Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: Need Upload Banwidth? Get a Seedbox

Postby OSS » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:34 pm

Well, it's all related :)
OSS

Postby RealG187 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:14 pm

Are there any free ones, so you can get a computer as a host for torrents? Won't that make you get caught for torrent?
RealG187

Postby skulls » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:42 pm

Read this article a while back and while a dedicated server or VPS would be great for a seedbox, I (as a loner) didn't feel that spending so much on my own server would exactly be worth it.

Somehow, I stumbled upon peerharbor, I think through google ad's. Its basically a dude in Germany who (I believe) is just running a dedicated server (maybe more) on a 20mbit line. He's got multiple little packages, and the only limitation is how much you can store on the server. There are no bandwidth limits (supposedly, checking that out now) and you can get your files through an ftp or http interface.

I've only been signed up with them for a day, but have already downloaded/uploaded probably close to 2 gb in data. I can easily use private torrents, but my only concern is that since it's someone elses server I can't control what IP's i seed to now.

Overall not too bad of an option for a seed box considering its much cheaper than any VPS I could find, required absolutely no set up and I can pretty much do whatever.

Now if only my location wasn't the midwest US, downloads would be faster from the server :shock:
skulls

Postby vtwin0001 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:40 am

some of the hosts you're pointing at msg #1 do not accept on their terms of usage bit torrent

i'm looking for a good host, somehting like dreamhost or gatorhost, but outside the us.

i'm not looking into running the thing at 1000 mbps, i'm just looking for perhaps 50 mbps...

any of you guys have any suggestion?
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Postby ejonesss » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:55 am

are seedboxes a dedicated server running on at the isp level meaning do you have to buy or rent the hardware and run it from your home or is it like the trackers and web page where you rent server space from some hosting company?
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:26 am

again, you've apparently not read the article or the replies :roll:

otherwise, i find it impossible to believe you'd still need to ask that.
MrFredPFL

Postby vtwin0001 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:41 pm

So... any suggestions? or are you're just going to complain about someone not reading the article?

How about some ontopic answers?

ejoness: a seedbox is a server located anywhere (like google) that you can install a torrent app; just imagine using the bandwidth google has to download torrents... that's what this is about. You then control the torrent app via your web browser (just like you do with the email page)
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:59 pm

yes, my suggestion is that he read the article. that's ontopic. in fact, nothing is more ontopic than the story that started any particular thread.

this particular poster makes a habit of doing this. i am not going to waste my time answering a question he should have never needed to ask to begin with. it's one thing when a person makes an effort to learn. i will happily make an effort to help that person. this person repeatedly makes no effort to even read the original post, let alone any of the replies, and then asks people to repeat what one, or often several of them, have already said - because he couldn't be bothered to read it himself.

as for your request for suggestions: i am not familiar with hosting providers, so i have no suggestions to make on that. i hope you don't expect everyone who doesn't know the answer to your questions to post saying so ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby nubsauce » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:12 am

Im confused about seedboxes. How will the tracker know that the sb's ip is part of your account? How do even tell this remote pc to download etc? I know dick about linux but Im willing to learn i guez. :popcorn:
nubsauce

Postby vtwin0001 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:54 pm

When you download a torrent from a private tracker, the torrent file has (encoded) small info about your user.

This info is only individual and does not repeat from user to user

Then you upload that torrent file into the seedbox.

When the seedbox connects to the private tracker, it gives that information to the tracker, assigning you the megabytes you've downloaded and uploaded ;)
vtwin0001

Postby nubsauce » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:48 pm

say you only wanted to partially download a huge torrent. Is it easy to manage things like that remotely on a seedbox?
nubsauce

Postby vtwin0001 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:05 pm

Yes, you can select which files to receive and which ones not to download, much like a normal local torrent app; however this might vary from torrent app to torrent app.

I haven't used most of them, but utorrent (for example) has been installed in seedboxes and it actually works just like utorrent (nuff said)

torrentflux (which is by far the best app) I have no idea if it let's you choose which files, but I think it should.

torrentflux is the best due to the fact it uses very little ram on the server (thus giving you the opportunity to use this ram more wisely)
vtwin0001

Postby ejonesss » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 am

i know this is old news but does anyone know of any seedboxes that are ammune to the aa's and c&d notices and support public trackers?
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Previous

Return to Slyck News