now we find, you've lost your mind; They want you still, perhaps they always will" (Honeycrack, King of Misery)
The_Ginger_Scotsman

Hmm ;)

Postby nomad_cz » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:10 am

First of all sorry for my English ;)

Personally I do not see why case Loki vs MPAA should change anything.

Let's consider http://piratebay.org/ for example. Due to their statements it seems that torrent trackers are perfectly legal in Sweden. Ok. Fair enough. MPAA will not be able to close them down. So what ? They will "simply" go after users instead.

I even believe it would help them to keep few sites running. They could easily monitor those last "popular" trackers and track down their users.

BitTorrent is without doubts the great piece of technology. But unfortunately it's features (fairness) - I mean sharing while downloading - makes
it illegal even in countries where fair policy applies (you can legally download audio/video for personal use).

From my point of view all those money raised for Loki Torrents are wasted because they should go to the projects where the real future lies - like GNUnet (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnunet/), FreeNet (http://freenetproject.org/), MUTE (http://mute-net.sourceforge.net/), Ants (http://antsp2p.sourceforge.net/) and so on.

Regards,

Michal
nomad_cz

Postby SensibleSam » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:23 am

It's probably all a scam anyway. Lowkee (or whatever his real name is) will never turn up at court. He'll just fuck off with all the $ those idiots have given him.
SensibleSam

Re: Hmm ;)

Postby Asuran » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:55 am

nomad_cz wrote:First of all sorry for my English ;)

Personally I do not see why case Loki vs MPAA should change anything.

Let's consider http://piratebay.org/ for example. Due to their statements it seems that torrent trackers are perfectly legal in Sweden. Ok. Fair enough. MPAA will not be able to close them down. So what ? They will "simply" go after users instead.

I even believe it would help them to keep few sites running. They could easily monitor those last "popular" trackers and track down their users.

BitTorrent is without doubts the great piece of technology. But unfortunately it's features (fairness) - I mean sharing while downloading - makes
it illegal even in countries where fair policy applies (you can legally download audio/video for personal use).

From my point of view all those money raised for Loki Torrents are wasted because they should go to the projects where the real future lies - like GNUnet (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnunet/), FreeNet (http://freenetproject.org/), MUTE (http://mute-net.sourceforge.net/), Ants (http://antsp2p.sourceforge.net/) and so on.

Regards,

Michal

Well you said it yourself, if there's only few torrent sites, it's easier to monitor the whole thing and track users.

Personally I'd be ready to hand out some pocket money just to see the industry lose, whether it's of real use or not.

And the way I see it, if you compare the chances Loki has to win the MPAA to FreeNet/ANTs/MUTE ever working, I'd say their vicotry is as sure as the sun rising tomorrow morning.

FreeNet has been under development for something like TEN YEARS give or take a few. And the current version of it doesn't work ANY BETTER than the one they put out ten years ago. If something is futile and hopeless, that is.
Asuran

Postby no_dammagE » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:20 am

The problem is: even running a legal tracker could make problems:

MPAA suspects that under mo_home_video_2005.torrent is distributed Tomb Raider 15 (as if it would be worth downloading :) ). Then they make the government make a raid onto the server. They find nothing except torrents.
But wait, there are the distributors, they could have something illegal. Well, since they have the order, they raid them because under this torrent something illegal is suspected.
That's why some companies also avoid using BitTorrent - not because of illegal things (they don't have any), but because it is bad for the image of this company and in general making a raid without any clues is a good idea.

In USA we also have a small problem: once a court said its results for a case, all similar cases will get the same result even without lawyers entering the court.

Do you remember madster (or what was its name - i don't remember, not napster!)
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

PreviousNext

Return to Slyck News