Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

SuprNova Forums Close - Merges with Snarf-It

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:00 pm

The SuprNova Forums (SNF) was perhaps one of the busiest communities during the latter part of 2004. Although it shared a similar name as the BitTorrent listing site SuprNova.org, it was not owned or operated by administrator Sloncek. This allowed the site to grow in a unique fashion; uninterrupted by any third party influences.

However, those third party influences would come to a head on December 15th, 2004 when SuprNova announced it was closing its doors forever. Initial distraught turned to optimism when it was learned Sloncek was developing a supposed next generation BitTorrent protocol named eXeem. Unfortunately, this turned once again to disappointment as it was learned the program had nothing to do with BitTorrent (labeled as "irrelevant" by Bram Cohen) and included the dreaded cydoor.

All that was left of SuprNova at this point was the SNF. While the community portion of the site continued to exist, the now non-existence BitTorrent aspect became a detriment to its popularity. To regain that BitTorrent fuel that sparked such a diverse community, SuprNovaForums has decided to merge with Snarf-it's forums. Snarf-it has proven to be a quality BitTorrent tracker and listing site since its introduction on the SNF.

"The forum has been seeing an obvious decrease in regulars attending due to the fact of SuprNova closing." explains SuprNovaForum administrator 'FD.' "It was obvious that we needed to do something to preserve the fantastic community we have there, I decided that as snarf-it.org was born in SNF, that it was the logical choice for us to become the snarf-it.org community."

While some forum members undoubtedly expressed concern regarding the loss of SNFs' identity, 'FD' assures its members the spirit that made this community great will still remain.

"Everything will remain, memberships, posts, and all, we have the db and everything backed up, we will be reskinning and removing any links with SuprNova is all. This is a fresh start but with all of the old members, we built up the biggest Invision board in the world so we aren't going to just delete it and start again. I couldn't bring myself to press the button that wiped 330,000 members. The rules will stay the same as well, there will be zero tolerance of people posting direct torrent links or cracks etc on the forum, this policy has kept the SNF safe from harm over the years and I'll be making sure the same happens with Snarf-It forums."

The volume of information being transferred to Snarf-It has proven more time consuming than anticipated. 'FD' states what was supposed to take one hour has turned into a day and-a-half affair.

"Whilst looking through the server and checking a few things it looked in bad shape system wise so I've decided on a re-image to bring it's OS and krnl up to date, this will be done tomorrow morning and we should have the forum up and running by 6pm BST (*crosses fingers.)"

With the emerging prominence of Snarf-It and backup of SuprNova's old community, interesting things may once again flourish in the BitTorrent community. In addition, Snarf-It plans to implement a script that will index "every single live torrent on the net (approximately 110,000) in addition to supporting eMule links." While BitTorrent fans hope Snarf-It resurrects SuprNova’s successful history, many hope to avoid its duplication.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Snakey » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:12 pm

Hello All,

While waiting for the forum to open, please feel free to stop by our irc channel to pass the time or voice
any questions or concerns. Our channel can be found at
#snarf-it on the new p2p-irc network. We hope to see you there, and thank you for all of your support in everything that we do.

Regards

Snakey
Snarf-it Admin
Snakey

Re: SuprNova Forums Close - Merges with Snarf-It

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:19 pm

SlyckTom wrote:
[eXeem] - "labeled as "irrelevant" by Bram Cohen"

Thats gotta hurt.

SlyckTom wrote:"It was obvious that we needed to do something to preserve the fantastic community we have there, I decided that as snarf-it.org was born in SNF, that it was the logical choice for us to become the snarf-it.org community."

eXeem, SuprNova.org, & more importantly, poor Sloncek, getting disowned!

Well best of luck to snarf-it, I've never posted on SNF, but might drop by :roll: .. SIF.. :?: ...to check things out.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby LxBeast » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:27 pm

Well the community spirit should live on, even if SuprNova is dead.

I may stop by for a look when all is done and dusted.

Anyway I wish Snarf-It all the best, good luck :!:
LxBeast

Postby Renegade » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:14 pm

Anyone else noticed this article on respectp2p yet? :P

http://respectp2p.org/article/5/

maybe a promising contender for decentralised BT :) (then again maybe not.. who knows)
Renegade

Postby LxBeast » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:16 pm

Off topic: A thread exists here

...and now the topic continues.....
LxBeast

The SuprNova Community

Postby chasingsol » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:31 pm

As Snakey above indicated, the SuprNova community has evolved. SuprNova was great as were the SuprNova Forums hosted by FD, but the focus of sloncek changed, and so the people that made the community what it was have moved their focus to other pursuits.

The former SuprNova IRC network, has changed to become the P2P IRC Network (connect to irc.p2p-irc.net) which Snakey mentioned above in his post. We host several channels for other torrent sites, including Snarf-It, MiniNova, TorrentMatrix, TranceTraffic, Kerrazy-Torrents etc. We'd like to invite all members of the Peer To Peer community on to our IRC network.

Cheers,

chasingsol
http://P2P-IRC.net Network Admin
chasingsol

Postby Allied » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:40 pm

Snarf-it is no Suprnova
In alot of ways its better. Its got a better page layout, ED2K links and p0rn. The forums have managed to keep a politics section going without anyone being banned for flaming(that i know of).
And I really love that Spamathon.

But Suprnova had something Snarf-it may never have.
Suprnova was a leader. At its peak "Suprnova" was a synonym for BitTorrent. Everyone knew Suprnova.org was a site where you could download the latest game/movie/album. Putting aside the down time and the occasional spam and virus torrents. Suprnova.org had amazing credability.

Snarf-it will have to work alot harder for that kinda cred. The competition for top BitTorrent site is huge. To get that title you've got to give the torrents away without registration, without a million ads and without the site going down every second week.

Snarf-it does have 1 huge edge. Bigger than its hash links or even the p0rn. The site is in China. Far away from world trade agreements. If the MPAA-holes ever attempt another BitTorrent genocide, Snarf-it will be sitting pretty.

I can't think of any cool way to end this editorial. Those are my thoughts, the end.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby IH » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:04 pm

http://isohunt.com/stats.php?mode=btSites

Almost 140,000 active torrents indexed from 100+ sites. Snarf-it can just copy this list of sites to index for all I care.

Cheers
IH

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:23 pm

heh
SlyckTom

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:07 pm

IH wrote:http://isohunt.com/stats.php?mode=btSites

Almost 140,000 active torrents indexed from 100+ sites. Snarf-it can just copy this list of sites to index for all I care.

Cheers

_____________ :roll:

Reminds me of BT Sites
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Leiflvr » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:13 am

I've been a member of the SNF community for over a year now and the one thing that keeps me coming back is the people. Everyone is really friendly and willing to help you out if you need it. There aren't any factions or cliques that you'll find in alot of other forums and, for me, it's a nice place to hang out. The admins and mods are very good at keeping things in order and the fact that FD, M@W and Snakey listen to suggestions from members on what they would like to see implemented on the board, gives everyone a feeling that they have a stake in how the board runs and therefore take pride in being part of the community.

Although the Suprnova name disappearing makes me a little nostalgic, the fact that the people are staying pretty much the same is the most important fact. Hopefully some of you will pass by when the forums are up so you can see for yourselves how strong the community is.
Leiflvr

Postby Rogue » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:34 am

What a fantastic forum suprnova was. It had some of the nicest, most helpful and entertaining members I have ever known on a forum. It was such a shame the main site was closed and with it members stopped coming to the forums.
The place became too clicky afterwards and imo bad choices were made regarding one or two cunts being made Mods etc, which ruined the somewhat uniquely "warm" atmosphere of the place.

I am glad to have found both suprnova and suprnovaforums, wish another site was around with as good a vibe as that place.
Rogue

Return to Slyck News