Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Last movie you watched...

An area for general chat not related to file-sharing.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: Last movie you watched...

Postby sunnyd » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:16 pm

I just finished watching Crazy Heart
I think Jeff Bridges does a great job playing the role. I found it to be very entertaining, a real good movie imo.
9/10

Edit: I had to clarify the word "entertaining" here, the songs and music were entertaining, and the story does work itself out in the right way, but what his character (Jeff Bridges) represented for the majority of the movie was not meant to be entertaining at all in the sense of being a "funny" role, in fact, quite the opposite, it's drama, but still a very good movie.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:35 pm

Another great movie, if you like detective movies.

Edge Of Darkness

Full of intense scenes, a lot of suspense and killing. It has everything a good detective movie should have. The ending was good too. I am not a huge Mel Gibson fan, but he was good in this movie. 9/10
sunnyd

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Cast: Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Sandy Dennis, George Segal

the only movie ever nominated for an oscar in every category it was eligible. there is no movie with better acting, across the board, ever. taylor and burton were two of the best, and they were born to play Martha and George. they are fucking brilliant, and the irony is that jack warner wanted to cast bette davis and james mason - but mike nichols (director) and ernest lehman (screenplay from edward albee's play) decided to go with liz and dick instead. not many movies deserve a 10. this one's a no brainer. this is as good as it gets.
MrFredPFL

Postby fervent » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:41 am

I watched AVATAR yesterday. This film is real masterpiece! I like it greatly and I want to watch it more and more!
Life is a conflict of opposites
fervent

Postby sunnyd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:14 am

The Blind Side 2009

Absolutely outstanding movie imo. Sandra Bullock and Quinton Aaron were excellent. This movie reminded me of some volunteer work I did in the past to help others in unfortunate circumstances, so watching this movie was very rewarding. Not many will get the opportunity that Michael had in this movie, based on the book which is a true story (see link below), but it makes you feel happy for anyone that does get a second chance in life to better themselves, regardless of who helped them achieve that success, or if they accomplished it on their own.
10/10

More Information
sunnyd

Postby Fartingbob » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:57 am

Indiana Jones and the Raider of the Lost Ark
You may have heard of this film, it achieved small amounts of success when released back in the early 80's.
Rating: 11/10. :D
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby zbeast » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Alice in Wonderland 6 out of 10...

It's not a bad film but over all it felt really thin and unfulfilling.
it was like being hungry and expecting a good meal but then being taken out to Denny's.

II saw the film in 3D which I think distracted from the movie experience as the
plastic glasses they gave you were all blurred from handling by others.
I'm having a custom set made for me by a friend who makes eye glasses.

The movie experience was not bad. tho it too me 4 try's before I was able to see this film.
First attempt opening weekend it was sold out.
Second attempt I got invited to go skiing... That overrides any movie watching.
Third attempt the projector broke.
Forth Attempt I got a change to sit down.

Before the film I got a change to watch 20 mins of ad's then 15 min's of trailers
then the film. ( watched so much advertising content they should be paying me)
I would have cost me $15,00 a ticket but a friend gave me some passes.

AMC Movie theaters no longer let you bring in outside food..
Like I care, I sneaked in (Ice Cream and a bottle's of real sugar coke.)
Beat's the heck out of $10,00 for a bottle of water and a small old dry bag of popcorn.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Ratt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:35 am

Fartingbob wrote:Film: Sunshine
Director: Danny Boyle
Rating: 5/10

This movie would have been great if they hadnt tacked on the pointless scary man killing folk at the end and just stuck to the majestic tone of the first half.

I just watched Sunshine so to dig this one out...surely, the psycho at the end is necessary to fully represent the themes of the movie? One theme is mankind's extreme vulnerability - to the universe killing us by snuffing out the sun, and the mission to save us being so easily derailed by human errors and internal strife - and the other theme is the hope and optimism that science can ultimately persevere over every challenge, but not without religious fundamentalism always trying to trip up science, even at the very edge of extinction. The psychotic saboteur is the living embodiment of our irrational self-destructive urges that motivate apocalyptic christianity, muslim fundamentalists, etc.

What I am saying is that it's not nearly as gratuitous as, for example, the third act of Hollow Man which has a very similar psycho but whose motivations are much less believable than in Sunshine.

Personally, I can't remember the last time I felt so humbled by a scifi movie, probably not since seeing A Space Odyssey.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby in_hiding » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Last one at home: The Darjeeling Limited. It doesn't really go anywhere but it's sweet all the same.

Last one in the cinema: Eden Lake. Deliverance for the 2000s. My brain knows it's just a collection of middle-class fears put on celluloid, but still...
My girlfriend and I both came out of it physically nauseated and emotionally raw.
Forum Rules: Avatars shall not exceed a data size of 2OØ kilobytes.
in_hiding

Postby bronquel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:58 pm

Accepted

"Let's start this fake college. Then, we'll go start a meth lab somewhere. It's a gateway crime. That's how these things start. "
bronquel

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Ratt wrote:
Fartingbob wrote:Film: Sunshine
Director: Danny Boyle
Rating: 5/10

This movie would have been great if they hadnt tacked on the pointless scary man killing folk at the end and just stuck to the majestic tone of the first half.

I just watched Sunshine so to dig this one out...surely, the psycho at the end is necessary to fully represent the themes of the movie? One theme is mankind's extreme vulnerability - to the universe killing us by snuffing out the sun, and the mission to save us being so easily derailed by human errors and internal strife - and the other theme is the hope and optimism that science can ultimately persevere over every challenge, but not without religious fundamentalism always trying to trip up science, even at the very edge of extinction. The psychotic saboteur is the living embodiment of our irrational self-destructive urges that motivate apocalyptic christianity, muslim fundamentalists, etc.

What I am saying is that it's not nearly as gratuitous as, for example, the third act of Hollow Man which has a very similar psycho but whose motivations are much less believable than in Sunshine.

Personally, I can't remember the last time I felt so humbled by a scifi movie, probably not since seeing A Space Odyssey.

True, ive watched it again recently in blu-ray and is is a great film. I still dont agree with the direction of the second half, but it does have some truely majestic scenes, and good acting.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:02 pm

Movie: Rebel Without a Cause
Year: 1955

this is not a great movie. it's not bad, but no way i'd call it great. but it features a great cast which was cursed.

james dean: this is the first time i've watched a full movie starring him. now that i've seen it, i can wholeheartedly agree with all the glowing praise about him. the guy really was a hell of an actor. died at the age of 24 in a car crash.

sal mineo: another very talented actor, murdered at the age of 37.

natalie wood: talented and beautiful, drowned at the age of 43.

the lasting impression i'll take away from this film is that james dean deserves all the hype he gets. a damn shame he never got the chance to make more than 3 movies.
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:27 pm

The Cutting Edge (1992)

Great movie if you like ice skating, (both hockey and figure skating). It's always funny to see a hockey player who is not used to toe picks on figure skates. I have worn both, and it's not the easiest adjustment to make from one to the other. The movie has a good story line, comedy, romance, and of course, great skating. I saw part of the movie many years ago, but finally watched the whole thing.

8/10
sunnyd

Postby multivariable » Mon May 10, 2010 9:35 pm

Iron Man 2

8.5/10

not too bad, although the consensus of my family was that the ending was disappointingly anti-climactic and that Iron Man 1 was better overall.

Of course, the original Iron Man didn't feature Scarlett Johanssen in a skin-tight body suit...
multivariable

Postby sunnyd » Sat May 22, 2010 8:19 pm

The Bounty Hunter 2010

I thought Jenifer Aniston and Gerard Butler were real good together in this movie. It had drama, romance, comedy, etc., and it was a light and fun movie to watch.

8.5/10
sunnyd

Postby Captain America » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:25 pm

:popcorn:
Fanboys 2008

"No one calls Haaaaan Solo a bitch!"

8/10

If your a nerd, geek or a Lucas-fan, then you should love this one. It's a film that doesn't try to be anything exceptionally great: yet, exceeds impressively with what it's trying to accomplish.
(waiting for mrfredpfl corrections here).....
My Machine:Intel I7 @ 2.7ghz| MSI X58 Platinum SLI Socket 1366 ATX Motherboard MS-7522| 2x Hitachi 500gig internal| Geforce gtx 260 core 216|SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 2x| dvd lightscribe|Vista 64bit
Captain America

Postby sunnyd » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:39 am

Greenberg 2010
After watching one third of it, I fast forwarded and saw the end. Sure glad I wasted no more time on this one.
2/10

I had just recently pulled an old Disney movie for my friend's children, so I decided to watch that for fun (had not seen it in years). A Disney classic The Incredible Journey 1963 This movie is for sure a 10/10, the acting (training) of the dogs, and even the cat, is great, lol. I have a Labrador, so of course, it's always fun to watch them. An "oldie but goodie" movie for sure. :)
sunnyd

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:14 pm

The Usual Suspects - 1995

ummmmm... ok, it's a good movie, but i have a question for the countless people who are responsible for it getting ranked as the 23rd alltime best movie at IMDB:

what the fuck are you all smoking?
MrFredPFL

Postby bengreen » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:51 am

I just rewatched Slumdog Millionaire. I think that was my third time watching it. Just as good as the first time around. It's one of the few movies that actually lived up to its hype.

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:57 am

i'm curious, ben. do you think readers here are as preoccupied with goldfish names as you would seem to be?
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:54 am

Hmm......Cha Cha wants you to ask a question, then they give you one or two results, and if you don't like those, they send you to a guide where you create an account and pay for other answers. No thanks. :) As for goldfish names........um....well...:lol:
sunnyd

Postby HouseCrowd » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:33 am

bengreen wrote:I just rewatched Slumdog Millionaire. I think that was my third time watching it.

Got the memory of a goldfish too ;)

Goldfish can of course watch the same movie over and over, since each time will seem like the first time they ever watched it.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby multivariable » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:06 am

interestingly, it seems that the common belief that goldfish have a short memory span is a myth. i recently watched a story about it on Catalyst, the science show on the ABC.

here's a news article about it from a couple of years ago.

whether the little fishies can remember each other's names for that long is another matter, i suspect. :wink:
multivariable

Postby HouseCrowd » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:15 am

:lol:

Actually, I knew that. I read/watched something about that too a while ago, but I figured I'd ignore that little-known fact ... for the sake of comedic value :wink:
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby sabremyth » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:46 am

despicable me , those minions were really funny. :D
Free newsgroups access
anon, lossless, free, euro uncensored image hosting is here. gif avatars too can be hotlinked.
sabremyth

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge