Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Last movie you watched...

An area for general chat not related to file-sharing.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: Last movie you watched...

Postby in_hiding » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:13 am

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
(2007)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/king_of_kong/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_o ... f_Quarters

It's not just about classic 80's arcade games: it's also got mullets and Mr.Awesome's Guide to Picking up Girls!!!

Seriously, though: it's got drama, comedy, intrigue, consipiracies, perseverance, disappointment and triumph. A great story and a great documentary.
Forum Rules: Avatars shall not exceed a data size of 2OØ kilobytes.
in_hiding

Postby sunnyd » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Unstoppable (2010) November

I watched it last nite, very good movie, and both Denzel Washington and Chris Pine played their roles well. With some movies the end is quite predictable, which this one was (for the most part), but it still kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I turned the sound down for this movie, but it didn't matter, I still feel like I am on a train, and am still hearing the LOUD train-on-the-track at 70mph noise, lol.

Also recently watched...

Dear John (2010) and Remember Me (2010) Both are very good, but they would be in the "chick flick" category. :wink:
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby bluebird » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:18 am

Chloe

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1352824/

Liam Neeson is one of my favourite actors and Julianne Moore was Hot, Hot, Hot in this film :P

OK so this story has been done before, but not as erotic as this :twisted:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Douglas Adams

If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun x
bluebird
Shopping Fairy

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:41 pm

Falling Down - drama (1993) - Michael Douglas, Robert Duvall

pretty good. a couple of majorly stupid things in the plot, but they don't really undermine the story.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - drama (1958) - Elizabeth Taylor, Paul Newman, Burl Ives

damn good. if you're looking for chase scenes, explosions, special effects and excitement, forget it. this movie is all about dialog. the only problem with it is that Tennessee Williams' play dealt with a subject that was completely off limits in 1958 movies, and as a result, they had to somewhat alter the story line to work around it, but they did a good job of it. hard to understand how Burl Ives was not even nominated for an Oscar for this - his portrayal, imo, makes Big Daddy one of the most memorable movie characters ever.
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:51 am

That Evening Sun (2009) Drama
Absolutely outstanding imo, and I will have to agree with every sentence, as I have quoted from the review in IMDb...
"That Evening Sun," starring Hal Holbrook. Now in his 80s, Holbrook gives a tremendous and subtle performance, as do all of the other actors in this Southern Gothic set in Tennessee: Walton Goggins, Mia Wasikowska, Carrie Preston and Ray McKinnon. With a screenplay written by Scott Teems, like fine red wine, well made and maintained, every character of the movie is developed and complex - even the barking dog!

The tension between characters, circumstances and passions makes this film a rarity, genuinely gripping from scene to scene and unpredictable to the end. The sound track is beautiful and delicately augments the emotional tension as the film wonderfully plays against the painterly rustic sharecropper house interior, forest, sunset sky and fantastically grizzled faces of authentically rendered people pursuing their respective deep, heartfelt aspirations. Like a Henry James novella, the film is underlain with ambiguity and uncertainty, empathy and shifting sympathies that will provoke conversation.
It really makes you think about how some kids, when they turn into adults, treat their parents like they don't matter, even though they raised them, but they never consider their parents feelings in old age.....sad, but true, in many cases. Unfortunately while caring for my Dad for 10 years, I witnessed several scenarios just like this movie, the kids (grown into adults) just did not give a shit, and were far too eager to put their parents out to pasture, and then neglect them and/or betray them.

and also another drama of a different kind....

Unstoppable (2010) Drama
Very good movie imo, and also pretty intense as expected for a runaway train/pending disaster. The outcome is quite predictable, but it still kept my attention the entire time. Even though I turned the sound down for most of it, I still felt like I was hearing a train on the tracks long after the movie was done. Denzel Washington, Chris Pine and Rosario Dawson did a great job imo. I also really liked Lew Temple's role as Ned, and I thought his character/role added a lot toward the end of the movie. Chase scenes are always great.
sunnyd

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:47 am

Sometimes a Great Notion - 1970 - drama

Cast: Paul Newman, Henry Fonda, Michael Sarrazin, Lee Remick

written by ken kesey, the author of "one flew over the cuckoo's nest", i think this is a really underappreciated movie. to me, it's a better story than cuckoo's nest. it's about an independent logging family in the 60s who are under pressure from all their neighbors, who are striking union loggers, to shut down to honor their strike. it's a story of conflicts - between the family and the union, man and nature, husband and wife, 2 brothers, and hippies and rednecks.

and i love this film not in the least for causing me to learn the song its title was derived from.

sometimes i live in the country
sometimes i live in the town
sometimes i have a great notion
to jump in the river and drown

irene, goodnight
irene, goodnight
goodnight, irene
goodnight, irene
i'll see you in my dreams

newman and remick are a couple in this movie. if they had been one in real life, their kids would have had the best looking eyes ever, i suspect.
MrFredPFL

Postby bluebird » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:59 am

Hairspray

Well 5 minutes of it and immediately binned it...awful film yuck! :puke:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Douglas Adams

If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun x
bluebird
Shopping Fairy

Postby piglets222 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Skyline

o m g! Go See It! Go See It NOW! yup, i'd watch it again and Yup! i'd recommend it (if you're into sci-fi) some of the acting was alittle weak but the action and graphics was Awesomeness!! im gonna watch it again... heck... i might buy it! :P i hope there is a second *googles* OhHolyHell...!! its dated for 2012 *hums its teh end of teh world*
piglets222

Postby Ratt » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:55 pm

sunnyd wrote:Unstoppable (2010) Drama
Very good movie imo, and also pretty intense as expected for a runaway train/pending disaster. The outcome is quite predictable, but it still kept my attention the entire time. Even though I turned the sound down for most of it, I still felt like I was hearing a train on the tracks long after the movie was done. Denzel Washington, Chris Pine and Rosario Dawson did a great job imo. I also really liked Lew Temple's role as Ned, and I thought his character/role added a lot toward the end of the movie. Chase scenes are always great.

Somebody needs to do a parody of Unstoppable, one that ends with the train colliding headon with another runaway train, one with a half-crazed Jon Voight standing on top it. Big explosion, Voight is just fine.

For me, THE movie about a runaway train will always be, er, "Runaway Train" (from 1985). That movie ends with the train disappearing from view with Voight on top of it, so you never see its inevitable fatal crash. Stunning ending, up there with Thelma and Louise.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:38 pm

Doppelganger - 1993

how can i put this? it takes a very bad movie to not be redeemed by drew barrymore topless. this movie is that bad.
Last edited by MrFredPFL on Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: my doppelganger did it :-b
MrFredPFL

Postby multivariable » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:15 am

that movie's a bit earlier than 2003, i think. :?
multivariable

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:19 am

lol wtf - yes, 10 years. i'd love to call it a typo, but i have no clue what happened there.
MrFredPFL

Postby multivariable » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:50 am

actually, it appears that there was a 2003 doppelganger
multivariable

Postby sunnyd » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:06 am

I thought Will Smith was fantastic in the movie Seven Pounds (2008), but I had never seen
The Pursuit Of Happyness (2006) until tonight. If you haven't seen this movie, it's one well worth watching, but chances are, I am probably the only one here who hasn't seen it before, lol.

Absolutely outstanding movie based on a true story, of the life of Chris Gardner, played by WIll Smith.
It's impossible to watch this movie without actually feeling his determination yourself, as he tries to overcome each obstacle in reaching his goal. His honesty, and his unwillingness to reveal his true circumstances to his coworkers, is just incredible, and his devotion to his son is just heart wrenching.

10/10, and then some, and I also give the movie, Seven Pounds, the same score.

Oh, and one other one. When my son was younger, we watched Toy Story 1 & 2,
so of course I had to see Toy Story 3 (2010), lol, it was really good, they were all good, imo. :)
sunnyd

Postby The higgo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Resident Evil Afterlife 2010.
Spoiler: show

Was so lookin forward to this but was well dissapointed. The ending was rubbish man! It made no sense.

I hope they make another one to redeem themselves.
The higgo

Postby Sfl0w » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:49 am

The Social Network

Thought this was going to a typical cheese ball attempt to make a technical geek type movie by hollywood, but actually it was surprisingly cool - they actually reference the use of "wget" correctly along with a few other perl references.

Justin Timberlake plays a believable Shawn Parker - It was entertaining and not a lamer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285016/

Rating: 4.5/5
I need more CowBell!!
Do it..you know you want to!
Sfl0w

Postby sunnyd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:30 pm

First of all, I am not a huge "Cher" fan, but since the men in my house wanted to watch Burlesque (2010), we watched it last night. I was actually surprised that I liked it as much as I did, it was pretty decent. Christina Aguilera was very good in her role as "Ali", and Cher was also very good as "Tess". It's definitely got sexuality (as one would expect), and it's a basic, simple story, with great singing and dancing, totally burlesque. Both Christina and Cher sounded great with the songs they sang.

My guys liked it enough to say they forgive Christina for messing up the National Anthem at the Super Bowl. :wink:

Edit: Forgot to mention that Cam Gigandet seemed perfect for the role as "Jack".
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:04 pm

Well, since I recently heard a song that I found to be real uplifting and inspirational, I Believe, by Yolanda Adams, I wanted to watch the movie that it was the soundtrack for, so I just recently watched Honey (2003). I enjoy movies with great dance choreography (other than ballet) and this was one of them with great dancing and a good hearted storyline. The music was mostly hip hop, but not quite like most of the rap crap that I do not really care for. Jessica Alba was fantastic in the movie, and the end of the movie was very predictable, but really good.

The movie got lousy reviews , but I'll give it 9/10 just because I liked the storyline, and the dancing. This movie reminded me of the counseling work I did voluntarily at a crisis center several years ago, which involved some troubled kids on the streets, so it's refreshing to see happy endings in these stories/movies.
sunnyd

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:51 pm

Law Abiding Citizen

terrible. while the concept was fine, the execution was utterly lame. this movie has holes in its plot which are so large, you could sail the fifth fleet through them, in side by side formation. i try to overlook a detail here and there which is missed, but this movie is one missed detail after another. several thumbs down. not to mention the "hero" is a jerk from the start.
MrFredPFL

Postby piglets222 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:30 pm

i have two things for this... i thought someone watched 'the kings speech' but i cannot find the post, i have heard good things about it, (tho as its not got aliens and space ships in it, doubtful i will put it on my MUST SEE NAO LIST) a heads up if you are going to watch it there is controversy surrounding it....

story x

while i dont suggest you Not See It, i recommend you know which version you want to see...

We’ve been talking for several weeks now about The Weinstein Company’s disturbing plan to censor the Oscar nominated film The King’s Speech in order to curry favor with the MPAA, receive a PG-13 rating....

That plan became a reality this week when the censored version of the film received the rating they wanted, and the R-rated version will be pulled from theaters and replaced with one that contains none of the curse words which earned the movie an R in the first place.

Here’s an even bigger head scratcher: The Ring, a movie about a murderous dead girl who leaps out of televisions and kills people, was rated PG-13. The MPAA’s rating system recommends The Ring as more appropriate viewing for your children than the R-rated King’s Speech.

@fred, dude, sunny and me watched it and posted about it about two yrs ago and LIKED it :P i still remember i Enjoyed the twist at the ending :P
piglets222

Postby sunnyd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:44 pm

LOL piglets, I also enjoy all the Patrick Swayze movies, but that certainly doesn't mean Fred or others will. :wink: :P And in a slight comparison, I also really liked "Taken", but not sure if others did or not. Law Abiding Citizen did have some loopholes, for example, just when and how did he make this tunnel of surprises, etc.? My husband did not like it as much as I did. I liked the constant activity and suspense, but yes, some was a bit too far fetched. I did think the ending was good though.

Note: Piglets, I posted it in Dec., 2009, that's 14 months, not 2 years, lol. :P I liked Toy Story 3 too, but I bet others won't even watch that one, lol.
sunnyd

Postby piglets222 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:54 pm

i agree about there being some loop holes in the 'law abiding citizen' story acouple things
did they kill the daughter, how? im pretty sure they had the mother on the ground what happened there, but the daughter they just took to a different room after, so you are kinda left wondering...

also did the bad guys KNOW who they were messing with, there was a comment one of them made (i forget it now) but it made it sound like our guy was targetted... on the other hand bad guys dont usually just stroll into a neighborhood and go THAT House, lets GoKill Those (well they do, but... yanno???) and if it was just random why wasnt the government in on taking the bad guys down? their thinktank dude is fwk'd with and they are just sitting on their hands saying we dunno? (you'd think they'd be protecting their thinktank)

i watched taken and again it was a kinda liked/liked thing...

the believablity of two girls being kidnapped From a Residence (NOBODY Seeing) even tho she's on the phone (call 911?) and him tracking her down (cause he's a retired spy and can do that!) *shrugs*

did you see 'edge of darkness?' mel gibson it kinda goes with these themes, family/daughter hurt, dad MustFixIt ^.^

oh lets not get into the whole 2009-2011 just being 14 months different... atleast not entill i have had a fth cup of coffee
piglets222

Postby sunnyd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:20 pm

I am only comparing "suspense" issues, not that the movies were close storylines or anything, because they were not at all.

I did see Edge Of Darkness, here is my post on that viewtopic.php?p=544523#p544523

I like detective/spy movies a lot, which is why I liked "Taken", and I really like suspense with drama, but I don't like sci-fi or horror flicks much. An example of one I would not watch, would be The Crazies (2010).
sunnyd

Postby piglets222 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:27 pm

sunnyd wrote:I would not watch, would be The Crazies (2010).

Oh Heyyyyy! that looks cool! (at first i was like all PITCHFORK... sawripoff or something, and *i* dont do horror) but hey they threw in some 'mysterious toxin' and im all xfiles *need to watch!!* :P
piglets222

Postby sunnyd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 pm

:lol: I hope you enjoy it. :wink:
sunnyd

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge