Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Sharman Exterminating Kazaa Lite K++

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Sharman Exterminating Kazaa Lite K++

Postby SlyckTom » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:04 pm

Today, Kazaa Lite K++ fans <a href=http://www.peerguardian.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2311 target="_blank">discovered</a> that virtually every download mirror of this client has been eliminated, including links on its <a href=http://www.kazaalite.tk/ target="_blank">home</a> page. Sharman went to the ISP of every website that hosted Kazaa Lite K++ and ordered its removal via the DMCA. Any mention of Kazaa Lite K++ on the homepage has been ominously replaced with links to eMule, BitTorrent and SoulSeek.

A representative of Sharman Networks spoke to us on the condition of anonymity regarding their current campaign to vanquish Kazaa Lite K++.

Not only has Sharman Networks succeeded in eliminating nearly every major resource of Kazaa Lite K++, they are systematically forcing it off the network.

How you ask?

Recent upgrades to Kazaa clients (2.5 and higher) make them less tolerant with outdated or non official clients such as Kazaa Lite K++. Kazaa Lite is based on a version prior to 2.5, therefore a current supernode will not accept its shares. Although this will cause network headaches in terms of traffic, the client will not be able to participate or download off the main FastTrack network. This will effectively cluster and isolate all modified Kazaa clients from FastTrack.

Well, won't Kazaa Lite clients simply form their own sub-FastTrack network?

Sounds nice, but no. Unfortunately, the developers of Kazaa Lite helped Sharman out tremendously by disabling the supernode function. Very few users who run this client are acting as supernodes. A decentralized P2P network with all clients and no supernodes cannot exist. The effects of this extermination is already taking place, as search times and connection times are deteriorating compared to K+ (the legitimate spyware/adware free version of Kazaa.)

As time progresses, the Kazaa Lite K++ client will become so unusable that its populace will be driven off the network. This latest act from Sharman punctuates a long history of hypocrisy that involves the protection of their own intellectual property rights, yet blatantly ignoring the copyrights of others.

Perhaps RatFaced, a Kazaa Lite K++ forum mod said it best, “Ironic, that Kazaa is complaining about copyright issues, especially as K-Lite ++ stands for everything that Kazaa CLAIMS to stand for... but fails to deliver.”

<a href=http://www.dietk.com target="_blank">DietK</a> anyone?
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:34 pm

Isn't this a shame ?

Oh well, bye bye K-lite, welcome Shareaza, Morpheus and G2 :lol:

Postby MaGicDust » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:48 pm

Hopefully Fasttrack network will collapse sooner or later! I guess the number of users should drop at least by 20% with the elimination of Kazaa Lite. :twisted: One day, we shall say goodbye to Sharman for their evil deeds!
MaGicDust

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:53 pm

Man... This is for real, I really can't get a mirror that offers KaZaa Lite, only KaZaa Lite Codec Packs left, lol.

Postby Dahlquist » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:33 pm

Is Sharman Networks taking a page from the RIAA playbook????

Copyright infringement INDEED!!!!

I will personally be sharing klitekpp210b2e.exe for all who ply the fasttrack network (when I run it, that is).

Do we really want the Internet to become just another conduit for mass media? Or do we want to keep the Internet the first and only TRUELY democratic information dissemination medium.

Individual freedom of speech via television, radio, newsprint and the like have all been usurped by corporations looking to implant their image onto an unsuspecting public psyche. That all changed with the Internet. The Internet MUST AND WILL remain a public forum free from the influences of governments, corporations or any other entity that wishes to control or constrain it!! .

LISTEN UP GOVERNMENTS, RIAA, MPAA, SHARMAN NETWORKS, ET AL. THE INTERNET BELONGS TO THE PEOPLES OF THE WORLD!!!! YOU WILL NEVER, EVER TAKE IT AWAY FROM US!!!!

PERIOD!!!

Wanna try???

We dare ya...............
Remember: The RIAA (AND THE MPAA NOW TOO!!!) is just the LAP DOG of the major labels. Tell the labels you don't approve of their tactics and you won't be buying ANYTHING from them until they have their lap dog put down.
Dahlquist

Download Kazaa Lite K++ 2.4.3

Postby jimmyboy » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:49 pm

You can download the lastest kazaa lite k++ 2.4.3 on this site. http://www.home.earthlink.net/~kazaaliteinfo/index.html
jimmyboy

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:52 pm

I didn't have too much trouble finding places to download the latest version. But, what's the point if it is getting booted from the network. Maybe someone will keep it alive even if mirrors are hard to provide.

Postby da main man » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:05 pm

hahah i bet its still on kazaa!
da main man

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:17 pm

Face it guys, for all intent and purposes Kazaa-lite is Dead.

People may connect for a few days, but it's Dead.

Sharing it won't mean a thing. The velocity of the application will pummel to the ground and out of existence.

Re: Sharman Exterminating Kazaa Lite K++

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:37 pm

SlyckTom wrote:As time progresses, the Kazaa Lite K++ client will become so unusable that its populace will be driven off the network. This latest act from Sharman punctuates a long history of hypocracy that involves the protection of their own intellectual property rights, yet blatantly ignoring the copyrights of others.

Spelling mistake :D

Sharman

Postby Andy Nonymous » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:55 pm

The RIAA will eventually take care of Sharman/fastrack. After this I
might take pleasure in seeing this one go down! :lol:
Andy Nonymous

Postby SlyckTom » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:56 pm

I blame MS Word, didnt pick that one up ;)

thanks for the heads up!
SlyckTom

Postby hornblowerp » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:57 pm

If it helped you could download the software from the fasttrack network.
Its automatically put in the shared folders of people who already have k-lite.

But heres what I don't understand, if only the updated version doesnt support k-lite, then won't only the people that update be left with a small network? What percentage of users update on a regular basis unless they get a new machine or have to reinstall it for some reason? It can't be that many. And if they see that the network has drastically been reduced after an update, doesn't it make sense that a lot of them would go back to a previous version, or try a modified version such as kazaa lite? I know kazaa is made for the simplest of minds, hence the appeal, and maybe im just completely misunderstanding this, but I don't see the problem as being as immediate as most of you seem to think. Don't get me wrong, I know that it's inevidable that I'll have to swap my kazaa lite for diet k or something else eventually, but I think thats a good ways away.
hornblowerp

Postby hornblowerp » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:01 am

inevitable*
I was never much of a speller either...
hornblowerp

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:04 am

http://www.geocities.com/klrismypwd/

Also, Sharman Networks is itself violating a certain copyright. I'll get back to that as soon as I get more information from a certain developer...

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:07 am

There's no way out of this one.

Making people upgrade is easy really. I can think of several effective ways to have the mass upgrade. Kazaa will use the urgency technique on a nice and neat pop-up window. Whatever they put on that window, will have people quickly press that 'ok' button rather than the 'cancel' one. voila !.. Sharman/KMD will do the rest. :wink:

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:15 am

Anonymous wrote:There's no way out of this one.

Making people upgrade is easy really. I can think of several effective ways to have the mass upgrade. Kazaa will use the urgency technique on a nice and neat pop-up window. Whatever they put on that window, will have people quickly press that 'ok' button rather than the 'cancel' one. voila !.. Sharman/KMD will do the rest. :wink:

Nah, that's not possible kazaa lite.

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:20 am

Wait and see 8)

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:26 am

I'm random nut, and I should know it's not possibe. ;)

Re: Download Kazaa Lite K++ 2.4.3

Postby -ashton » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:42 am

jimmyboy wrote:You can download the lastest kazaa lite k++ 2.4.3 on this site. http://www.home.earthlink.net/~kazaaliteinfo/index.html

Whomever has this ISP account could take a serious personal hit, I know earthlink goes to the extreme with account holders doing this.
-ashton

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:57 am

Oh, well. No big deal. I 'll never see the ads thanks to my firewall and Pop-up filter and the hosts file trick. And I could live with out the bells and whistles that Kazaa Lite has. Who knows maybe regular Kazaa has some of them. Sooner or later someone will crack Kazaa. Apparenty no one bothered to do so yet because of the existance of Kazaa Lite and the people who make Kazaa lite never wanted to crack it or (couldn't) either. It just occured to me, I guess this means no more auto-search more huh? Its not gonna be so easy to live without that. I guess this is how they kicked off Morpheus from Fasttrack a couple years ago. What about Imesh? Do they have some sort of agreement with Kazaa to connect the Fasttrack network or are they next?

Postby Mr. Fier » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:22 am

Is Sharman in league with the RIAA?

This self-destructive behavior seems suspicious.
Mr. Fier

Postby Gæsten » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:45 am

Slyck wrote:This latest act from Sharman punctuates a long history of hypocrisy that involves the protection of their own intellectual property rights, yet blatantly ignoring the copyrights of others.

RatFaced wrote:Ironic, that Kazaa is complaining about copyright issues

Dahlquist wrote:Copyright infringement INDEED!!!!

I don't agree. What copyrights have Sharman blatantly ignored in the past? Am I missing something here?

It seems that people are quick to defend P2P networks if it supports their own interests, stating things like "the P2P operators are not to blame for how the users use their network" and "they're doing nothing illegal by creating such networks", yet are perfectly willing to do a 180 degree u-turn when a P2P network, which they consider not in their own best interest, tries to protect its own product through the use of copyright law.

Really, who's being hypocritical here?
Gæsten

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:57 am

Kazaa is completely useless for me without auto-search more. Sometimes it takes dozens of extra searches for me to find what I'm looking for.

Anyway, Overnet/eD2K has grown a lot and, thanks to Horde, is actually kind of zippy. Lately, I've found that there's nothing on FastTrack that I can't find on eDonkeyHybrid, DC hubs, or SoulSeek. FT is extremely inferior content-wise compared to the aformentioned networks as well as BitTorrent.

what if more people act as supernodes?

Postby nasten8 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:02 am

Maybe I read this wrong, but, what if more people using k++ selected to be supernodes. I know that it would take a large number of people to really keep it afloat, and K++ has act as supernode turned off by default, but in theory it seems possible.
nasten8

Next

Return to Slyck News