Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

WinMX PNP Network Mysteriously Ends Operations

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby JaKo30 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:45 pm

Well Winmx has been total garbage since 2003 sometime lol. Not a major loss, but a loss never theless

Anyways, a lot of you seem to be talking a different language with all the technical terms and stuff, but what I need to know, (in simpleman terms lol), wasn't Winmx a decentralized program? I always read that decentralized canNOT be 'shutdown'. Just 'why' or 'how' could it have been shutdown if its not centralized? Also, can all the other networks have the same fate, or does 'open source' prevent this kind of thing from happening to them? Thanks!
JaKo30

Postby Allied » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:45 pm

So when are we going to see a "Top WinMX alternatives" article?

Ares is my #1 pic for WinMX refuges. Ares needs a boost of confidence from the p2p world.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby codgod04 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:27 pm

well, R.I.P WinMX...

not to sound too off the topic, but congrats, Slyck! you have once again made an appearance on Slashdot for this article!

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/09/21/19 ... =95&tid=17
codgod04

Postby IceCube » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:05 am

I was talking to a few people on the likelyhood of something like this happening on e-Mule and the likely-hood works out to be nil. Sure it's possible for the homepgae to be taken down, but by default, fresh installs and updates are put in the shared directory, so all you have to do is perform a search for a more up to date client. As for servers, it's my understanding that different people host different servers that make ED2K alive and kickin'. So each one would have to be taken down one at a time, and even then, there is two alternatives - Source exchange and Kad. This is not even going into the fact that there is who knows how many mods there are out there. It will surly be exponentially more difficult in a literal sense to shut down the entire ED2K network. Just something to add to this thread :)
IceCube

Postby KiLO » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:17 am

I am deeply saddened by all of this and hope that we ourselves can bring this back up, and that the possibility that WinMX is down 'temporarliy' is true.

I, like many people, have invested much time into WinMX, both making friendships, learning and just enjoying ourselves. That is something that is hard to give up, and the people that say they don't care obviously did not experience the finer times in WinMX. And that is a shame.

As for me, I don't know what to do. The possibility of coding for other networks or clients isn't all that appealing. None satisfy me quite like WinMX did, and still does in the rooms that I'm still in.

Time will tell.
KiLO

Can anybody PLEASE help me???

Postby Dawg44709 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:36 am

Hello. I am what they call a "newbie" to your site. I am glad I did go searching about what happened to WinMX. But man, I did not enjoy the answer. I have used WinMX for about 2 years now. I had nothing to do as I became disabled by breaking my back. Fortunately I am not in a wheel chair.(And for the record, I only downloaded songs that are no longer available (Except on here), music videos and yes a few movies of ADULT stuff. NOW what do I do?) I am sure this has been discussed before but, does anyone know of any other free P2P things that can help somebody out? I am very sorry to see WinMX go, if it has. Hope it will be back. Some people suggested to me bit torrents but I have no clue what they are , where to get them or what it is.And they didn't have the time to explain, they said. Slyck, I think I seen in your initial post (or someone's as I did read the first page of articles)that you are like a brainiac. Not the word used but boy whoever did say that, I can sure use your help. Until I can find another free P2P thing I might as well not even own a pc as like I said, I am a disabled person that has too much time on his hands. And I gave up Yahoo chat because of too much bickering and now I really seriously do not know what to do. If anyone can help me, I would be indebted to you. I hope WinMX is not gone forever and that this is just a set back. I used to buy every single cd that came out ( well cassettes and albums mostly till I became 18.) and have well over 30,000, so that RIAA can not say I did not do my part.Yeah I know. I am an old 36 year old. Or if someone could help me with this bit torrents or whatever. ANY help at all. Oh!! I do not know what my time and stuff would be all I know is I live on East coast so EST don't know what the GMT is. I know I am rambling here and I apologize. Hope someone can help me. Thanks and here's to hoping WMX ain't gone for good. Don aka Dawg
" Be Good To Yourself.... NOBODY Else Will"
Dawg44709

Postby IceCube » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:42 am

Well, I can recommend the guides to the left of this site. I personally recommend eDonkey2000 and BitTorrent, but many also use Gnutella. Try reading through those guides so you have an idea. Afterwards, if you are interested in ED2K, I should be able to help, or otherwise post in the respective sections for network specific questions. Welcome to Slyck though.
IceCube

Postby N04h » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:47 am

looks like I need to switch to WINNY...
N04h

Alternatives to WinMX

Postby Xooph » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:00 am

One big fat reason that i've stuck with WinMX (in spite of its button-happy user interface) is that it doesn't bring my measly 1gig 384meg W2k box to it's knees.

Now i'm reduced to its OpenNap functionality and, of course, the absence of multi-point support that comes with it. (When, in hole, is OpenNap going to grow that limb, anyway?)

I've tried eMule and ED2k and some others in the past. And, whilst their UIs were not any worse (and in some ways better) than WinMX, they took my computer away from me! Bad bad bad!

Now, i realise that 1GHz is slow by today's standards, and 384MB of RAM is now sub-entry-level; but wtf does it need to do? It's not photorendering, or plotting celestial navigation vectors. It's filing. It is moving chunks of data, and keeping some lists. There should be no major number crunching involved. 1gig should be plenty! Is this just bloatitis (redundant as that term may be) or what?

Experience with the progression of Windowses, and seeing whole batches of apps come out that beat up users of older OSs in this way, but run fine on the same hardware under a later version, has led me to develop somewhat paranoid notions that something sinister is going on between the OSs and the runtime libraries. But i digress. And it won't stop it from happening, no matter the reason.

The core point of this rambling is that some of us simply can't run a lot of the new stuff. (And even if i can, i seriously dislike apps robbing CPU from other things i may be doing (encoding, etc) only to squander it.)

(Side note: I haven't tried TorrentSpy, yet. (it's waiting on my desktop.) OSS tends to be good to me, so, i'm optimistic.) :)
Xooph

Postby nigel123 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:40 am

It would seem they are all ending up on our network...with no files to share...looking for their chat channels.We will offer them some refuge...
nigel123

Re: Alternatives to WinMX

Postby Elly » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:15 am

Xooph wrote:cut

Now i'm reduced to its OpenNap functionality and, of course, the absence of multi-point support that comes with it. (When, in hole, is OpenNap going to grow that limb, anyway?)

cut

It's winmx limiting you to that on the opennaps but multisourced downloading is possible, you just need to find the right client for it. Try WinLop if it's that you need and like to stay on the opennaps.

Greetz,
Elly
Elly

Postby Anonymous » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:07 am

Xooph wrote:I've tried eMule and ED2k and some others in the past. And, whilst their UIs were not any worse (and in some ways better) than WinMX, they took my computer away from me! Bad bad bad!

Now, i realise that 1GHz is slow by today's standards, and 384MB of RAM is now sub-entry-level; but wtf does it need to do?

This is simply not true. I've been using Shareaza on a Pentium MMX 250 Mhz machine 2 years ago without problems. Of course CPU usage was usually up to 100% most of the times.

Both eMule and Metamachine's Overnet client (the one you refer to as ED2k) run finely in the system you have.

Keep in mind that the first time you share files in either of these you ~will~ experience heavy CPU usage due to their exhaustive hashing. This is done to protect those who receive data from you, to make sure they won't get fakes. Depending on the amount of data you share, this may take up from a few minutes to some hours. After that, they return to their normal cpu usage, practically ZERO.
Anonymous

Postby no_dammagE » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:32 am

> Now, i realise that 1GHz is slow by today's standards

That is just untrue! Everything depends on code. A good programmer never wants his application to require bells and whistles.

Remember Bull Goates say that we will never need more than 640K of RAM? He was true - and he is still relatively true, the amounts just raised. It just depends on the software code. There will be two things which will ultimatively eat 100% of your CPU: Vista with its bells and whistles you will never need (or maybe in the first 5 weeks) and heavy-duty applications as scientific ones and computer games.

eMule, eDonkey, BitTorrent never intended to require a lot of resources and they don't do. They all have only one heavy-duty operation: hashing. And the more files you have, the longer will be your first startup and the more data goes through your connection, the more data has to be hashed instantly.

I run a C400 - Ubuntu with bells and whistles turned on, XFCE, 3 XTerms, XMMS, XChat, Monodevelop, Konqueror. I should have built up a Gentoo for that machine, but it will take me too long time :). What do you think? With all those apps on and active typing right now - 30-40% usage.

Turned on Gtk-Gnutella. 45% usage.

So much regarding 100Ghz Tetracore with 20 Terabytes RAM are just too slow. The application uses too much resources? Tell the developer where and when, he will surely fix the problem.

But you won't come around hashing. It will always take 100% CPU because it requires more than one CPU cycle to hash the file.

If you ran 2-3 years ago with your 1ghz fine, you'll run today fine, too. You will run with it in additional 3-6 years fine with it, too - if you use proper applications.

I still didn't understand why you should need Chat, Media Player, a browser and several other things in ONE application. Do one job, but do it good. WinMX followed that and was good. For multimedia you already have your favorite app, for file browsing your operating system supplies a file manager and you already have a browser. That's why it was not resource-hungry. The only thing which wasn't really needed [in my eyes] was the Chat function. Filebrowsing could be done via IRC, too :)
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby suttsteve » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:47 pm

I'll miss WinMX. It was one of the first P2P programs that I used, many years ago. Hopefully, it'll be back, someday.
suttsteve

Winmx

Postby is this really necessary? » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:04 pm

ok so winmx is in a coma now big whoop, it will be back

see im one of those "morons" who dare to ask the Tech Gods for help....thats one thing about WINMX i will miss...you needed help, you got it no questions, or judging, so please to the guy who feels its an annoyance to "share" his knowledge, please let me know what p2p you use? i will avoid it like the plauge

in the meantime, if yall are done sniping that is, :roll:
who can recommed an excellent p2p site please?

he who thinks he knows it all ....is annoying :x
is this really necessary?

Re: Winmx

Postby Widdle » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:13 pm

is this really necessary? wrote:ok so winmx is in a coma now big whoop, it will be back

see im one of those "morons" who dare to ask the Tech Gods for help....thats one thing about WINMX i will miss...you needed help, you got it no questions, or judging, so please to the guy who feels its an annoyance to "share" his knowledge, please let me know what p2p you use? i will avoid it like the plauge

in the meantime, if yall are done sniping that is, :roll:

he who thinks he knows it all ....is annoying :x

Go to http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/ and watch for updates. They are working on a solution and coordinating things so that if there isn't a solution, we can agree (as many ppl as possible of course) to move to a new network together so we can keep the community robust.
Widdle

Re: Winmx

Postby raar » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:15 pm

is this really necessary? wrote:in the meantime, if yall are done sniping that is, :roll:

What's wrong with the one you're posting on????
It has everything that has to do with p2p. Just take a look around! :roll:
raar

winmx

Postby chefchuck61 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:23 pm

bearshare works ok(ill be testing more tonight) :roll:
chefchuck61

Postby Dazzle » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:27 pm

I havent bothered to read most of the posts here as I along with many others have been busy.

While all the usual suspect tout their latest (and allegedly greatest) P2P offerings something on the WinMX network has suprised me.

Folks are not leaving...

I run a help site as some of you may know but even my well thought out advice to try to ease folks gently on to other networks has only met with limited success, the reason it seems is the confidence of the users in the community of a handful of technical folks that are even now toiling to patch winmx, impossible as that may seem.

Even the fact that no files are crossing hands has been lost in the peoples wish to be in the chat rooms.
I have to confess I also host one of those and they are working fine still if you directly input the room names and IP in the usual format.

I dont know how long this will last but memebership of the rooms and forums is suprassing even my estimation, it seems a giant that was slumbering has awoken and now is waiting to pay back the good friends at the RIAA.

The future of a truly decentralised network may only be a few days away, for as many know it was the users that made the network, not the peer caches that just acted as a connection point.

Good luck to Kevin wherever you are, there are no hard feelings towards you.
Dazzle

Postby Al » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:36 pm

jako30: Winmx was decentralized, in the sense that most of the functions that were carried out by centralized napster servers(searching, indexing, etc) in the early days were carried out by user supernodes. The problem is that when you first connect up to the network you still have to have a way to discover other users that you can connect to. Frontcode had peer cache servers that held this information, so the network was vulnerable to having these cache servers shut down. If people can't discover other users to connect to when they first start the application then the network will die as present supernodes disconnect and no one can reconnect.

"Also, can all the other networks have the same fate"

All networks have vulnerabilities, but all the available networks aren't vulnerable in exactly the same way so they aren't all going to fall over the grokster case(which is the foundation for the cease and desist orders that the industry sent to frontcode).

Open source doesn't somehow protect a network. Having the source code available would, in the case of winmx, allow other coders to alter the winmx application to get around the problem of the shutdown of the frontcode peer caches. Since frontcode is under legal threat and since the code base is closed and proprietary, their shutdown effectively kills the network.

Dawg44709:
here is a bittorrent faq

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/1.html

Perhaps the simplest thing is to use winmx with opennap servers.
You can get a servers.wsx file to download here:

http://www.gotnap.com/index.php?loc=client

then you can import that wsx file server list using this guide:

http://www.slyck.com/winmx.php?page=3
Al

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:13 pm

Xooph wrote:Now i'm reduced to its OpenNap functionality and, of course, the absence of multi-point support that comes with it. (When, in hole, is OpenNap going to grow that limb, anyway?)

to elaborate on what elly said: it's not opennap that needs to grow a limb. opennap protocol supports multi-source downloading, and http://lopster.sf.net and http://winlop.sf.net both demonstrate this ;)

it's just that MX, for whatever reason, never chose to implement it in the opennap side of their client.
MrFredPFL

Postby nigel123 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:52 pm

...and the last build of Tim, intradream, I can't remember the name but the build was 2.0.5 I believe.It worked a dream on SlavaNap, with extraordinary speeds...Huize might still have it..somewhere
.. to be honest I prefer one to one downloads, it's safer.
With so many users having broadband, it makes multi-sourcing not a big point.( but of course it can and will go faster as time goes by.)
nigel123

Postby Assyrian » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:32 am

away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby pdavit » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:22 am

Is this now the official or "official" place for WinMX?

http://www.mp3musicwebsite.com/winmx/winukgg/index.htm
pdavit

Postby jonne » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:32 am

no, that's a scam site.
<freebase> for people that like magnet and ed2k links...
jonne

PreviousNext

Return to Slyck News