Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Need Upload Banwidth? Get a Seedbox

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: Need Upload Banwidth? Get a Seedbox

Postby dakiller » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:14 pm

n00b wrote:Dunno why people are bringing usenet into it quality torrent sites get files well before usenet :roll:

Codswollop,I hear that so often, and it makes me laugh,just because you don't know how or where doesn't mean it isn't there.
Usenet as the binary sharing system that it has morphed into...predates torrent for serious filesharing by a wide margin.

scubascythan wrote:..and even if torrent sites are faster by 10 min, at least my download doesn't depend on the number of seeds/peers and their upload capabilities, nor do I have to worry about leaving my upload long enough to maintain a good enough ratio. Of course, you just could be one of the lucky SOB's who have good internet connection with nearly-symmetrical high speed broadband, but like 95%+ of broadband users, it's asymmetrical.

exactly...
Last edited by dakiller on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
man,i'm sick of following my dreams
i'm just gonna ask where they're headed and hook up with em later

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby n00b » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:15 pm

my usenet provider is giganews & I use a combo of newzbin & binsearch.

Why are private torrent sites faster than usenet these days? Scene > Seedbox, these are gigabit and 100mbit boxes as soon as a file pres in the scene its fxp'd to the seedbox on a gigabit port.

I use usenet but I am no fanboy, I know how stuff works & I know that the best torrent sites get scene releases before usenet and also will max my 24mbit line out (as does my giganews account too of course) due to the amount of seedboxes on gigabit & 100mbit ports in the best private bt sites these days.
n00b

Postby dakiller » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:21 pm

n00b,
I respectfully repeat,
just because you don't know how or where doesn't mean it isn't there.

using binnews or any other usenet search engine does not qualify as knowing how to use the technology.
Private FTP can beat both torrent and usenet too...so i really don't see your point

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby n00b » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:27 pm

dakiller wrote:n00b,
Private FTP can beat both torrent and usenet too...so i really don't see your point

That IS my point, the files are FXP'd directly from a private scene FTP as soon as they pre to gigabit seedboxes... nobody is uploading the files from the scene to usenet faster than 1000mbit but that is the speed they go from scene FTP > seedbox & get seeded to the swarm at, not to mention in these private bt sites there are loads of seedboxes (albeit most are on 100mbit ports)

Someone said about getting the files from usenet to seed on private bt sites, lanjackal asked how seedboxes work, how the files get on them & I explained. Why would someone go Scene > usenet > Torrent when you can go Scene > Torrent at 1gigabit as soon as the file is released... the usenet middleman is not needed & slows the whole thing down.
n00b

Postby dakiller » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:34 pm

Ok now I do see what you are saying

but i still agree with scubascythan as far as the spreading goes as opposed to seeding
Usnet is still a fast way to both find and spread files,couple that with one way,fullspeed traffic....it still beats torrents for my personal use, sharing and leeching

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby JolietJake » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:47 pm

sry, u, and ur. The end of the English language..... :roll:
You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand.
JolietJake

Postby LANjackal » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:58 am

who_me wrote:im sry.. but u talk like u know what ur talking about while 3 posts back u didnt even know how the files are moved to the boxes
lol
Actually, my article did say that I didn't have any firsthand experience, so I'm not pretending that I do. As such, I can only rely on what I learn from other users. What I learned at the time of writing is that the files are FTPed to the seedboxes. Since then, a bunch of other people have posted otherwise *shrugs*

But hey, check out lacademon. He looked like an expert until OSS hosed everything he said.

I'm just like a reporter on the scene. If the professed eyewitnesses (claimed actual seedbox users) decide to fill my ears with crap, what can I do? At least I let you (the public/BT users) know that something was going on *shrugs*

As I said, these are uncharted waters. You can either be constructive and help the community out, or jeer (very useful :roll:). Your call.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Maestro120 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:57 am

I think we can summarize this whole thread like this:

No access to scene ftp top sites ?
Then don't waste your time (and money) on seed boxes. Usenet is a far more efficient way of getting (and spreading) any files you want.
Maestro120

Postby LANjackal » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:35 am

Maestro120 wrote:No access to scene ftp top sites ?
Then don't waste your time (and money) on seed boxes. Usenet is a far more efficient way of getting (and spreading) any files you want.
What if you're someone who rips and releases his own stuff? Not everything out there is covered by the scene...
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby who_me » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:32 pm

LANjackal wrote:
Maestro120 wrote:No access to scene ftp top sites ?
What if you're someone who rips and releases his own stuff? Not everything out there is covered by the scene...

the volume of files released in that scenario is likely small... no pint in blowin 125 dollas a month for that. seedboxes are for mass volume data movement on a regular basis.
ADVERTISING SPACE
FOR SALE.
who_me

Postby runrunrun » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:52 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH

here's a nice tutorial for starts

a guide on setting up a leaseweb account would be nice...?

peace
runrunrun

Re: Need Upload Bandwidth? Get a Seedbox

Postby TheDudeRulez » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:31 pm

OSS,
too funny, your right on man, obviously that guy dont know shit about the scene or the mechanics of it. Thats right Who_Me, I regularly move 3-4 tb a month and have been know to go over my BW on occasion.

ROCK ON :headbang:
TheDudeRulez

Postby who_me » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:47 pm

why was this thread edited? with no explanation?

edit: i just browsed the rules.. nowhere is their ANY reference towards what my removed post contained as being unacceptable. furthermore.. the fact that 2 posts were removed without explanation or a reply from a mod saying that they had done it and why is pretty damn spineless.. dont ya think?
this is the 2nd or 3rd time ive seen/had this happen to me...
wtf? :roll:
ADVERTISING SPACE
FOR SALE.
who_me

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:53 pm

thanks for demonstrating exactly why you were banned before, and now are banned again. the posts were removed because you broke rule 10 (this time - you have broken rules here repeatedly). then, while i was looking for the warning dialog, so i could tell you why the post was removed, you chose to violate the rules again by grandstanding. you were banned before we changed forums. when we changed, we gave you and others a zero-tolerance amnesty. however, i was only going to warn you until you chose to be a jerk about it.
MrFredPFL

Postby bigboxes » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:12 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:thanks for demonstrating exactly why you were banned before, and now are banned again. the posts were removed because you broke rule 10 (this time - you have broken rules here repeatedly). then, while i was looking for the warning dialog, so i could tell you why the post was removed, you chose to violate the rules again by grandstanding. you were banned before we changed forums. when we changed, we gave you and others a zero-tolerance amnesty. however, i was only going to warn you until you chose to be a jerk about it.

Haha... gold! Some people don't realize we are all on the same team (or should be). We're all here to learn and some have more to learn than others, especially those that think they know everything. I appreciate the OP's attempt to bring forth a possible way to circumvent our ever-repressive ISPs. I'm on Time-Warner (used to be Comcast before the region swap) and it's almost impossible for me to maintain a good ratio (without stopping downloading). Seedboxing may not be feasable, but at least we should be able to talk about the alternatives without ridicule (noob talk) and the ever popular bashing of other ways of sharing data (usenet, bittorrent, private hosts, etc.). Many of us are for the free sharing of data. Many times it's not about content. Rather the ISPs just don't want to incur the cost of the bandwidth that file sharing demands.
bigboxes

Postby LANjackal » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:56 pm

bigboxes wrote:I'm on Time-Warner (used to be Comcast before the region swap) and it's almost impossible for me to maintain a good ratio (without stopping downloading).
Really? I miss my old TWC days when ratio maintenance was practically an afterthought. I'll be upgrading to a faster Cox connection soon though :).
LANjackal

Postby bigboxes » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:00 am

LANjackal wrote:
bigboxes wrote:I'm on Time-Warner (used to be Comcast before the region swap) and it's almost impossible for me to maintain a good ratio (without stopping downloading).
Really? I miss my old TWC days when ratio maintenance was practically an afterthought. I'll be upgrading to a faster Cox connection soon though :).

Well, to be fair there is more I can do, but I run so much crap just to keep me safe. I've port forwarded and some other things. I was really happy with Comcast. Was getting 9Mbps in speed tests. I believe that Time-Warner has capped me at 6Mbps (those bastards!). I recently got a new router and am still tweaking it (went from Linksys to D-Link). Someday I hope to get an enterprise level router to replace these crappy consumer models. Well, again, I appreciate your efforts to start discussion.

boxes
bigboxes

Postby lincolncity » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:06 am

what a hopelessly lame article.... :(
lincolncity

Postby martin.ca » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:11 am

I prefer using Usenet still. After all, everything major that's on BitTorrent is on Usenet as well.
martin.ca

Postby LANjackal » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:20 am

lincolncity wrote:what a hopelessly lame article.... :(
Suggestions?
LANjackal

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:45 pm

Interesting thread indeed! I love it when a Slyck article promotes such discussion - just wish I'd caught the ruckus with who_me. :popcorn:

I just love how this thread is filled will people whom think they know it all - yet all they can provide is criticism or "haha ur n00b" without any suggestions for improvement. Well done clowns :roll:
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby LANjackal » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:40 pm

PSA: I added a footnote to the original article acknowledging that there are other ways to go about sourcing and uploading files using a seedbox than the one mentioned within.
LANjackal

Postby chronoss2008 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:23 am

A) a seed box does not increase your local download speed
B) take what leaseweb is being forced to do by handing over names etc, youd be real screwed as logs a 4 terabytes a mnth transcations will get you large trouble.
C) rmeove logs if yah can hehe
D) just get a client that uses Xor encryption over top of the protocol encryption and uses key ids instead of your ips.
chronoss2008

Postby OSS » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:24 am

chronoss2008 wrote:A) a seed box does not increase your local download speed

Most people know that.

chronoss2008 wrote:B) take what leaseweb is being forced to do by handing over names etc, youd be real screwed as logs a 4 terabytes a mnth

They're being forced to hand over the names of BitTorrent site owners, not seed box owners. It is completely different.

chronoss2008 wrote:C) rmeove logs if yah can hehe

Somewhat of a good idea although wrong to force unnecessary fear upon people.

chronoss2008 wrote:D) just get a client that uses Xor encryption over top of the protocol encryption and uses key ids instead of your ips.

What do you mean by ids instead of ips? As in public keys and private keys on a system?
OSS

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:01 pm

search his posts, OSS. he has already posted an explanation twice elsewhere, iirc, i would prefer this thread is not hijacked by that discussion as well ;)

but if anyone wants to discuss seed boxes here, then by all means ;)
MrFredPFL

PreviousNext

Return to Slyck News