Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Pirate Bay Co-Founder Peter Sunde Arrested in Sweden, Will Likely Serve Time for TPB Copyright Violations Ruling

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Pirate Bay Co-Founder Peter Sunde Arrested in Sweden, Will Likely Serve Time for TPB Copyright Violations Ruling

Postby sunnyd » Sat May 31, 2014 10:23 pm

It was eight years ago today, May 31, 2006, that The Pirate Bay was raided, and it was a day that many will never forget. Ironically, today May 31st, after being on the run for nearly two years, Peter Sunde who has been wanted by Interpol since 2012 after being sentenced in Sweden to prison and fined for breaching copyright laws connected to The Pirate Bay, was arrested.

In a report by Reuters, Sunde was arrested today in the southern Swedish county of Skane. "We have been looking for him since 2012," said Carolina Ekeus, spokeswoman at the Swedish National Police Board. "He was given eight months in jail so he has to serve his sentence." Sunde had been living in Berlin, Germany, but returned to Sweden at times due to having family there.

In February of 2012, the founders of The Pirate Bay, Peter Sunde, Fredrik Neij, Gottfrid Svartholm and Carl Lundström, were denied an appeal from a 2009 ruling by Sweden’s Supreme Court. The four men were originally sentenced to one year in prison and a fine of 32 million crowns ($4.8 million). An appeals court later reduced the prison sentences by varying amounts for each of the men, but raised the fine to 46 million Swedish crowns ($6.9 million). It’s likely that Sunde will begin his sentence of serving time very soon. He tried earlier this month to have his case reopened, but his request was denied by Sweden’s Supreme Court.

Two of the other founders, Svartholm and Lundström have already served time for their jail sentences, and Fredrik Neij has still been managing to elude officials all this time.

Meanwhile, despite blockades and rough waters, The Pirate Bay is still going strong eight years after the big raid took place.

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: Pirate Bay Co-Founder Peter Sunde Arrested in Sweden, Wi

Postby Dazzle_2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:34 pm

It might well be better for him to serve some time, get some off for good behaviour and then be able to trumpet against the Swedish govt out in the open in the long run.

After all as long as the court has made its ruling theres little point in being on the run for years on end and wasting a lot of lifes freedoms when its not even going to be a years incarceration, I myself would be happy to serve such a sentence if if meant I was able to walk freely in my home nation, lets just hope the courts dont add on extra time for this chaps disappearing act.

He might even get out a bit earlier if he turned a "hector" and snitched on how to damage the pirate bay :twisted:
Dazzle_2

Return to Slyck News