Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Mandatory Action Regarding Signatures...

An area for general chat not related to file-sharing.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby AnTiDeatH » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:13 am

This topic got boring i decided not to read it :) Seriously all you have to do is disable sigs theres nothing wrong with smilies :D
AnTiDeatH

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:30 pm

*bump*

Seen a few users around with very flashy sigs, and I hate going around telling everyone what to do. So here, hope you'll be reading the first post in this thread now. :wink: :lol:

Maybe this will help for a bit, and then we can let it fall again
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:37 pm

How the hell did you manage to find this thread 2p!!? :shock: :lol:

Just been searching for it myself a few moments ago! - knew the subject title, but just couldn't find it!
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:39 pm

Actually, I've been using it enough the past two months to know it's on the third page of the Lounge! :roll:

I keep PM'ing the newer members (and the not-so-new-come-backs) with a small welcome/welcome back note and a link to this thread.
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Mrs. 2p

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:42 pm

Glad you knew where it was! ...

I've converted it into an 'announcement' thread so it's a bit easier to find in future :)
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:44 pm

Yeah, thought about that myself. Then figured that if Tom didn't deem it necessary to that to his own post, then it was better to just bump it.

Hope it'll attract attention now...
Mrs. 2p

Postby iNaNimAtE » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:21 pm

2pstudent wrote:I keep PM'ing the newer members (and the not-so-new-come-backs) with a small welcome/welcome back note and a link to this thread.

*sob* I'm an offender!

And to think she just took the time to say hello... =)
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby Anonymous » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:51 pm

wow!you guys resurected this?! :D
hmm wouldn't it be easier to just disable or restrict the sigs' pics/text?

ps:very noble of you 2p,to be doing that *bows in respect*
Anonymous

Postby j_dogg » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:00 am

We don't need to enforce it as of yet, as voluntary action has worked fin... Slyck looks much better because of it as well. However, there are quite a few people here exceeding the 100x100 pixel ava size, Slyck's informal standard as far as I'm aware. I'm more aware of this than most, since I'm stuck on dial up, but it also helps the forums asthetic attributes when people adhere to this.
j_dogg

Postby Mrs. 2p » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:53 am

yup! been PM'ing a few members on that issue too! But you can't see them all, you can't expect everyone to read their PM's on a short notice, nor canyou expect them to have the time on that precise day to crop them down.

But in no more than 2-3 days, I've noticed everyone complies, which is quite a good response, if you ask me. and Inanimate, I was indeed popping in to say hello! (what can I say? just my charming little self!)

...and to see if I could round up another vote in the process....

accomplished all three missions that time: welcome! now for your sig and your vote! ;)
Mrs. 2p

Voluntary Action Regarding Signatures...

Postby SlyckChuck » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:57 am

As for sigs to make sure the view of threads are not skewed this was asked. I decided once long ago to add a sig and got balled out for it, so by all means please observe this because it benefits the community. Thx from this goofy spamming bastard.. :lol:
Last edited by SlyckChuck on Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlyckChuck

Postby j_dogg » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:15 am

Well even though I'm not in a position to ake action mysle,f I also p.m poeple large avas and pics int here sigs. usually pointing to this thread and requesting that they please change it themselves. When i have the time, I'll crop the pic and give them a link, so there is no excuse. And I've always got the SLyck MOD team to help if someone flat out refuses, although I haven;t had this happen yet, everyone complies.
It is a bit annying when peopel don't answer p.m's or only post a couple times and never return and leave a masive ava, but again, nothing the mods can't fix.

Good to see I'm not the only one doing this 2p. I do make sure they know I;m not a MOD though, I feel using authority, or a false sense of it is quite plainly wrong.
j_dogg

Postby Solomon » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:09 am

Going back to 2p's suggestion on the first page re post counts differentiating between veterans and n00bs, is it possible to have 2 buttons under a posting saying "helpful" and "unhelpful"? Clicking on it would go towards a count, under the users signature, that shows how helpful/unhelpful they have been.

Ive seen something similar done on another computer help site, where (I think) you have to vote how helpful a reply was before you can ask for more help, or something like that.

Whats everyone think?
Solomon

Postby Mrs. 2p » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:25 am

Sorry, kid, but actually, I like the way it is now, you can tell if you're dealing with a veteran poster from the 500+ or 1000+ next to the ava.

Rating other users can only end in a sad story. With a some being stigmatized, others having a big head; some being ignored because they made a mistake earlier, others being blindly followed because one correct post they made...

...and a few abusing the feature to put down other members (I guess flaming and trolling is somewhat inevitable, but what's the point in encouraging it?)

It would open an pandora box, just like the "flame room" in other forums. I don't think Slyck should provide for users to officialy pass judgement on each others.
Mrs. 2p

Postby johngalt » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:27 pm

Amen. Very aptly put as well.

And seeing as I never received a PM I am assuming that my sig / avatar are OK?

I am I.
johngalt

Postby SlyckChuck » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:00 am

Rating someone is a bad idea because such a thing would show an administrators preference of an opinion maker over another. More clearly it would reward someone who is not worthy or possibly discredit a person who gives valid points. I am sure all of us has disagreed with one another be it a big subject or just details. By respecting other opinions though at times we differ, the community is stronger without adding something with more bias (positive or negative) :idea:

Again the suggestion that made this thread possible was some signatures made the viewing screen skewed and was annoying to many who come here.
The 80's Still Rule
SlyckChuck

Postby johngalt » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:07 am

Oh , wait, I remeber that now. I remember because it did nto affect mine since I run 1600 X 1200.

Kewl, and since I didn't really get a response I'll assume I am in the clear. :twisted:

I am I.
johngalt

Postby SlyckChuck » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:20 am

cool! Lemme see if this works. It dont so pls lay off the idea of attaching sigs. It screws up the wiewing potential for others. :idea:
The 80's Still Rule
SlyckChuck

Postby Jera » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:31 pm

Godammit. OK FINE i'll remove the sig.

But just so you people know, I REALLY liked it being there and you should all feel guilty or soomething..... :wink:
Do Androids Dream Of Electro Beats?
Jera

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:48 pm

I do feel guilty jera, I do.

If it makes you feel any better, I won't sleep properly tonight :lol: (it was a neat sig, btw... maybe you can convert the theme into an ava or something?)
Mrs. 2p

Postby DaBlade » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:19 pm

Same here. Although I complain to Tom and not you 2p. I was gonna resize mine, while Tom completely removed it. :evil:
I must say Tom, (no offence) you're a major pain in the ass sometimes.

My sig:
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby DepecheNode » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:25 pm

Halo's.. er... DaBlade's location wrote:You'll fit in perfectly

I just read your location... I'm always a bit reserved when another man tells me i'll fit IN perfectly... :shock: :wink:

A bit off-topic... sorry...
DepecheNode

Postby DaBlade » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:26 pm

DepecheNode wrote:
Halo's.. er... DaBlade's location wrote:You'll fit in perfectly

I just read your location... I'm always a bit reserved when another man tells me i'll fit IN perfectly... :shock: :wink:

It's a joke, and BTW, unless you haven't thought about it, everyone else sees it that way too, ergo it ain't pointed at you specifically. :idea: :lol: :lol: Maybe I should edit in ..Tom.. :P
:lol: :lol:
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:43 pm

you're a major pain in the ass sometimes.

You'll fit in perfectly

You're starting to worry me Halo...;)

In anycase...

Halo, I sent you a PM on this today and you did nothing. I also have told you many times in the past - no graphics in the signature. I dont know what make you think the rules dont apply to you, but I really dont think you understand the pain you can be sometimes.
SlyckTom

Postby miner » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:31 pm

i think that huge sig of dablade's deserves the vader choke treatment :)
miner

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge