Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

Eight Ways to Revitalize P2P

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby notbob » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:19 am

Ratt wrote:
p2p isn't some high minded utopia of free society, it's about cheapskates like me getting shit for free.


I see no reason why it can't be both things at the same time. A medium that manages to represent different things to different groups of people is a medium that stands the test of time.


without good content, p2p has no appeal to the masses. all the academic nuances are meaningless to the 30 million people (or however many) that downloaded kazaa to get the new britney and toby keith (or whatever they wanted)garbage. all the rubes i know that used kazaa are deathly afraid to use it since the lawsuits. p2p is back in the hands of the few, not the masses.
i eat regularly
notbob
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:27 pm

Postby Drake » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:21 pm

notbob wrote: all the rubes i know that used kazaa are deathly afraid to use it since the lawsuits. p2p is back in the hands of the few, not the masses.


You're way off. There are currently over 4.7 million users on the ed2k network (no spy servers are included in these stats) and this stat doesn't count those who only connect to Kad. BitTorrent is becoming more and more popular.

A lot of these "rubes" haven't stopped using P2P. They've found better ways to share files. The only thing that has remained virtually underground is anonymous, next gen P2P networks. I2P, Freenet, Mute & Ants are still shunned by most file sharers. If there comes a time when ISP's decide to prevent users from using traditional P2P networks then even anonymous apps will attract the mainstream. P2P is here to stay.
User avatar
Drake
 
Posts: 2060
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:56 pm
Location: Meepos (where charging for MP3s is illegal!)

Postby Ratt » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:32 pm

notbob wrote:
Ratt wrote:
p2p isn't some high minded utopia of free society, it's about cheapskates like me getting shit for free.


I see no reason why it can't be both things at the same time. A medium that manages to represent different things to different groups of people is a medium that stands the test of time.


without good content, p2p has no appeal to the masses. all the academic nuances are meaningless to the 30 million people (or however many) that downloaded kazaa to get the new britney and toby keith (or whatever they wanted)garbage. all the rubes i know that used kazaa are deathly afraid to use it since the lawsuits. p2p is back in the hands of the few, not the masses.


That may be true, but as you say, the digital underground of the precious few is always going to be there, no matter what happens, whether P2P retains mass appeal or not. That's not exciting to me, nor interesting from a philosophical or social point of view. What is exciting is the more visible but at the same time highly amorphous layer above that, i.e. the world inhabited by the 2 million people who continue to use Fasttrack, as well as the far more numerous torrent downloaders, the average Edonkey user, etc.
User avatar
Ratt
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:50 pm

Postby senseispab » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:42 pm

I'm with notbob on this one.

It's all just 0s and 1s that give us some momentary aural/visual pleasure.

and p2p is great because in a life of limited financial resources you can't f*ck with FREE NINETY-NINE.

Beyond that, I'll save my rabble-rousing Che act for something that actually matters.
User avatar
senseispab
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:38 pm

Postby bluestate american » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:21 pm

I won't pretend that I read all 103 other replies, but I agree with what I thought notbob said.

better to be off the radar in a small like minded community than proselytizing to the masses. I don't need people to agree with me or do what I do to know its valuable.

is "don't ask, don't tell" the wrong analogy here? If the congress of the USA stops caring, I think we are all better off
"If anybody needs me, I'll be in the clock tower"

- Wooldoor Sockbat
User avatar
bluestate american
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:58 pm
Location: 1st quadrant of the US

Re: Eight Ways to Revitalize P2P

Postby notbob » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:11 pm

God damn my shit was so dead on
i eat regularly
notbob
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:27 pm

Re: Eight Ways to Revitalize P2P

Postby bigboxes » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:47 am

I'm an admin on another board and bittorrent has killed off our community. Yeah, it's not the only reason, but it used to be that everyone had to work hard to get movies, music and software. Now days anyone can get anything easily via bittorrent. Bandwidth is cheap.
bigboxes
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 9:48 am

Re: Eight Ways to Revitalize P2P

Postby myopia » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:40 am

notbob wrote:God damn my shit was so dead on


You so were on the money... on a lot of things.

P2P is no more... Bittorrent killed it. And there is nothing left. It is a mere shell of its former self.

And this website is no more.... along with a lot of the idealistic idiots that posted here.
myopia
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 10:13 am

Previous

Return to Slyck News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

© 2001-2008 Slyck.com