Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

WinMX PNP Network Mysteriously Ends Operations

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby napho » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:36 am

You can still use the opennaps and maybe they'll find a safer haven for the network sometime.

http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/sho ... hp?t=21985
User avatar
napho
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:31 am
Location: The Great White North

Postby Wolfie » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:15 pm

Yes I started life on WinMX too and though I didn't use it much this last 2 years it had unique communities who would selflessly share and share.

Opennap were hard to get onto before, I expect now they will be overloaded beyond measure. I guess hosting a server is similar to DC+? Will look into it.
User avatar
Wolfie
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:20 am

Re: Time to move!

Postby Fashizzel » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:27 pm

panos wrote:2) Install eMule, Shareaza, Gnucleus, Ares, eDonkey, Limewire.


They will all soon be shut down too. This is just the tip of the iceburge fellas. The days of piracy will soon be over. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Fashizzel
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:07 am

Re: Time to move!

Postby altpdend » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:36 pm

Fashizzel wrote:
panos wrote:2) Install eMule, Shareaza, Gnucleus, Ares, eDonkey, Limewire.


They will all soon be shut down too. This is just the tip of the iceburge fellas. The days of piracy will soon be over. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:


you sound as smart as the riaa. If winmx is gone for good why not just shut it down it's been dead for a long time anyway. Why keep yourself open for legal risk for nothing

ps. the sky is falling the sky is falling
altpdend
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:35 pm

Postby Muintir na h'Eireann » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:41 pm

For a while now things have been a little... "strange" with winmx and frontcode, a while back frontcode seemed to completely vanish and winmx simply became run by winmx technologies. I was one of a small group of people who were worried by this, as it showed something was definitely up, however after a while nothing had happened i just put my concerns to one side and carried on.

Now it seems that everyone's worst fear has happened, People are coming up with all kinds of ideas of "we should do this, it will save winmx" types of ideas, but they wont work, there is only one thing that will be able to save winmx, and it is not within the power of anybody on any forum, any third party programmer, or any well wishers. The only way to save winmx now is to restore the network, this can only be done by whoever controls the domain name winmx.com and that is whoever owns winmx...

the question of who owns winmx is shrouded in mystery, nobody really knows, personally i think that "they" took over a long time ago, but i could be wrong there... all we can be sure of is that whoever owns winmx has made a conscious decision to shut down the network (this is not any form of attack, the servers have been systematically disabled but are still online and operational just without the relevant software running and configured properly)

to those of you clinging on to slithers of hope, dont bother with the "how could you think winmx is dead? we could save it" type comments, even if something is sorted out to set up a separate network based on winmx, it wont be winmx, and it wont have the winmx users, it will simply be another network born out of a disaster

now all that is out of the way... there is just one more thing i have to say on the subject, goodbye winmx, you have brought many people much happiness and i personally owe a lot to winmx, but all good things must come to an end, goodbye...

King Macro,
Signing off... until next time...


From KM's site.
Muintir na h'Eireann
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 1:52 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby nJectid » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:52 pm

Personally I've had a ton of traffic come and go from my computers over the course of several years. I have recommended the sofware to many and feel it was a strong community up until current events. If these are WinMX's last breaths then I will be sad to see it go this way. Death by the **AA is not a pleasent way to go and wish there were different reasons for these events.

Viva WinMX!!!


On a different note, I just realized that I have been a member for a little over a year now. Been reading for about three. Slyck kicks arse!!!
User avatar
nJectid
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:04 am
Location: your mom's house

Postby DepecheNode » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:02 pm

G'bye, and see ya soon, WinMX Peer Network...

OTOH, the OpenNap list I generated this morning works just fine. So what, I can't multi-point swarm download... big deal... WinMX still works.

To the point about Vanuatu, It's okay for now, however, that's like banking in the carribean. Sure it's private, but so is Switzerland's banking secrecy laws. Vanuatu AFAIK is not a UN nation, and has no armies. Piss off the RIAA and there's really nothing stopping them from hiring their own private militia to overtake the island and claim it.

LOL!.... :shock: :lol: :shock: :?: :!: :evil: :wink:
User avatar
DepecheNode
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:38 am
Location: On Your Ignore List

Couple of things I feel sorry for.....

Postby HalOfBorg » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:10 pm

1) All those 'incompletes' that I have sitting there, that may never be whole.

2) all those thousands (1600+) chatrooms. I know hw those people depend on them - they MUST be shattered.
User avatar
HalOfBorg
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:04 pm

Re: Time to move!

Postby Anonymous » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:10 pm

Meerkat wrote:Slyck.com and other p2p sites have long lost interest in WinMX


I think it is exactly the opposite to what you write.

1) Take a look at your left column: Slyck Guides. What do you see there? Winmx, next to giants like eDonkey2000.

2) Take a look at the first posting in the WinMX forum: "Anyone who writes anything to the effect that WinMX 4.0 development has been canceled will be banned from the site, and their post eliminated..." guess who writes that?

My opinion is that Slyck.com does not provide a clear picture of the real p2p situation because it is stuck on legacy networks like Winmx.

Winmx is dead, not because Slyck wasn't good enough to it. Winmx is dead because it didn't have a viable business model and because it wasn't open source.

I can't resist the tempation to post here a comment by the ``eMule bot,, from alt.music.mp3.winmx:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.musi ... 37d?hl=en&

Hi fans - yes; it's me yet once again, bringing even MORE light
to the darkness that fills the lives of WinMX and Kazaa users.
Poor people! Unfortunate people!

No doubt many of you followed my recent suggestions to abandon
the leeched-out, fake-filled crap you USED to use, and give the
wonderful 'eMule' a try. Good on yer! Bet your hard-drives never
saw such quality downloads, you lucky bastards!

Anyway, time marches on, and it's time to start recommending
something new. I'm sure you've all heard of 'BitTorrent', though
being WinMX / Kazaa users, it's obviously rather complicated,
and you're scared. Not to worry! Help is at hand!

[...]

So there you have it! Do yourselves a favour. WinMX and Kazaa
are yesterday's news, and with every day that goes by its
networks lose users (sometimes to PRISON!), and gain fakes,
virii, and leeches.

Don't be a loser. Uninstall WinMX and Kazaa NOW, and join the
Big League, you pansies!
Anonymous
 

Re: Time to move!

Postby Anonymous » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:17 pm

Fashizzel wrote:
panos wrote:2) Install eMule, Shareaza, Gnucleus, Ares, eDonkey, Limewire.


They will all soon be shut down too. This is just the tip of the iceburge fellas. The days of piracy will soon be over. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:


Fashizel, I have responded to one of your messages a few days ago. I can't sport my intelligence hard enough to do it again in such a narrow interval so I reserve the right (and the pleasure) to do it in a month or so.
Anonymous
 

Alternatives for WinMX fans?

Postby Startmeup » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:25 pm

Hey SlyckTom -
Thanks for the news. Like the other users who've posted here, I liked WinMX's interface, selection (usually!) and the generally pleasant tone of the community.
Can you write a followup suggesting alternatives that might be a good fit for us?
When I've looked into the torrent flavors, they seem almost as tedious and time consuming as usenet binaries. The idea of spending days converting my collection just to get started in a high-maintenance project isn't real appealing - or did I misread everything?
HELP!
Startmeup
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:32 pm

Re: Time to move!

Postby Wolfie » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:31 pm

panos wrote:I can't resist the tempation to post here a comment by the ``eMule bot,, from alt.music.mp3.winmx:



Whatever will become of "Hammerer" that's what I want to know :twisted: :P
User avatar
Wolfie
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:20 am

Re: Time to move!

Postby AlexanderHanff » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:37 pm

Fashizzel wrote:
panos wrote:2) Install eMule, Shareaza, Gnucleus, Ares, eDonkey, Limewire.


They will all soon be shut down too. This is just the tip of the iceburge fellas. The days of piracy will soon be over. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:


And here I was thinking yesterday was International Pirate Speak day? Seems Piracy is still very much alive.

However, we all know file sharers are not pirates, they are just people being people and doing what people have done since the beginning; sharing.

Where do you think the human race would be if the first "caveman" to discover fire had refused to share it? "uG you can't have this, it's mine, I don't care if you freeze to death or get ripped apart by wolves, if you won't pay me a license to use fire, then I don't care if you die."

Or what about the written word, how far do you think we would have evolved and developed if people refused to teach others how to read and write? These things don't just appear out of no where, someone develops them, the written word was someone's idea/work/intellectual property.

What about the musicians of today, the very people the RIAA try and tell us they are protecting? How many of those would be musicians if the knowledge of musical composition, tone and pitch, reading of musical scores and instrument skills had not been taught to them because that knowledge belonged to someone else?

Should I pay a levee to microsoft or other software companies, because my job only exists because their software exists?

Sharing, is not evil, it does not rape profits and people who share are not thieves. They are people, engaging in the natural behaviour of our species. The human race is fundamentally NOT selfish, if it were we would still be living in caves or grass huts (and this is not to say that tribes that still do are selfish), we are what we are because of our ability to communicate and formulate ideas, these are the very foundations of culture and society.

Of course humans have been around a lot longer than lawyers and companies, so I suppose we have the advantage of being smarter and more developed as a race than we do as an individual, but even so, that does not excuse the behaviour of the likes of MPAA/RIAA. They are criminals in my eyes, and they are the worst type of criminals at that. They bend the will of the institution in order to inflict misery on the people and they get away with it. They should all be arrested as should their lawyers.
User avatar
AlexanderHanff
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:03 am
Location: UK

Postby eclectica » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:03 pm

A few pieces of info for you. WinMX version 3.31 was released October 19, 2002. Then in June 2004 someone registered the domain openmx.org and announced to the filesharing community that he wanted to work on an open source version of WinMX. Kevin Hearn, the developer, felt threatened and a day later announced that he was working on beta versions of WinMX. But what followed wasn't much of a change, and the program remained mostly undeveloped and abandoned.

The company was not necessarily located in Canada. That was only the location of the whois contact information. Frontcode.com and winmx.com used similar whois information until 2005-01-15, when the whois information for winmx.com changed to its exotic and enigmatic island location. ;)

As a matter of fact frontcode.com and winmx.com were working on servers hosted by Everyones Internet in Houston Texas, so the vulnerability to American law was still there.

If you ping frontcode.com and winmx.com you get nothing. If you type in with your browser window those addresses, you will get their contrived 404 error for frontcode.com, and for winmx.com you get no site found. But in fact both sites are working fine, and they have only altered the content of their sites to appear that they are offline. You can visit frontcode.com directly or through the IP address:
http://64.246.15.43/. And you can still visit winmx.com at its old IP address, though the domain name doesn't resolve to there anymore:
http://66.98.186.39/.

WinMX was my first p2p application that I used after Napster was shut down. I stopped using it in 2004 because I found better ones to replace it, and it degraded in quality. It had a loyal backing and many of its fanboys would answer the critics who complained about the lack of updates of the program, by saying that they could go somewhere else if they didn't like it and their kind was not welcome on WinMX. Those fanboys can now eat their own words, as I tell them that it would be best for them to skip the next paragraph because it may offend them.

I hope that WinMX is dead and doesn't come back because it led a miserable existence in the end, with abandonment by its developer who due to his own vanity, refused to release the source code. There are plenty of better applications out there, and it doesn't meet the rising standards of filesharing with more applications becoming open source. Though of course WinMX is still better than KaZaA. The death of WinMX is a welcome act of mercy to preserve the dignity of the p2p application.

If Slyck does an interview with Kevin Hearn, they ought to ask him what p2p application he has been using for the last 2 years.

Now some WinMX users will flock to the OpenNap and SlavaNap servers, of which some are listed at GotNap, and others that can be found by .wsx files that WinMX users trade. Will this new traffic and interest be a blessing or a curse for those server operators?
© copylefted
eclectica
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 10:50 pm
Location: p2p qaeda

Re: Time to move!

Postby Fashizzel » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:38 pm

panos wrote:
Fashizzel wrote:
panos wrote:2) Install eMule, Shareaza, Gnucleus, Ares, eDonkey, Limewire.


They will all soon be shut down too. This is just the tip of the iceburge fellas. The days of piracy will soon be over. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:


Fashizel, I have responded to one of your messages a few days ago. I can't sport my intelligence hard enough to do it again in such a narrow interval so I reserve the right (and the pleasure) to do it in a month or so.


Thank You Panos...I look forward to your response in the upcoming months. :)
Fashizzel
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:07 am

Postby Christopher » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:44 pm

I don't think that the other p2p networks are going to be shut down. For one thing, the RIAA and MPAA have NO case against them for what people who use their software do.
For the second, most of the other clients don't have centralized servers or use them, so it is really impossible to shut them down.
Sure, Overnet.com could stop developing the software, but that wouldn't shut it down. People would just be stuck with the last version of the client software, and would keep on using it as long as it didn't have HUGE bugs in it.
I am not as stupid or naive as people would like to believe I am.
Christopher
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:43 am

Re: Time to move!

Postby Fashizzel » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:45 pm

AlexanderHanff wrote:However, we all know file sharers are not pirates, they are just people being people and doing what people have done since the beginning; sharing.


You 100% correct...My apologies... that was not my intention, sharing and piracy are 2 different worlds. But lets be honest here we all know what goes on within WinMX. Why do you think they received the dreaded RIAA letter?
I’m glad it’s gone. And ill be happy to see the rest of them drop like flies :lol: :lol:
Fashizzel
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:07 am

Re: Time to move!

Postby zim » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:55 pm

Fashizzel wrote:
panos wrote:2) Install eMule, Shareaza, Gnucleus, Ares, eDonkey, Limewire.


They will all soon be shut down too. This is just the tip of the iceburge fellas. The days of piracy will soon be over. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:



You must be new to this interweb thing huh...

:roll:
User avatar
zim
 
Posts: 5776
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:01 am

Re: Time to move!

Postby coleisgone » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:56 pm

Fashizzel wrote:
AlexanderHanff wrote:However, we all know file sharers are not pirates, they are just people being people and doing what people have done since the beginning; sharing.


You 100% correct...My apologies... that was not my intention, sharing and piracy are 2 different worlds. But lets be honest here we all know what goes on within WinMX. Why do you think they received the dreaded RIAA letter?
I’m glad it’s gone. And ill be happy to see the rest of them drop like flies :lol: :lol:


I take it your not much of a file sharer/pirate then :roll: shame you can get some good stuff these days :lol:
coleisgone
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:07 pm

Postby Elly » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:56 pm

eclectica wrote:cut

Now some WinMX users will flock to the OpenNap and SlavaNap servers, of which some are listed at GotNap, and others that can be found by .wsx files that WinMX users trade. Will this new traffic and interest be a blessing or a curse for those server operators?


No it will not, my network has been only half full as from this summer and i welcome those who got abandoned by frontcode.

[20:57] <Server> Network: 6679/11500 users, 7.279.926 files, 322.801 GB.

Plenty of room left and it's not even all the capacity, if necessary it can be raised.

Greetz,
Elly
Elly
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:18 am
Location: The Netherlands

Postby zappauk2003 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:19 pm

eclectica wrote:A few pieces of info for you. WinMX version 3.31 was released October 19, 2002. Then in June 2004 someone registered the domain openmx.org and announced to the filesharing community that he wanted to work on an open source version of WinMX. Kevin Hearn, the developer, felt threatened and a day later announced that he was working on beta versions of WinMX. But what followed wasn't much of a change, and the program remained mostly undeveloped and abandoned.

The company was not necessarily located in Canada. That was only the location of the whois contact information. Frontcode.com and winmx.com used similar whois information until 2005-01-15, when the whois information for winmx.com changed to its exotic and enigmatic island location. ;)

As a matter of fact frontcode.com and winmx.com were working on servers hosted by Everyones Internet in Houston Texas, so the vulnerability to American law was still there.

If you ping frontcode.com and winmx.com you get nothing. If you type in with your browser window those addresses, you will get their contrived 404 error for frontcode.com, and for winmx.com you get no site found. But in fact both sites are working fine, and they have only altered the content of their sites to appear that they are offline. You can visit frontcode.com directly or through the IP address:
http://64.246.15.43/. And you can still visit winmx.com at its old IP address, though the domain name doesn't resolve to there anymore:
http://66.98.186.39/.

WinMX was my first p2p application that I used after Napster was shut down. I stopped using it in 2004 because I found better ones to replace it, and it degraded in quality. It had a loyal backing and many of its fanboys would answer the critics who complained about the lack of updates of the program, by saying that they could go somewhere else if they didn't like it and their kind was not welcome on WinMX. Those fanboys can now eat their own words, as I tell them that it would be best for them to skip the next paragraph because it may offend them.

I hope that WinMX is dead and doesn't come back because it led a miserable existence in the end, with abandonment by its developer who due to his own vanity, refused to release the source code. There are plenty of better applications out there, and it doesn't meet the rising standards of filesharing with more applications becoming open source. Though of course WinMX is still better than KaZaA. The death of WinMX is a welcome act of mercy to preserve the dignity of the p2p application.

If Slyck does an interview with Kevin Hearn, they ought to ask him what p2p application he has been using for the last 2 years.

Now some WinMX users will flock to the OpenNap and SlavaNap servers, of which some are listed at GotNap, and others that can be found by .wsx files that WinMX users trade. Will this new traffic and interest be a blessing or a curse for those server operators?


100% agree with your sentiments, if the source code was made available then it wouldn't need to die. Win Mx was my first P2P program too and in its day was superb, but that day was a fair while ago I am sorry to say.
Finally getting around to trying out Linux, life's hard when you lack intellect.
zappauk2003
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:12 pm
Location: St Helens, Merseyside, NW England

Postby locotus » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:24 pm

Another one to the Allied "graveyard". RIP
locotus
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:54 pm

Postby Allied » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:35 pm

I go away for 3 days and look what happens :lol:

Oh, I'm sorry. It's not right to laugh at a funeral. My condolences to to WinMX users. I guess WPNP's brother OpenNap is pretty torn up.

RIAA's got quite a hit list going.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
User avatar
Allied
Mostly Harmless
 
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:23 pm
Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby coleisgone » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:37 pm

Does anyone reckon this could be one of the things that prompted Ares to go open source and maybe would have been beneficial if WinMx had went the same way?
coleisgone
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:07 pm

Postby IceCube » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:38 pm

You know, this kinda reminds me of way back on the news when Osama Bin Laden started listing off countries that they were going to strike with "terrorism attacks". Here we have the RIAA listing off networks that they are going to attack. Why am I not surprised? :roll:
User avatar
IceCube
 
Posts: 17079
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: Igloo Country?

PreviousNext

Return to Slyck News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

© 2001-2008 Slyck.com