Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

The Pirate Bay Back End “Hydra” to go Live on January 1, 2015

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

The Pirate Bay Back End “Hydra” to go Live on January 1, 2015

Postby sunnyd » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Torrent site isoHunt recently resurrected OldPirateBay.org as a means of providing a torrent search following the raid of The Pirate Bay on December 9th. While users were happy to see this at the time, it still didn't make up for the fact that The Pirate Bay was shut down and there had been no word on when or if it would return.

On the site the isoHunt team states, "As you probably know the beloved Pirate Bay website is gone for now. It’ll be missed. It’ll be remembered as the pilgrim of freedom and possibilities on the web. It’s a symbol of liberty for a generation of internet users.

In its honor we are making the oldpiratebay.org search. We, the isohunt.to team, copied the database of Pirate Bay in order to save it for generations of users. Nothing will be forgotten. Keep on believing, keep on sharing
."

They not only created a search, but have been encouraging anyone who wants to, to create their own copy of The Pirate Bay. Why would so many people want to do that? Because it’s all part of the plan for the return of The Pirate Bay, working in collaboration with isoHunt. Our sources tell us that "hydra" is a code name for the back end of The Pirate Bay, and that “hydra” plans to go live on January 1, 2015.

In Greek mythology, hydra is a serpent with many heads, hence the image that appears on the .se site right now. The structured plan by The Pirate Bay team is to have so many fronts (fake copies) of the Pirate Bay, that it would be nearly impossible for the authorities to get to the real Pirate Bay which will be hidden behind the servers and will be where the magnets, databases and users actually are. User access will be though the copies of TPB, to get to the real Pirate Bay.

Our sources provided us with a copy of the structured layout for the return of TPB, and also tell us that The Pirate Bay will not be returning on the “thepiratebay.se” domain, but plans to return on a new domain, possibly using .xyz. Tiamo, who owns thepiratebay.se domain, is currently in jail.

This is good news for the thousands of Pirate Bay users who have been wondering when their favorite torrent site would be back.

Stay tuned for more news as it becomes available.

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: The Pirate Bay Back End “Hydra” to go Live on January 1,

Postby Dazzle_2 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:03 am

Directing their efforts towards improving the project below will be a longer term and more worthwhile goal, its not necessary for vunerable domains to be used in this day of decentralised networking capability, whilst it might be helpful to have a quantity of trusted content signers using public keys to verify and validate contents of magnet links everything else is pretty much ready to go.

https://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-ano ... wn-141218/

I have already downloaded the files from Isohunt but I dont see this as a sensible long term way ahead, thats my 2 1/2 cents on this topic.

Merry xmas to you all :D
Dazzle_2

The Pirate Bay Back End “Hydra” to go Live on January 1, 201

Postby sunnyd » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:37 am

Here's their plan...

sunnyd

Postby tmc » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:08 am

This is what many high volume servers do.. there is no ONE machine that does all the server work.. it is distributed so that a flurry of traffic can't take down the site.. TPB was going to try doing this before, but it was simpler to keep it a central server since the code was so easy to "COPY"... building in redundancy seemed unnecessary, until now..

BTW, the problem with a multi-server distributed hub was that the latency and "SYNC" issues were too complex and frustrating for people to find stuff... one server had a torrent link, while others were not updated "yet"... I'm sure this has been mostly eliminated with the faster broadband in Euope and elswhere a TPB server might find a physical home.. I hope their "design" is as bullet proof as they can make it-- using encryption and host masking (techniqes which failed in previous attempts)..
tmc

Postby sunnyd » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:15 pm

TPB .se domain earlier was displaying just a cartoon of North Korean Dictator Kim Jong-un (with a magnet link to "The Interview", and the clock showing the days/time expired since the raid on December 9th. Now it shows the cartoon, the clock (which displays current time for whomever is viewing the site), the magnet link, an in-motion waving pirate flag, and the hashtag #CodeOpenBay.

sunnyd

Postby ejonesss » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:29 pm

the magnet link is still there i even cleared cache to be sure
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby sunnyd » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:32 pm

ejonesss wrote:the magnet link is still there

Yes, I said it was. The picture above is cropped. :wink:
sunnyd

Postby Dazzle_2 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:35 pm

I cant see the benefit of this plan tbh, it seems a short term fix and one thats designed to fail simply because we are seeing the swapping of a single target to a larger number, having more targets wont make them harder to shut down in fact as they are "amateur" targets they will likely fold even faster under the weight of legal threats.

We all want the bay back but this is not what I call a serious long term solution, using DHT searching methods within a decentralised framework will ensure there is no one to issue legal threats to and no domains to be hijacked or stolen by the authorities, this front end idea seems pointless to me as its simply shifting the liability to folks who may not really have a clue what the heck they are doing or worse are populated by "volunteers" whom turn out to be honeypots for the cartel, I emplore the folks behind this system to think again and look at creating either a darknet site to offer hashes from or a stand alone magnet searching tool that uses tor to get the data anonymously, either of these options are preferable to this game of musical chairs that will end badly for someone.
Dazzle_2

Postby bigboxes » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:49 pm

bigboxes

Postby wmitty » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:38 am

This is the most unlikely scenario of a comeback ive read this month

Any idea how hard it will be to keep that lot synced? Almost impossible

If pirate bay appears tomorrow with this new setup ill be stunned
wmitty

Postby sunnyd » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:55 am

The Pirate Bay first discussed the "hydra" concept many years ago, and more than just once.

We're all waiting and watching.
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:20 pm

As of today, the flip clock on the .se domain changed and is now showing a countdown until February 1, 2015. The clock previously had been displaying the daily countdown since the raid. The site at the time of this post was also displaying fireworks with a new message of "We are TPB."

We've seen some domain changes, and also plenty of OpenBay TPB sites online, but not much other activity. Our sources indicated that just the back end of the hydra was going live on January 1st, and while that may be true as the Pirate Bay team works behind the scenes, we'll have to see what lies ahead for February 1st, and whether the new clock display means that date is the goal set for all to be back online.

Today's display...

sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:11 am

The timer on TPB site is still counting days until February 1st. However, new on the site is a sailing ship at the bottom heading to the left of the screen, in what appears to be an island which is a graphic they had used in the past. What exactly this means, we don't know for sure, and we'll avoid speculation. Surely there will be more signs in the days to come of what the team is planning and/or moving toward. For now, the ship is sailing to "somewhere", or this is an indication that plans are in motion for "something".

sunnyd

Postby zbeast » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ

Guess who's up today... The Pirate bay.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby ejonesss » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:17 pm

zbeast wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ

Guess who's up today... The Pirate bay.

no thepiratebay is not back in fact it times out to a cloudflare site

sorry i did not place my comment in the right place i corrected it now so it will show properly
ejonesss

Postby ejonesss » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:06 pm

update:

looks lithe thepiratebay.se is working (no cloud flare pages) though a little slow so maybe cloudflare's anti ddos script kicked in
ejonesss

Postby sunnyd » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:43 pm

ejonesss, when zbeast did her post, the site was up showing the search box because I checked it on the 27th, and there was no CloudFare message at that time. You responded the next day to her post (almost 24 hours later), and the site was showing the CloudFare message which is indicated in this post on reddit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/thepiratebay/c ... ayse_down/

It's not just you! http://thepiratebay.se looks down from here. but there is still something cause this: This page (http://thepiratebay.se/) is currently offline. However, because the site uses CloudFlare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by CloudFlare

All reports so far indicate that TPB will not be making a full comeback due to turmoil amid staff/former staff members. The clock on the site is still counting down to February 1st, and it's best to avoid speculation or guesses until we see what happens then, and in the days that follow.

Here is what CloudFare is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CloudFlare

There have been absolutely no reports of any DDoS on TPB if that's what you were wondering, and their intention was to use CloudFare all along, so seeing that page was not a surprise if they are tweaking things behind the scenes.

At this point, the return of TPB and its future remain uncertain, and users should use extreme caution should the site return in whatever capacity on February 1st. With insufficient staff members, the site is likely to be riddled with malware, etc.
sunnyd

Postby ejonesss » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:27 pm

ignoring the syn ack replies are not the only ddos method.

other methods can include legit webpage requests from many people at the same time.

sorry i did not get the ip address of thepiratebay.se before it went down so i am unable to compare ip addresses to see if maybe they moved the site to another ip address.

the irc is still password protected

CloudFlare is an American-based company that provides a content delivery network and distributed domain name server system,

that may not be such a good idea because ice will take the domain name in a heartbeat.

i am thinking of starting up my own irc channel so the users can hang out until they open up the official channel.
ejonesss

Postby sunnyd » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:45 pm

ejonesss wrote:ignoring the syn ack replies are not the only ddos method.

other methods can include legit webpage requests from many people at the same time.

ejonesss, all you're doing is speculating and guessing on several things about TPB, which really helps nothing at all here. :wink:

The IP address remained the same.

It was made clear to you already in another thread that the irc channel is not accepting new members. Yes it remains the same, still password protected, and that is not likely to change any time soon.

Just wait and see what happens, and wait for factual confirmed news reports. :idea:
sunnyd

Postby ejonesss » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:53 pm

i am considering opening my own room for the refugees.
ejonesss

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:17 pm

ejonesss wrote:
CloudFlare is an American-based company that provides a content delivery network and distributed domain name server system,

that may not be such a good idea because ice will take the domain name in a heartbeat.

that's not how this particular scam works. the only domain name they could seize using this particular scam would be cloudflare's, not TPB's (assuming cloudflare is using .com or .net). and i sincerely doubt that will happen.

if ICE will take the domain name in a heartbeat, why haven't they already done so? several heartbeats have already come and gone :P
MrFredPFL

Postby tehdoomsayer » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:38 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:if ICE will take the domain name in a heartbeat, why haven't they already done so? several heartbeats have already come and gone :P

they've actually already taken the domain name, it just doesn't take effect here until the leap second. 8)

which scientifically it's 1 leap second = 1200 heartbeats i believe.
tehdoomsayer

Postby sunnyd » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:23 pm

tehdoomsayer wrote:It just doesn't take effect here until the leap second. 8)

which scientifically it's 1 leap second = 1200 heartbeats i believe.

:rofl:

That makes perfectly good sense! :tinfoilhat:
sunnyd

Postby ejonesss » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:55 am

i meant by heart beat is that immigrations and customs enforcement would order the taking down of the domain immediately.

i think tpb should have registered/hosted on foreign service.
ejonesss

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 am

ejonesss wrote:i meant by heart beat is that immigrations and customs enforcement would order the taking down of the domain immediately.

Explanation provided already:
MrFredPFL wrote:if ICE will take the domain name in a heartbeat, why haven't they already done so?

ejonesss wrote:i think tpb should have registered/hosted on foreign service.

They are.

TPB has been ongoing for many years, and I think it's safe to say they are well aware of what they are doing, and why. It's not like this is anything new. :wink:
sunnyd

Next

Return to Slyck News