Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

Sharman Exterminating Kazaa Lite K++

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:24 am

Why not just populate another network? Shareaza and Ares are better applications than a hacked version of old Kazaa; and it's legal to host them on websites.
Guest
 

Re: what if more people act as supernodes?

Postby HouseCrowd » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:37 am

nasten8 wrote:Maybe I read this wrong, but, what if more people using k++ selected to be supernodes. I know that it would take a large number of people to really keep it afloat, and K++ has act as supernode turned off by default, but in theory it seems possible.


I agree. With more K-lite supernodes I don't see why it couldn't survive as a separate network :? ... albeit, one with a no-longer updated client



... anyway, heres's another couple of links to the latest K-Lite (2.4.3) for anyone who still wants it. These are still working at last check!

http://www.kl-kpp.net/
http://www.ousharing.com/


HouseCrowd 8)
User avatar
HouseCrowd
 
Posts: 33862
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:18 am
Location: UK

Postby Meehowski » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:44 am

Thank you for the info!!!!!

Be well....... :roll: :roll:
User avatar
Meehowski
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:35 pm
Location: Rochester, N.Y.

Sharman is Lying

Postby Guest66 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:02 am

It's a good thing that Slyck can get the scoop directly from the mouths at Sharman, but it would be foolish to assume that what Sharman is saying is 100% true. Just like a military general who speaks at a press conference and insists that the war is going well when in reality his troops are suffering huge losses, Sharman can not be expected to speak truthfully at a time when false propaganda would better serve its purposes in its battle against with K-Lite.

Sharman is now engaged in an all-out war with K-Lite and with their first Blitzkrieg attack they have already wiped out K-Lite download sites. We should not forget the old saying that "in war, truth is the first casualty"

Let's examine Sharman's statement:
"As time progresses, the Kazaa Lite K++ client will become so unusable that its populace will be driven off the network."


If this is really true, then why would Sharman go to such great lengths to seek out and close down all K-Lite download sites, as well as search engines that might direct a surfer to such a download site? Even Slyck was threatened with legal action for posting a K-Lite link. Why would Sharman want to further alienate the P2P community by taking such hostile actions against K-Lite sites if, as the claim, the K-Lite subnetwork was already destined for self-destruction on its own devices? Does Sharman really believe that all K-Lite users are too stupid to check the "supernode" box to preserve the K-Lite network, or is there more to the story than that?

Sharman hints that K-lite will suffer a fate similar to Morpheus when Sharman revised the Fasttrack protocol. When Morpheus users were kicked off FastTrack nearly 2 years ago, they claimed that Sharman was able to shut down Morpheus by remotely changing the Morpheus registry entries in every user's computer. Sharman then did not have to threaten any legal action against anyone (or any of the tactics it is now using against K-lite) to shut down Morpheus.

So, despite their claim, it really looks like Sharman believes that they will be unable to shut out K-lite from their FT network or prevent K-lite from becoming a separate competing network.

***note to Slyck: how about reprinting some of those old articles about how Kazaa was able to lock out Morpheus users?***
Guest66
 

Why bother?

Postby skymonkey » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:14 am

Thats a very good point, why go to the bother of closing all the mirrors of Kazaa Lite when they can just shut it off the network?
skymonkey
 

Re: Why bother?

Postby HouseCrowd » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:45 am

skymonkey wrote:Thats a very good point, why go to the bother of closing all the mirrors of Kazaa Lite when they can just shut it off the network?


I suspect they can't too … or that they believe their 'potential customers' will remain in a separate k-lite network if they do!

Why can't the K-Lite guys just move their stuff to a server in Russia, or somewhere that'll give them a greater degree of immunity?? :?:

.... To help keep Sharman on their toes, if the links I posted earlier die, here's some more... :wink:


Most of these are indexes of folders containing various stuff; the file you're looking for is of course 'klitekpp243e.exe'

http://technik.k.pl/progz/P2P/kazaa-lite/
http://xp-samba.linuxgod.net/Files/Tools/
http://www.juliannet.com/apps/
http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~arahman1/

HouseCrowd 8)
User avatar
HouseCrowd
 
Posts: 33862
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:18 am
Location: UK

k-lite here

Postby Guest12222 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:44 am

cough
[url]
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/answ ... 42,00.html[/url]

might be a outdated version. The entire kazaa lite network is gone (i can only get 2-3 kbps on popular files.) so it might not be any use to you.
Guest12222
 

Postby pg_method » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:58 am

Another solution could be to K++ a patching installer.

Kinda like a crack.. so it installs the extra tools and alters normal KaZaA so it essentially turns into K++ anyway.

The worst thing is, KaZaA paid-for-version is a rip-off of K++. Sharman stole the good ideas of the K++ team and are making money from it... who's the real criminal?!
pg_method
 

Postby slyckgirl » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:30 am

well i am a supernode and i am running kazaa k++ as of now.
and matter of fact i have come across some information on there ip address for authentication purposes.

Seems like they can not just shut out kazaa k++ so easily as they have claim.
booya
double -booya-
slyckgirl
 

www.kplsuplsu.tk

Postby klite4ever » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:18 am

on http://www.kplusplus.tk you are abel to download kazaalite without anyproblems!
klite4ever
 

Postby The Notorious » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:48 am

Like I've mentioned at the 'Kazaa lite Shut Down' forum, I'm totally speechless & heartbroken by the latest Kazaa Lite news.
User avatar
The Notorious
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:36 pm

Oh my

Postby LiteK » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:11 pm

The KLite code is very basic. There will be many young hackers offshore that will keep it going. After all, the hacking only consists of removing the spyware. Oh btw... this just in... the sun won't ever rise again.
LiteK
 

KazaaGold

Postby Chemer » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:12 pm

Does anybody know what Kazaa Gold is then??? Its one that you pay for. But are they also in breach of copyright??

Steve
Chemer
 

.

Postby LiteK » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:16 pm

Some say KGold is owned by Sharman. It's just the normal KLite, nothing more.
LiteK
 

Re: Sharman is Lying

Postby sir_blupsalot » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:12 pm

Guest66 wrote:It's a good thing that Slyck can get the scoop directly from the mouths at Sharman, but it would be foolish to assume that what Sharman is saying is 100% true. Just like a military general who speaks at a press conference and insists that the war is going well when in reality his troops are suffering huge losses, Sharman can not be expected to speak truthfully at a time when false propaganda would better serve its purposes in its battle against with K-Lite.

Sharman is now engaged in an all-out war with K-Lite and with their first Blitzkrieg attack they have already wiped out K-Lite download sites. We should not forget the old saying that "in war, truth is the first casualty"

Let's examine Sharman's statement:
"As time progresses, the Kazaa Lite K++ client will become so unusable that its populace will be driven off the network."


If this is really true, then why would Sharman go to such great lengths to seek out and close down all K-Lite download sites, as well as search engines that might direct a surfer to such a download site? Even Slyck was threatened with legal action for posting a K-Lite link. Why would Sharman want to further alienate the P2P community by taking such hostile actions against K-Lite sites if, as the claim, the K-Lite subnetwork was already destined for self-destruction on its own devices? Does Sharman really believe that all K-Lite users are too stupid to check the "supernode" box to preserve the K-Lite network, or is there more to the story than that?

Sharman hints that K-lite will suffer a fate similar to Morpheus when Sharman revised the Fasttrack protocol. When Morpheus users were kicked off FastTrack nearly 2 years ago, they claimed that Sharman was able to shut down Morpheus by remotely changing the Morpheus registry entries in every user's computer. Sharman then did not have to threaten any legal action against anyone (or any of the tactics it is now using against K-lite) to shut down Morpheus.

So, despite their claim, it really looks like Sharman believes that they will be unable to shut out K-lite from their FT network or prevent K-lite from becoming a separate competing network.

***note to Slyck: how about reprinting some of those old articles about how Kazaa was able to lock out Morpheus users?***


First of all, those qoutes you are giving weren't said by a Sharman representative, it's just an article by Slyck, there are no quotes in the article. I don't think Sharman publicly talked about booting older versions out of the network anywhere, but you can see it is being done by yourself.
Morpheus wasn't booted out by changing registry keys' values, that's nonsense. It was a rumor started by Morpheus to make them look better. "KaZaA BV" changed the supernode code, rendering older supernodes (or older versions of the software) incompatible. The more people who upgraded to Kazaa 1.5 or Grokster 1.5, then less 1.33 (which was the last version supplied to and by Morphues) supernodes where available. Since there were eventually very few 1.33 supernodes, old 1.33 clients (i.e. Morpheus) had no supernodes to connect to, and so Morpheus couldn't connect. This also meant that the Morpheus' supernodes list (which is stored in the registry) got smaller and smaller, and that's why it was said Kazaa changes the registry for Morpheus users. But this is not true, the Morpheus client itself changed the registry, as it did every day when the supernode list required updating.
Anyways, the same thing can be done (and as it seems it is being done) with Kazaa Lite. K-Lite is based on a very ooutdated KMD version - 2.0.2 (yes, even though Paul named it 2.4.3). Sharman could easily choose not to let old clients like these to connect to newer supernodes, and slowly (a few days), K-Lite will be unable to connect.
People were talking about independent Morpheus network using the old client at the time, too. The problem was, there were no means to force the Morpheus client to become a supernode (which allows older clients to connect), and also there was no way to tell Morpheus cleints which supernode to connect to - so even if there was a Morpheus supernode out there, Morpheus may never find it, or it may take a very long time for it to go through all the "new" supernodes that won't let it in, resulting in a very long connecting time.
Those two problems are solved in K-Lite (thanks to random nut). You can force the client to become a supernode, and you can type an IP address for the client to connect to in KaZupernodes (this could be done automatically if someone would make a simple program). However you can see there is no version configured for that, although it is VERY doable. Will someone do it? I don't know, but Shraman could then go and shut his website down too, and that's why they needed to take all K-Lite mirrors down - to put fear in those who might want to put an updated version that could indeed create a new isolated FT network.
However I repeat, IT IS possible to do this. You could use GWebCaches (or a similiar system) to store supernode information and load it in other clients, it is not very complicated. It might make FT very Gnutella-like though, but that remains to be seen. The two real questions are - do we really want to recreate this outdated network, and is there anyone "brave" enough to try.
sir_blupsalot
 

Postby sir_blupsalot » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:32 pm

And one more thing - even if you do create such a new isolated network, how would you let users know of it? The few users in Zeropaid and Slyck won't be enough, you have to get to all the K-Lite n00bs out there, and the "official" k-lite website can no longer mention it. Even if you do get to those newbies, they won't use it for long because the user count will be so low...
sir_blupsalot
 

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:07 pm

I don't think Sharman publicly talked about booting older versions out of the network anywhere, but you can see it is being done by yourself.


Sounds like a Sharman troll trying to get some sort of dammage control!
Guest
 

Postby sir_blupsalot » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:35 pm

Anonymous wrote:
I don't think Sharman publicly talked about booting older versions out of the network anywhere, but you can see it is being done by yourself.


Sounds like a Sharman troll trying to get some sort of dammage control!


Nah... I'm more of a Shareaza troll 8)

I know what I wrote was long so here's to sum it up - Sharman can destroy K-Lite, Sharman bad.
sir_blupsalot
 

Postby no_dammagE » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:17 pm

If you are looking for a client similar to k++, take ares.
Yes, its userbase is not big, but if all k++ music fans will move to ares, it will be big enough to make the same quality if not even a better one.
Ares is VERY similar to kazaa, has no third party software and updates very frequently. It is perfect for sharing music.

For bigger files (videos/games) you should forget KaZaA anyway - its protocol is a little outdated. Then you should change your protocol.
BitTorrent is a very gr8 protocol for fast transferring, eDonkey is a great data storage network and G2 is a middle thing between the both extremes. If you want, you can take for example Shareaza's latest beta to have instant access to all three of the networks. Once added a torrent and found a 100% complete shareaza source, you can get downloads from all three networks. If no complete Shareaza source wasn't found, you download from the one of the networks. But in most cases you get all three. No, im not a fanboy, I just used nearly every network/client beginning with the good old BBS times. The only exception I had were Newsgroups. :?
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
User avatar
no_dammagE
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:37 am

Postby _-juCo-_ » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:18 pm

K++ version is still working fine as of right now. Download speed is normal. Searching might be taking a little longer but it always seemed that way. Network connection in normal amount of time.
_-juCo-_
 

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Well, its true, hello Morpheus Gnutella2, goodbye FastTrack, i used to support FastTrack with kazaa lite but screw them, we'll all just wait for G2 Morpheus... anyway you can still download Kazaa Lite 2.4.3 here http://www.download.net/productdetails. ... 88df551d4c
Guest
 

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:35 pm

I'll take Shareaza's(G2/G1) thousands of sources and blazing speeds over Ares's punny results and slow speeds ANY DAY.
Guest
 

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:37 pm

come on...both Gnutella and G2 suck...they lack users and files...also useless compared to other networks
Guest
 

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:54 pm

I often get a 100K search horizon using Shareaza with G2 and G1 connected.

Ares offers a strict 10k search horizon.

No comparison.

Gladly, Ares is looking to perhaps increase the horizon to 20k.
Guest
 

Postby noomous » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:57 pm

Anonymous wrote:come on...both Gnutella and G2 suck...they lack users and files...also useless compared to other networks


You are clueless to what you are talking about.
noomous
 

PreviousNext

Return to Slyck News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

© 2001-2008 Slyck.com