Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

London Firm Hatton & Berkeley Plans to Spearhead UK Pirates

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

London Firm Hatton & Berkeley Plans to Spearhead UK Pirates

Postby sunnyd » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:31 am

A news article published today and titled "UK Anti-Piracy Campaign" appears on the website of Hatton & Berkeley in London. The business services provider states they are proud to be “spearheading the UK’s largest anti-piracy campaign ever”, and that they will be working with Maverick Eye, a German based company that has proclaimed numerous times that they are a leader in protecting intellectual property on P2P sites such as BitTorrent.

Maverick Eye has made the news numerous times as a result of their collaboration with the likes of Dallas Buyers Club for those “pay up or else” letters to alleged infringers, otherwise known as copyright trolling. Maverick Eye as they self-describe, state they provide "world-class surveillance" of intellectual property. At the time of publishing this story, Maverick Eye’s website is currently offline.

Hatton and Berkeley state “We believe that talent, inspiration and risk in art should be rewarded, which is why Hatton and Berkeley stands alongside our colleagues in an international operation that has so far yielded drastic reductions in streaming, torrenting and illegal downloads across Europe."

Hat tip to our friends in the UK for alerting us to this, and for anyone in the UK finding themselves in receipt of an “alleged infringement” letter, you’ll see that many others have been through the same scenario already, which is being openly discussed and ongoing in several of our Slyck Forum Threads. There are several topics which are all related to previous similar lawsuits in the UK. We invite anyone being threatened with a "letter" to participate in the forum discussions.

We'll provide an update as more news on this is available.

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: London Firm Hatton & Berkeley Plans to Spearhead UK Pira

Postby sunnyd » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:15 pm

Maverick Eye UG has this new link explaining the venture...

http://www.maverickeye.de/hatton-berkel ... -campaign/

Their normal site link which also explains their services at the top of the page, is now back online...

http://www.maverickeye.de/
sunnyd

Postby anyoldusername » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:09 am

the title of this article is comically wrong without being funny

someone or something might spearhead an anti-piracy campaign but it seems unlikely to me that they're going to spearhead pirates

no editor on site?

2nd post in 7 years, exhausted
anyoldusername

Postby sunnyd » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:18 am

Edit: I removed my original response from earlier because I believe that most people understood the meaning behind the headline. And while I could have worded it differently, or changed the word and used another one, I didn't, instead I left a shortened version of Hatton & Berkeley's headline. It's not the first time on the Internet that someone objected or wanted to point out certain wording in a media headline, and I'm sure it won't be the last. :wink:

It's all good, it's been noted, and thanks for taking the time to stop by, anyoldusername.
sunnyd

Postby adrienmurray » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:57 pm

More than the wording used in here, everyone should worry. This is terrible news for copyright infringers. And I try to steer clear of all this because a close friend of mine got a "letter" a few months back and she was scared. Anyway, we all know what each company does; I can't imagine what they can come up with combined.
adrienmurray

Postby sunnyd » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:57 am

adrienmurray wrote:More than the wording used in here, everyone should worry. This is terrible news for copyright infringers.

I fully agree, the significance of what lies ahead for many people in the UK is far too important to be lessened by an opinion about a headline.

adrienmurray, hopefully by now you've pointed your friend to our forum discussions on this where there is a wealth of information to be found, and a great support team. The scare tactics used in the "pay up or else" schemes for alleged copyright infringers are indeed scary for anyone. Make sure she knows she's not alone!
sunnyd

Postby adrienmurray » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:04 am

She's not really into forums sunnyd. I just tell her things that I find online. Actually, aside from the typical scare tactics, the idea of going to prison was recently added to our worries. You know what I mean? But I do appreciate your reply. I'll tell her about this. Thank you.
adrienmurray

Return to Slyck News