Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

MPAA Blames BitTorrent for Star Wars Distribution

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby dakiller » Sat May 21, 2005 10:17 pm

Freebird Mike:
I love how they've personified a computer program.

"Bobby, if you don't eat your vegetables, BitTorrent will come in the middle of the night and spoil your movie-going magic by providing, if you so choose to actively seek it, a moderate quality copy of a work print with large timers obscuring the picture which may or may not be the exact same storyline as the theatrical release and was leaked to the internet community by an obvious insider who will not be ostercized for providing the print in the first place as much as Hollywood's customers who choose to download it."

NNNNOOOOOooooooo..............

I wish Bittorrent would come over and clean out my friggen garage it's a mess in there
:wink:

Califax:
Least their blaming bit torrent over newsgroups

Bloody well right!
man,i'm sick of following my dreams
i'm just gonna ask where they're headed and hook up with em later

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby The Red1 » Sat May 21, 2005 10:27 pm

First they tell everyone the #1 source for movies, now they are telling everyone where to go for 0day? What about using vague terms such as Internet Connection? :roll: Yes they are making a great profit on this movie, but they are wondering how much MORE they would have made without file sharing(of course)....GREEDY! :roll: Most people will see this in theaters anyway because it is a good movie! Why not blame the person who leaked the Work Print? Or Lucas Arts for poor security? Or themselves for supplying people with the info. on where to go to DL?.....Nevermind they are right BitTorrent is evil and must be stopped! :twisted: BitTorrent will eat your children while they sleep! :twisted:
The Red1

Postby absentmindedjwc » Sun May 22, 2005 1:03 am

skippee wrote:If pirates are such bad people then why do I feel so good about it? I'm not a bad person and I actually think I will be in heaven some day. :twisted: Wadaya say Glickman???

You must of missed the 11th comandment.... thou shalt not download copyrighted material

**** that, the movie was good... but the MPAA would not ever make a dollar off of me, they really want to go after someone... go after whoever released the movie... which would have to be on the exec level, they are the only ones who can get the POST-PRODUCTION VERSON!!!

Take it from someone that knows, the copy that is on torrent networks is a copy that would be nearly impossible to get your hands on. This is most likely a ploy by lucas films to boost the popularity of the film, one may have watched a stolen copy, but told a friend who paid to see it as a result.
absentmindedjwc

Re: Complaining about 50 millions box office?!?!

Postby 1Bullet » Sun May 22, 2005 2:45 am

nohead wrote:
After starting the day with $16,912,367 from midnight shows alone, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith closed Thursday with $50,013,859 from an estimated 9,400 screens at 3,661 theaters. That's the biggest day ever for a single movie in history.

source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com

Can MPAA make a correlation between the p2p download and the box office? The more a movie is downloaded the better the box office is?!?!

MPAA, shut the f*** up and we'll still go the movie theater for watching movies!

At this time it has grossed more dollars than any other movie. MPAA how do they explain this. I believe that people watch movie off the internet, if the film is good, most will then go see it. So I have a message for the MPAA and its members, produce better movies, if you want more people in the theaters.
1Bullet

The MPAA Is Corrupt

Postby 1Bullet » Sun May 22, 2005 3:08 am

Let’s call a spade a spade!!!
I have seen the film released on the internet, and let’s point out the facts:
It is a DVD screener with the time clocks on it.
It started as an mpeg2 and was converted to SVCD (mpeg1) a true pirate would have put it up as a full DVD (mpeg2). The movie was leaked be someone in the studio, or someone with access to the master, who produced a second rate copy, and then put it up thru a newsgroup ( a Dutch one) that is only suitable for viewing on a PC.

I believe the MPAA and its members had something to do with this, so they can go on their little raids pointing their fingers at file sharers.
And the free publicity doesn’t hurt them either.
1Bullet

Postby Famine.Monk » Sun May 22, 2005 4:18 am

3 days it will take them to make back all the money they spent on this movie (113 million) and they are still bitching.....My god...... 113 MILLION!!!!! IN 3 DAYS!!!!

What more do they want from us? I could give you my soul but I think you might have to fight M$ for it.

Edit:
O yea let me also say that its 2 days in to the release and its already the 4th highest domestic grossing movie. If I had these kind of numbers I would't be bitching and moaning about this shit.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/cha ... 005&p=.htm
Famine.Monk

Postby thehmc » Sun May 22, 2005 5:31 am

This might sound like off the wall conspiracy theory, but it totally makes sense.

I think The MPAA and possibly Lucas in this case either allow or instruct their inside guys to distribute unauthorized copies in order to get

A) Free press. The press they've gotten from this story is worth millions in advertising.

B) Allows them to further vilify file sharing and justify more lawsuits. Also, helping them bring filesharing under their control. I don't think they really want to destroy file sharing and distribution. They want to control distribution like they've always done in the past.

I doubt any insider will be found and prosecuted for this. They'll just squeeze more money and create shut downs via legal threats to the file sharing sites that don't operate under their thumb.

Just a thought.
thehmc

Re: MPAA Blames BitTorrent for Star Wars Distribution

Postby mpfenton » Sun May 22, 2005 5:33 am

SlyckTom wrote:“There is no better example of how theft dims the magic of the movies for everyone than this report today regarding BitTorrent providing users with illegal copies of Revenge of the Sith. The unfortunate fact is this type of theft happens on a regular basis on peer to peer networks all over the world," MPAA President and CEO Dan Glickman said in a press release.

There is no better example of why Dan Glickman should never have been made a CEO of a company. This has to be one of the stupidest, most out-of-touch comments I have ever seen a CEO make (including Darl McSCO).
mpfenton

Re: Happy

Postby marksman » Sun May 22, 2005 6:55 am

maniac3000 wrote:I am glad it has been released on torrents, now i get to enjoy the movie in the comfort of my own home, instead of in an $$$expensive$$$ theatre with a bunch of screaming misfits in.
Long live torrents

Long Live Software/Movie Piracy on the internet

This is what they fail to realize. While some people would never pay for it regardless, there is a marketplace that simply does not have the desire, time or inclination to go to the movie theaters. So instead of creating a model where they can satisfy multiple types of customers they turn a significant part of their potential customers into second class citizens. I imagine a lot of people would love to be able to see movies at home, be it through rental, ppv or some other distribution method, and do so before 6 months after the movie comes out.

Instead of filling this demand though, they try to stiffle and supress it, because they ignorantly believe the only way they can make money is with the very archaic model they continue to subject us to.

They are content to sustain the model that is not really what their customers want in order to squeeze every possible last dime out of them. The sad part is they are probably costing themselves significant revenue with their ignorance.

No matter how big the buzz is for any given movie, some people are just *NOT* going to go to the theater. That same buzz, however, COULD promote a portion of those people to cough up money for other delivery methods at the same time. Instead the buzz fades and then it is made available to them 6-12 months later.
marksman

Postby thejynxed » Sun May 22, 2005 10:24 am

Dan Glickman was a national Agriculture Secretary, what the hell does he really know about the entertainment industry other than what his hacks at the MPAA tell him?

And on another point, this article has been posted on /. here.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby cody » Sun May 22, 2005 10:26 am

Read this and tell me how P2P is hurting profits.

http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=191680&GT1=6542
cody

Postby cody » Sun May 22, 2005 10:36 am

cody wrote:Read this and tell me how P2P is hurting profits. They should release the stinking movie ON BT, and make TWICE as much money.

http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=191680&GT1=6542

I'm a 1st class citizen in a 2nd class society!!!
cody

Postby tArqueLL » Sun May 22, 2005 10:44 am

now, i thought it was just the bbc and all out of touch news agencies that were reporting this story wrong.. but not slyck!?!

as far as im concerend, the workprint of SWIII first showed up on a bittorent tracker at
May 18 2005, 04:56 AM

now, knowing the limitations of seeding to a whole load of peers with only one full copy, it took a while for the one seeder to up the entire 1.47gb .iso ESP. once the seeder circulated a fine sample!!.. at around 21:30 GMT, the first few peers had the entire file, verified it and circulated via much faster pipes to many other trackers...then the real power of BT took over!

This came from the bottom as far as im concerened, and i think ViSA should not be getting the credit, all they did was pack it ffs!
tArqueLL

Re: The MPAA Is Corrupt

Postby moculon » Sun May 22, 2005 11:06 am

let’s point out the facts:
It started as an mpeg2 and was converted to SVCD (mpeg1) a true pirate would have put it up as a full DVD (mpeg2).

er... svcd is mpeg2, it obviously has a lower max bitrate than dvd mpeg2. regular vcd is mpeg1.
'just because you feel it, doesn't mean it's there' radiohead.
moculon

Re: The MPAA Is Corrupt

Postby 1Bullet » Sun May 22, 2005 11:25 am

moculon wrote:
let’s point out the facts:
It started as an mpeg2 and was converted to SVCD (mpeg1) a true pirate would have put it up as a full DVD (mpeg2).

er... svcd is mpeg2, it obviously has a lower max bitrate than dvd mpeg2. regular vcd is mpeg1.

I stand corrected it was converted to VCD as it is a mpeg1. My conspiracy theory of the MPAA using this as fuel against filesharers still stands.
1Bullet

Postby crackerjacker » Sun May 22, 2005 11:51 am

Lets get straight to the point, blame the riaa and mpaa for price fixing.
crackerjacker

MY THOUGHTS ON MPAA

Postby twobeercans » Sun May 22, 2005 2:35 pm

Well I've read the story and the replies and my view is as follows;

1. Bit torrent is currently the fastest commonly available internet distribution device.

2. If something is going to be shared or distributed effectively it will be done in this way.

The idea that bit torrent is responsible for piracy and copyright theft is ludicrous - infact it is slanderous to suggest IT!!!!!

The battle against copyright theft should not be waged with users or writers of bit torrent, they are a proving ground for the advancement of computer sciences NOT A SLEAZY MARKET STOOL SELLING BOOTLEG CD'S AND DVD'S.

On the whole piracy or copyright breach is a problem for any company producing copyrighted material, it is inappropriate to reduce costs by coming down on tracker owners and or software makers.
If you are going to do it the right way then you should act against the individuals who have provided the original material for download i.e YOUR EMPLOYEE OR TRUSTED INDIVIDUAL WHO POSTED THE TIME CODED MOVIE OF 'REVENGE OF THE SITH'. :idea:
twobeercans

Postby zim » Sun May 22, 2005 3:27 pm

It sure is a shame those evil nasty pirates ripped this movie and the studios havent made any money at all on it.

oh wait. it was leaked from the inside.

and the movie made 158 million in the first 4 days. and has set a new record for cash raked in. http://news.google.com/news?q=sith%20record

hmm... so the story is a non story. and we're supposed to be upset with the evil nasty pirates why?

help me mpaa! tell me who to hate!
zim

Postby Misanthrope » Sun May 22, 2005 3:46 pm

Theres a TUN Telecine out now as well..Just wait till that hits the torrent sites..It'll really give the MPAA something to piss and moan about :)
Misanthrope

tc

Postby moculon » Sun May 22, 2005 4:27 pm

yah and the tc release the pic looks pretty great from the gifs on vcdquality... nice one tun!!!
'just because you feel it, doesn't mean it's there' radiohead.
moculon

Postby Kujo » Sun May 22, 2005 6:51 pm

MPAA, go to hell. The movie made 150+ mil over the past 4 days. Explain to me, how the hell we are hurting any profits? I will download this movie eventually, and I cannot be stopped.
Kujo

Postby grok » Sun May 22, 2005 10:16 pm

I'm sure the FBI has approached the usenet provided whose server provided the first copy. I wonder how that played out, and if they can trace the poster.

Can someone post the size and bitrate of the mpeg file?
grok

Postby 1Bullet » Sun May 22, 2005 11:54 pm

grok wrote:I'm sure the FBI has approached the usenet provided whose server provided the first copy. I wonder how that played out, and if they can trace the poster.

Can someone post the size and bitrate of the mpeg file?

1.43 GB (1,537,048,576 bytes)
Bitrate peak 1211 average 1086
1Bullet

Down with the system!

Postby bondjames_12 » Mon May 23, 2005 12:02 am

MuWhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahaha

Pirates FOREVER!!!!
bondjames_12

Postby Foo » Mon May 23, 2005 6:20 am

Joe_Rigby wrote:It makes me angry to no end they're blaming everyone that's currently sharing, of course they're going to fucking share it, it's a god damn Star Wars movie, the last one (supposedly) to be made. You make something of such significance available to the masses, they're going to take it if it's free, so I don't think they should be pissed at the people who share it (They're going to share it no matter what) But it being released 2 days in advance with it being as important as it is testament to their incompetence, and they should put the blame where it belongs. SQUARELY on their shoulders .

Surely the only reason this is your opinion is because you are on that 'side of the wall'. Were you in a position to be able to leak such an important piece of media, wouldn't your rationalisation be 'I'm just putting it out there, it's not my responsibility if people distribute it to millions of others'.
Foo

PreviousNext

Return to Slyck News