Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Slyck's List of File-Sharing Programs

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby SlyckTom » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:32 am

We have been working on developing an all encompassing list of important software that the file-sharing community depends on. The list is broken down into distinct categories, which includes: P2P clients, News Readers, Codecs, Codec Utilities, IRC/FTP clients, adware/spyware removal and much more.

Unlike our old system of user guides, this system will allow full user interaction. With the involvement of the Slyck community, Slyck's insight into the resources of file sharing will be more comprehensive than ever before. Users will be able to rate software, submit change logs, download locations, comments and tips. The File Sharing Programs page will be fully integrated into our guides, allowing them to be continuously updated.

For example, when one chooses a network guide, the individual will be presented with the comments and ratings for all clients that connect to that community. This will ensure that the individual will select the best client for that network with the most relevant information.

And this is only the beginning - the first step really. Soon, users will be able to submit their own guides and guide sections making our guides to file-sharing the ultimate resource to file-sharing.

Check it out: http://www.slyck.com/programs.php
SlyckTom

Postby johngalt » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:47 am

Most excellent. And WTH are you doing up so early???

How about a link to the various tutorials from the main topic guides / program listings?

I am I.
johngalt

Postby chacho » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:53 am

excellent! i'm looking forward to contributing :D
chacho

Postby tm, » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:40 pm

Things are looking good.

If I rate an application and later want to revise it, or add or change a comment, can this be done? (What comes to mind is one particular P2P app that once had a loyal cult of followers, most of whom have since left in disgust.)

I'd also like to suggest including a short description - or even a symbol - for each application in the list. That way someone wanting to try out the BitTorrent 'network' could see at a glance all the many BitTorrent clients, for instance, instead of having to go into each and every P2P application page to see what it does. A multi-network client could list icons for each network it connects to.
tm,

Postby Malicious Intent » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:53 pm

You can already start contributing chacho. :D

Make your comments here:
http://www.slyck.com/programs.php

tm - as to your second point, I believe that the guides will link to the relevant programs. That way, users will go into the BitTorrent guide and there will be a list of BT clients.

This database is the backbone to the frontend, which we still have to look forward to.
Malicious Intent

Postby GeraldBazillion » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:18 pm

This is a truly awesome idea! I just have two suggestions.

1.) The part where it shows if the product has been given a review, it would be nice if there was a little ticker there that showed how many people have reviewed the product so far.

2.) I also, if I were to make a review system I would make it kind like this. Each product starts out at with a score of O and it can either go to positive 10 or negative 10.

If one person votes on a product and he votes negativly then the ticker can go down ONE point making it a -1, or if the person votes it positivly then it goes up +1

The reason why I say this is because I don't like it when ONE person gives a product a 1 out of 5 then the whole product is instantly scored as 1 out of 5 based off of ONE review.

I like the idea of products being reviewed off of multiple reviews this way it will give a more accrate detail as to if the product is REALLY GOOD or not. This way things like this won't happen and it also gives unpopular programs a chance not to get a horrible score (or a perfect score) based off of ONE review.
GeraldBazillion

Postby tsafa » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:17 pm

looks realy good. I would suggest listing the key features in each program.

swarming, high content, security, etc.
tsafa

Postby mpfenton » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:09 pm

You might want to fix these links:

Ogg Vorbis (codec) homepage goes to:
http://www.slyck.com/www.vorbis.com

3vix:
http://www.slyck.com/www.3ivx.com
mpfenton

Postby Ynhockey » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:38 pm

Nice database, but a few suggestions:

- The ability to sort by name/rating/network/version/whatever, and a better default sort (right now it seems random, I thought it was by rating and then by ABC, but in Codecs, KLite Codec Pack comes before DivX and they're both 5/5).

- Are comments moderated or something? What about ratings? That is, I submitted a rating and a comment and they didn't appear immediately. It might be a good idea to moderate comments, but I think ratings should be kept unmoderatable. Because for every app there are fanboys and haters, but they'll probably even eachother out.

- New apps shouldn't start with a 0/5 IMO, but something that says 'no rating'. This isn't very difficult to do (in PHP)... unless the admins have a reason for not doing it.
Ynhockey

Postby aloniv » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:59 am

could you add newspro to the newsreaders list?
http://www.netwu.com/newspro/
aloniv

Postby j_dogg » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:25 am

The dea is that you add it yourself aloniv. Go to the link and click the 'Update File-Sharing Programs Page' link.
This allows you to update cureent app's info and submit new app's. They are then approved by a Mod/Admin and placed in the nessacary catergorey with the needed extra information.
j_dogg

Postby aloniv » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:02 am

thanks for the info. just added newspro
aloniv

Postby harbinger1337 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:14 pm

never tried it...thought I'd give it a flyer...was sure it would suck...

Read my review...
harbinger1337

Postby Leiflvr » Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:59 am

A mod should make this sticky so it's easier to find. Excellent job btw, it's like a one stop shopping centre for the P2P community.
Leiflvr

Postby SlyckChuck » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:05 pm

Dali Take a look at this thread, many of your questions can be answered here. 8)
SlyckChuck

Postby Hostfat » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:18 am

Devs, look this!
http://hostfat.altervista.org/Appz_List.JPG
It is a suggestion ;)
Hostfat

Postby DaBlade » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:03 am

I agree. Ray, get your ass to work now! :P lol
Anyway, Hostfat, Forget about IE. It sucks almost as bad as Bush does at precidency.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby j_dogg » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:34 am

I don;t know, aren't those links used on other pages where the ones he proposes mocing them to aren't?

Maybe make the other ones clickable also, but leave the red links.

One thing I would like it a line int he Extra info page called Categeory. This could be a link back to the programs catergeory and is useful information.
j_dogg

Postby SlyckRay » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:09 am

i added navigation to the top pages of the category and program pages so that on those pages, you can always see the category you are in. Hope this helps and great idea, and thanx for the great idea for the little icons on the front page that link to the last page of the thread in the forums. Keep them coming...

Ray

Edit - Hostfat, good idea, will do...
SlyckRay

Re: Slyck's List of File-Sharing Programs

Postby proud_2_b_apirate » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:00 am

SlyckTom wrote:We have been working on developing an all encompassing list of important software that the file-sharing community depends on. The list is broken down into distinct categories, which includes: P2P clients, News Readers, Codecs, Codec Utilities, IRC/FTP clients, adware/spyware removal and much more.

Unlike our old system of user guides, this system will allow full user interaction. With the involvement of the Slyck community, Slyck's insight into the resources of file sharing will be more comprehensive than ever before. Users will be able to rate software, submit change logs, download locations, comments and tips. The File Sharing Programs page will be fully integrated into our guides, allowing them to be continuously updated.

For example, when one chooses a network guide, the individual will be presented with the comments and ratings for all clients that connect to that community. This will ensure that the individual will select the best client for that network with the most relevant information.

And this is only the beginning - the first step really. Soon, users will be able to submit their own guides and guide sections making our guides to file-sharing the ultimate resource to file-sharing.

Check it out: http://www.slyck.com/programs.php
i must say after reading thier crackpot site about pirating movies an dmusic files i found thier site on a movie i bought and followed it to the web addy they gave ? it now seems as though they are going to start attaching trogans and worms to the movie files that we all like too download and good ole arny more braun than brains is backing them in allowing them to infect peoples comps with these nastys one would now start too think who actually invents these bugs ? the people who write the antivirus software or the movie people eg mpaa well as i say us pirates have too look out 4 eachother as for arny he can suck my c**k :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :arrow: out the door with these pricks
proud_2_b_apirate

Postby puzzlepants » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:35 am

This is the same message you have posted in other threads. If you are trying to make an argument, at least explain your position and give valid support to it
puzzlepants

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:44 am

Might I suggest a BAN. (just a suggestion).

This is a p2p site, if you are just going to post BS, then stay away. :idea:

EDIT: Jesus F&cking Christ. 19 posts of the exact same thing (and counting). I am demanding a BAN. :lol:

Ok not demanding since this is not my site.
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:53 am

You are pathetic. Unless you use proxies they can ban your IP address. And even if you use proxies, I would volunteer to mod the forums for the likes of you and start banning left & right.

BTW, how much does **AA pay you?? :roll:
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:01 am

This is NOT my site. :roll:

You are worse than the AnTs spammers (possibly the ES5). I have nothing more to say to you besides, have a nice life.
Last edited by Unbiased_Opinion on Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby red duck » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:04 am

u_o is right there is no need to make so much EXCATLY SAME posts!

you are entitled to have your opinion, you may express it but not spam the hell out of this forums with your opinion
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Next

Return to Slyck News