Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

MPAA Blames BitTorrent for Star Wars Distribution

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Foo » Mon May 23, 2005 6:25 am

thehmc wrote:This might sound like off the wall conspiracy theory, but it totally makes sense.

I think The MPAA and possibly Lucas in this case either allow or instruct their inside guys to distribute unauthorized copies in order to get

A) Free press. The press they've gotten from this story is worth millions in advertising.

Why? It's Star Wars for christ's sake. There's been so much buzz surrounding this movie that if you've not heard TONS about it by now, and somehow this piracy story makes you go and see it in the cinema, you're under one hell of a rock.

There's no worth in this story for them at all.
Foo

Postby grok » Mon May 23, 2005 3:13 pm

Someone said the original was MPEG. That can't be. 160mins can't fit on 1.4GB.

On ed2k, I see a 1.38G, 2:22, y41p. It is too short, but fits on two CDRs.

The most popular is a 1.37GB, 2:44, 1009kB xvid. Surely that is the original.
grok

Postby Psycho Ced » Mon May 23, 2005 3:26 pm

MPAA Blames BitTorrent for Star Wars Distribution

Maybe they should blame the people who released it. Maybe they should blame their incompetent security system/staff. Hell, if you're going to blame BT, you might as well blame IBM, Al Gore, and Brian Cohen!
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby zim » Mon May 23, 2005 4:45 pm

160 minute mpeg can fit on 1.4 gig.

5000 minute mpeg can fit on 1.4 gig too.

its just a matter of quality.
zim

Postby Bizzare » Mon May 23, 2005 6:27 pm

Believing such amendments would deter movie pirates, the MPAA had some choice words over the current leakage of Episode III.

“There is no better example of how theft dims the magic of the movies for everyone than this report today regarding BitTorrent providing users with illegal copies of Revenge of the Sith. The unfortunate fact is this type of theft happens on a regular basis on peer to peer networks all over the world," MPAA President and CEO Dan Glickman said in a press release.

my revision

Laughing at those that believe such amendments would deter movie pirates, Bizzare had some choice words over the current leakage of Episode III.

“There is no better example of how this isnt theft, and fails to dim the magic (and most importantly, the profits) of the movies for everyone than this report today regarding BitTorrent providing users with debatably-legal copies of Revenge of the Sith. The fact is this type of shit happens on a regular basis when consumers are left with no other viable choices (such as not paying insane ticket prices, not having to eat shitty popcorn when you can't bring in food, and listening to other people comment on the movie VERY LOUDLY even tho they've already seen it and know whats going to happen next)." MPAA Anti-President and Non-CEO Bizzare said in a press release.

I remember going to see Jurrasic Park. Pre-Opening Day 2 Show Only Release, Double Feature, HUGE SOLD OUT DEAL and my folks got tickets.. and some drunk asshole the whole time sat saying "OMG WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT" for first half of movie.. his gf finally shut him up..

YAY FOR THEATERS. YAY FOR ANNOYING GODDAMN CELL PHONE TONES. GLICKMAN 4EVA.

:twisted:
One Armed Against Nine Killers
Bizzare

Postby zim » Mon May 23, 2005 6:44 pm

and dont forget stupid little kids who kick the back of your seat for the entire movie.

And cant shut up and watch the movie.

one reason i dont go too often anymore. you're not allowed to slap the crap out of other peoples kids. even when they wont control them.

In such cases it should be legal to slap the hell out of the parents too.
zim

Postby Bizzare » Mon May 23, 2005 6:46 pm

i try not to post replys that are just lmfao but
HAHAHA

too right zim
One Armed Against Nine Killers
Bizzare

Postby zim » Mon May 23, 2005 7:04 pm

What.. I'm serious!

I remember the worst time ever still.

The movie was "Tank" Which really dates me eh? :)

Anyways.. The kid behind me kicked my seat every few minutes. Bouncing all over hell. And at least once every 5 minutes he asked loudly "is that the tank daddy?" And instead of shutting him up. the damm kids father ignored him.

By the end of that i was ready to slap the hell out of the kid and punch the father in the nads to prevent his ever having another. These days i think i would too. During the last star wars movie i actually stood up, turned around. and said to the two kids behind me. "SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE F UP! NOW!" VERY loudly. They did too.

And the kids parents actually had the nerve to look at me like i had just killed their children.

If i'm spendin money to see it. I want an enjoyable experience. When i want to see rugrats out of control and being loud...
I'll do it for free by going to the library.

Which is why i "steal" most of my movies anymore. The screen is almost as big. The sound is even better. I have a pause button. And if anyone wont shut up i can slap the hell out of them!
zim

Postby The Red1 » Mon May 23, 2005 8:54 pm

zim wrote:What.. I'm serious!

I remember the worst time ever still.

The movie was "Tank" Which really dates me eh? :)

Anyways.. The kid behind me kicked my seat every few minutes. Bouncing all over hell. And at least once every 5 minutes he asked loudly "is that the tank daddy?" And instead of shutting him up. the damm kids father ignored him.

By the end of that i was ready to slap the hell out of the kid and punch the father in the nads to prevent his ever having another. These days i think i would too. During the last star wars movie i actually stood up, turned around. and said to the two kids behind me. "SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE F UP! NOW!" VERY loudly. They did too.

And the kids parents actually had the nerve to look at me like i had just killed their children.

If i'm spendin money to see it. I want an enjoyable experience. When i want to see rugrats out of control and being loud...
I'll do it for free by going to the library.

Which is why i "steal" most of my movies anymore. The screen is almost as big. The sound is even better. I have a pause button. And if anyone wont shut up i can slap the hell out of them!

Hate people who can't control their kids or don't have the sense or consideration to do so!!! :evil: I don't put up with it either, screw the idiotic parents! Also adults who don't know WTF whispering is and people who drench themselves in cologne/perfum, so much that you want to puke in your popcorn!!!
Last edited by The Red1 on Tue May 24, 2005 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Red1

Postby zim » Mon May 23, 2005 9:00 pm

I dont think most people can even smell that well.

Or they would NOT be putting on 40 diffrent scents every day with the various products they use.

Older women are by far the worst. They are swimming in the stuff.

Makes me sneeze and my head hurt.

And yet they can do that freely. But people whine about secondhand smoke. ewww it stinks! i might get cancer!

I wonder what exposure to all the chemicals people are wearing will do to me? I should sue!
zim

Postby SpyderX » Thu May 26, 2005 6:14 am

Why don't I see any fingers pointed towards the production company who let the WP slip out of there. No you get its all the BT users fault. If Star Wars own people would not have leaked the movie we would not have it.
SpyderX

Postby zim » Thu May 26, 2005 2:13 pm

It makes better hype.

they think saying
"OH NO THE PIRATES RIPPED US OFF!"
gains them more than admiting
"OH NO! OUR EMPLOYEES ARE RIPPING US OFF!"

It never occurs to them that they come off looking like big fat rich hypocrites beating up on the little guy all in the name of a dollar they werent going to get anyway.
zim

Postby wooder » Thu May 26, 2005 2:38 pm

Cynical_One wrote:F*cking greed. "oh no! we made 25 mil less than we should've!' How can one mathmatically figure out if something should've made more money?
The difficulty lies not in the complexity of the mathematics, but in the determination of causation.
wooder

Postby JunqueMan » Thu May 26, 2005 3:30 pm

Uh, not sure if it's been said (just loosely scanned this thread, tired from reading the other 18 page SW3/MPAA/FBI/ICE thread), but isn't the person that accuired the work print in the first place ultimately responsible for it's distribution? :?

Junque Man
"Pass me another cold Pawtucket Patriot..."
JunqueMan

d

Postby daveyd » Fri May 27, 2005 12:51 am

ddfadf
daveyd

Postby Red_Blue » Fri May 27, 2005 2:22 am

JunqueMan wrote:Uh, not sure if it's been said (just loosely scanned this thread, tired from reading the other 18 page SW3/MPAA/FBI/ICE thread), but isn't the person that accuired the work print in the first place ultimately responsible for it's distribution?

Not unless there is some form of a criminal conspiracy to distribute it. And even if there is, only to the extent that the members of that conspiracy distributed it themselves, not the the extent of the eventual distribution as a whole.
Red_Blue

latest mpaa headline

Postby Anonymous » Fri May 27, 2005 7:29 am

Red_Blue wrote:
JunqueMan wrote:Uh, not sure if it's been said (just loosely scanned this thread, tired from reading the other 18 page SW3/MPAA/FBI/ICE thread), but isn't the person that accuired the work print in the first place ultimately responsible for it's distribution?

Not unless there is some form of a criminal conspiracy to distribute it. And even if there is, only to the extent that the members of that conspiracy distributed it themselves, not the the extent of the eventual distribution as a whole.

This just in "mpaa executives are afraid bittorent will take over the world"

Dan Glickman: as a sentient program bittorent has wormed it's way into every central server in the world and it appears the lifeforms goal is to take over the world! Wow who would have ever thought it possible........hopefully it doesnt shut down the new oil pipeline or the fields in iraq
Anonymous

Postby portland » Fri May 27, 2005 7:27 pm

I thought this article was very interesting in the USA Today....

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/ ... ring_x.htm
portland

Postby Wham » Fri May 27, 2005 7:50 pm

The only movie I ever went to was at a drive In. Ha Ha. I'll bet nobody remembers them! At any rate I didn't go to the drive in to watch the movie, I went to make out with my girl friend. I don't even know what was playing.
Wham

Postby irish » Fri May 27, 2005 9:31 pm

Well the mp ass shold have thought twice before releasing SW3 as a torrent. Usually they release these films through the cinema/theatre
irish

Postby Anonymous » Fri May 27, 2005 9:59 pm

Wham wrote:The only movie I ever went to was at a drive In. Ha Ha. I'll bet nobody remembers them! At any rate I didn't go to the drive in to watch the movie, I went to make out with my girl friend. I don't even know what was playing.

hahaha bring back drive ins and ill pay to see a movie again...HEY THAT'S A GOOD CRAZY DEFENSE if your ever sued

i so miss the drive in's i think there is maybe a dozen left in the world now :(
Anonymous

Previous

Return to Slyck News