Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Mandatory Action Regarding Signatures...

An area for general chat not related to file-sharing.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Mandatory Action Regarding Signatures...

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:37 am

Hi All...

As you have probably noticed, we have removed the post count as we make changes to the forums.

Another point of concern is the signatures. We are debating whether to: a) eliminate them completely, b) make them text only, or c) significantly reduce the emphasis of the pictures, which have gotten to be a bit ridiculous...

Why? The forums are starting to look a bit unprofessional, and a bit more like 'other' forums. We don’t want that and I’m sure many others don’t want that either.

So, for those with oversized picture based signatures, or those advertising for their own personal P2P application (hint: Mammoth), I ask you to voluntarily resize your graphics or better yet, eliminate them completely. For those advertising, I also ask to remove such proprietorship. I think by doing this it will improve the overall experience of these forums...

Lastly, unless it is absolutely necessary, please refrain from plastering pics in your message. Take a look at this thread, and you will understand what I mean. It simply looks like a child's thread...

Thank you!

Tom
Last edited by SlyckTom on Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SlyckTom

Postby DaBlade » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:47 am

I have reduced my signature quite a lot. And I'll try not to use as many pics in the posts as I did there. :oops:
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby dakiller » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:51 am

sig pic removed
Last edited by dakiller on Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
man,i'm sick of following my dreams
i'm just gonna ask where they're headed and hook up with em later

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:00 pm

I have reduced my signature quite a lot.

Thank you HaloFan...and just remember there's no limit as to how small it can be ;)
SlyckTom

professionalism!

Postby moculon » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:12 pm

yeah i do like sometimes to see what programmes other writers that i have gained a respect for support. in this regard having progs in their sig is ok. i think pictures in the signatures are a tough one, i'm not sure i like them to be honest.
'just because you feel it, doesn't mean it's there' radiohead.
moculon

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:29 am

alright fine im removing it as i speak. also sorry if i offended anyone by advertising.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:45 am

can we still keep the website in our little things (next to msn icw and that)
Anonymous

Postby eclectica » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:53 am

You should disable image displays and smilies in signatures, but allow for bbcode such as links to still work.

vBulletin boards have an option in the user's profile in which the user can have pictures displayed for users or not when viewing the inline [.img.] images, but there is not such an option here, so you might consider disabling [.img.] tags from being displayed inline as well.
© copylefted
eclectica

Postby ToM » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:25 am

eclectica wrote:You should disable image displays and smilies in signatures, but allow for bbcode such as links to still work.

vBulletin boards have an option in the user's profile in which the user can have pictures displayed for users or not when viewing the inline [.img.] images, but there is not such an option here, so you might consider disabling [.img.] tags from being displayed inline as well.

I like this idea. Who needs the ability to post images? The only images I imagine people want to see outside the lounge are those of screenshots relating to P2P programs and help, which of course can be linked to in a regular link.

Really, Slyck doesn't need half the "features" most other boards have, like post counts, images and flashy gimics. Most people come to Slyck for the news and intelligent discussion. The lounge should be the spam area, not the actual P2P sections.
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby Renegade » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:38 am

Yes, remove all the fancies and restrict signatures to size 10 bbcode, will force people to be sensible, and disable img tags and large sizes for everyone except mods. Drastic? No, not the way some posters on slyck are going.
Renegade

Postby ToM » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:44 am

Yes size 10 bbcode in sigs is sensible (my current sig text size) as it doesn't clash with the regular forum posts. It also looks much sexier and is guaranteed to give your site more hits than some giant, red, emboldened, eye-sore of a text link which will make your site look like an ES5 subsidiary.
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby dakiller » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:53 am

ToM wrote:Yes size 10 bbcode in sigs is sensible (my current sig text size) as it doesn't clash with the regular forum posts. It also looks much sexier and is guaranteed to give your site more hits than some giant, red, emboldened, eye-sore of a text link which will make your site look like an ES5 subsidiary.

you might well have a valid point
but don't you think having tags in your sig bashing another user is kinda juvenile

That particular user can get under my skin, but don't you think that, that kind of kiddy crap (taking a shot in sig) is just as bad?

P2PForums.com - So good I don't even need a giant HaloFan-like image in my sig to promote it.
MVGroup - As above.

MVGroup - High Quality Documentary Releases - Halofans not welcome
P2PForums.com - Your local friendly forum

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby ToM » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:09 am

dakiller wrote:
ToM wrote:Yes size 10 bbcode in sigs is sensible (my current sig text size) as it doesn't clash with the regular forum posts. It also looks much sexier and is guaranteed to give your site more hits than some giant, red, emboldened, eye-sore of a text link which will make your site look like an ES5 subsidiary.

you might well have a valid point
but don't you think having tags in your sig bashing another user is kinda juvenile

That particular user can get under my skin, but don't you think that, that kind of kiddy crap (taking a shot in sig) is just as bad?

P2PForums.com - So good I don't even need a giant HaloFan-like image in my sig to promote it.
MVGroup - As above.

MVGroup - High Quality Documentary Releases - Halofans not welcome
P2PForums.com - Your local friendly forum

This is just a joke, and I'll remove it by the end of today ;) I think even HaloFan can see I'm just being sarcastic. I'm not trying to flame him or anything.
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby dakiller » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:18 am

I understand its "just a joke"
but I'm sure you got my point
:lol:

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby j_dogg » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:28 am

I also think that size 10 text only sig's (links allowed) would definatley help the situation. Also the idea of disabling img tags has a lot of merit as well.

Also, is there a limit on ava's? Most forums are 80x80 pixels... If not, this should also be considered.
j_dogg

Postby ToM » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:49 am

dakiller wrote:I understand its "just a joke"
but I'm sure you got my point
:lol:

P2PForums.com - So good I don't even need a giant image in my sig to promote it.
MVGroup - As above.

Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby dakiller » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:50 am

Quote:
P2PForums.com - So good I don't even need a giant image in my sig to promote it.
MVGroup - As above.

:lol: :lol:
plus my ugly mug is now smaller
actual photo
jk

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby Mrs. 2p » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:06 am

well, been away for a few days... just saw this, :shock: so off to reduce the fonts in my sig (if I may be allowed to call it that). :)

And while I realize how childish and baby-like post counts are... we were certainly having fun with them. What harm can they do? Also, as someone suggested elsewhere (j_dogg, maybe?), they help to recognize the newbies from the veterans, which is a good feature for those of us who are newbies ourselves and want to learn.

Professionalism and seriousness comes from content, not image. The fact that professionals also know how to have fun, be foolish, and appreciate aesthetics can only work in their favor. It allows/forces them to get off the horse for a bit, and goes to show they don't rely on boredom to build their image.

The greatest intellectuals are those who can tell a good joke.

As for childishness in pictures... I find there is a lot more of that in flame wars and trolling. Now that lessens any image of professionalism.

...especially if part of the flaming comes from the admin himself. Sorry, Tom!

Btw, being a firm believer in prevention, rather than repression, I suggest (again) that maybe a few more emoticons would incentivate to not resort to pictures for expression. Nothing fancy, simply adding those at fooltank, for example, might go a long way.
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby tm, » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:55 am

I often use an old laptop pc with a totally full HDD (so there is not room for a big cache of images) and a slow dialup modem that does not even get 56k speed, so these imbedded images in the forum pages are like a hostile enemy I am always fighting. If I turn off the image capability of the browser, I lose the functionality of vital icons, if I don't, then it takes forever to generate a forum webpage plastered with stupid images.

So for me, getting socked with a pageful of pictures is the equivalent of getting a digital wedgie - it's no fun being being on the receiving end. The Slyck forum is turning into a graffiti wall, and if nothing is done to clean it up, that only invites more of the same behavior. As with everything else in life, it is only a few people who are abusing the system, and since it is probably difficult to target only them, then all of us will just have to give up our privileges.

Yes, would be a huge benefit if Slyck would turn off, shrink, or limit all images in posts, signatures, and avatars.
tm,

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:57 am

2pstudent wrote:well, been away for a few days... just saw this, :shock: so off to reduce the fonts in my sig (if I may be allowed to call it that). :)

And while I realize how childish and baby-like post counts are... we were certainly having fun with them. What harm can they do? Also, as someone suggested elsewhere (j_dogg, maybe?), they help to recognize the newbies from the veterans, which is a good feature for those of us who are newbies ourselves and want to learn.

Professionalism and seriousness comes from content, not image. The fact that professionals also know how to have fun, be foolish, and appreciate aesthetics can only work in their favor. It allows/forces them to get off the horse for a bit, and goes to show they don't rely on boredom to build their image.

The greatest intellectuals are those who can tell a good joke.

As for childishness in pictures... I find there is a lot more of that in flame wars and trolling. Now that lessens any image of professionalism.

...especially if part of the flaming comes from the admin himself. Sorry, Tom!

Btw, being a firm believer in prevention, rather than repression, I suggest (again) that maybe a few more emoticons would incentivate to not resort to pictures for expression. Nothing fancy, simply adding those at fooltank, for example, might go a long way.

Couldn't agree more, nor said it better myself 2p!
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby JiMiThInG » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:07 am

I'm a fan of the bouncing boobs...but I guess they could go...
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
JiMiThInG

Postby Ooble » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:41 am

Perhaps all inline images could be automatically resized to 640x480. And images shouldn't be allowed in sigs, full stop.
[code:1]char str[20];
scanf("%19s", &str);
if (!strcmpi(str, "Hello, world!"))
printf("Hello, programmer.\n");[/code:1]
Ooble

Location: Wouldn't you like to know, SlyckTom? Just so you can sell my address to the RIAA? No chance.

Postby DaBlade » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:46 am

I've removed my sig image. See?
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby Ooble » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:57 am

I know, but not everyone has. See 'bouncing boobs'.
[code:1]char str[20];
scanf("%19s", &str);
if (!strcmpi(str, "Hello, world!"))
printf("Hello, programmer.\n");[/code:1]
Ooble

Location: Wouldn't you like to know, SlyckTom? Just so you can sell my address to the RIAA? No chance.

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:57 am

Thanks JiMiThInG!

And Halo...I am going to remove your ability to post graphics and restrict you to 10 pt font ;)
SlyckTom

Next

Return to Lounge