Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

SlyckTom’s Review of Revenge of the Sith

An area for general chat not related to file-sharing.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby SlyckTom » Fri May 20, 2005 2:16 am

One word: Holy friggin’ crap

Ok, that was three words. But the rest of what I write will just be filler to what was a cinematic experience that I have not witnessed since…well, Star Wars.

Let’s begin. The opening sequence follows two Jedi Star Fighters in a seemingly peaceful environment. They are cruising along side a proto-Star Destroyer. However, the war drums are beating in the background (seriously, war drums!!) The entire theater is shaking. You know something is going to hit you.

Then BAM!

All of a sudden, the two Star Fights head along the Star Destroyer’s y-axis and are thrust into a massive battle above the atmosphere of Coruscant. Their goal is to reach General Grievous’ ship and rescue the “kidnapped” Chancellor Palpatine.

In any case, I am not going through the entire story and plot line, there are tons of resources out there for that.

What separates this movie from Episodes I & II is its connection with the original trilogy. In the beginning of the movie, the look and feel of ROTS is very similar to TPM and AOTC. It even suffers a bit from clunky dialog between Padme and Anakin. But that is to be expected. George Lucas, as we all know, is not a love scene writer. But I can write another entire article on clunky dialog from the original trilogy.

So we start off with an amazing space battle and an awesome light saber battle between Count Dooku and Anakin/Obi Wan. From there, things calm down a bit as the Jedi Council is eager to end the war by capturing General Grevious.

A thing about General Grievous - he’s a total wimp. Throughout his time on screen, he is either running away or coughing up a lung. Obi Wan makes short work of him when he is finally cornered. But it is cool when he ignites his four light sablers

Obi Wan totally steals the show. There’s no doubt Ewan McGreggor has this role down pat. George Lucas may have made a few mistakes in the prequel trilogy, but choosing Ewan was not one of them.

Anakin Skywalker is totally convincing this time around. He’s not the spoiled brat from AOTC, he’s a bad ass with a chip on his shoulder.

Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine is the man. He defeats Yoda in battle, but definitely gets his fair share of a whoopin’. He totally manipulates everyone throughout the movie and gets his way in the end. Palpatine plays on Anakin’s desire for peace, order and safety of Padme to his advantage. Interesting note though…when Anakin’s arm and legs are chopped off, Palpatine rescues him of course. He almost seems fatherly when he goes over to him and places his hand over his forehead. Almost touching in a way.

R2D2 was the comic relief of the movie, at least in the beginning. If R2 had more screen time, it’s likely he may have come close to at least swiping the show. He has some funny moments, and some well placed beeps and boops.

C3PO is an idiot as usual (but in a good way.) His role is limited, and says “Oh, dear” when Bail Organa tells Captain Antillies to wipe his memory. R2 laughs at him when the order is given.

Yoda is terrific. He looks amazing real. He kicks some serious butt in the movie, and adds to the emotionally level when the young padawans are killed and when Padme dies.

The sound track was right on the money. Every note was well placed.

Just some random thoughts…

As I said earlier, there are clunky moments during the first third of the movie. But they are forgivable and really have no bearing on the quality of the movie. Lucas labeled this movie as a tragedy – and it definitely is. It seems so apparent that Anakin is still teetering on the edge between the light and dark side of the force well after he swears his allegiance to Palpatine. You keep thinking he can still be saved, even towards the end when the mask comes on. He is looking up at the Vader mask and appears frightened.

In a more recent post, I stated my expectations were tantamount to the nexus of the universe. I wanted a Star Wars movie, a movie that would get my adrenaline pumping, my emotions soaring and leave me exhausted in the end.

ROTS met and exceeded every expectation I had - a truly phenomenal movie.

4 out of 4 stars. On par with ANH and ESB. Leaves ROTJ in the dust. I will have to rewatch the OT, then rewatch ROTS to really grasp what I just saw.
SlyckTom

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri May 20, 2005 2:34 am

Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine is the man. He defeats Yoda in battle, but definitely gets his fair share of a whoopin

It was a draw; they both went flying after their final blasts, its just that Yoda could not grab onto anything... then ran away as enemy inforcements showed up. :evil:
(note the avatar of the reviewer) :evil: It was a tie.

You really felt it when the jedi when they were being betrayed by their own troops; they were leading the troops into battle and were at the front ready to take the first enemy fire, only to be shot in the back.
Last edited by Psycho Ced on Fri May 20, 2005 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby SlyckTom » Fri May 20, 2005 2:40 am

hehe...You could argue it was a tie, but Yoda admits "failed, I have."

So Palpatine wins by default...

Another thing about the movie...it gets totally BRUTAL at two points. During the Jedi purge, and when Vader kills the separatists. They are begging for their lives and Vader chops them down like cattle.
SlyckTom

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri May 20, 2005 2:46 am

LOL
As writer you should appriciate that something is not true just because someone says it: He says "failed, I have", after the fight but it does not change the outcome.
edit- i think he meant he failed his mission which is true even in a tie

Yeah I agree with the rest; added the part about the jedi betrayal above.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby SlyckTom » Fri May 20, 2005 2:55 am

Yoda's goal "Destroy the Sith, we must." Palpatine sucessfully defends himself from being destroyed. That seems like a win to me!
SlyckTom

Postby ilbozo » Fri May 20, 2005 6:20 am

With my bias towards Yoda I hate to say this but yes Tom your right, he did fail.

I would have to agree with what you have said about the movie, I walked out feeling impressed and amazed!

The film was the perfect merging between the original trilogy and the prequels. The story filled the gaps, while the action left everyone looking for a war, fulfilled.

Great review Tom :D
ilbozo

Postby LxBeast » Fri May 20, 2005 6:25 am

I'm eager to see it!

Although the I've nearly dl'ed the ISO, nothing beats see something such as Star Wars on the big screen, complete with ground shaking effects.
LxBeast

Postby dakiller » Fri May 20, 2005 6:42 am

thx for the review...now i want to see it

man,i'm sick of following my dreams
i'm just gonna ask where they're headed and hook up with em later

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby LxBeast » Fri May 20, 2005 6:45 am

Slyck needs SW smileys to celebrate! :lol:

ImageImage
LxBeast

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri May 20, 2005 6:56 am

SlyckTom wrote:Yoda's goal "Destroy the Sith, we must." Palpatine sucessfully defends himself from being destroyed. That seems like a win to me!

hehe..
But was it also not the Sith's mission to also destroy all the Jedi and including Yoda?

LoL
Reminds me of Obe saying to Anakin something about the Sith and their extremes.

I guess since we have conflicting views of what the purpose of their fight was; we will also have conflicting views on the outcome of the fight.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Re: SlyckTom’s Review of Revenge of the Sith

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri May 20, 2005 8:02 am

SlyckTom wrote:
Yoda is terrific. He looks amazingly real.

You mean he isn't!! :shock:

Great review!! :D
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri May 20, 2005 9:17 am

:twisted: One more thing, Obe did not kill AnaKin and therefore did not "Destroy the Sith". Does that mean Anakin won?
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Everlast » Fri May 20, 2005 10:39 am

Ummm, WARNING SPOILERS.

:roll:

... :P
Ares Galaxy forum maintainer/columnist.

Sure, there have been injuries and deaths in boxing, but none have been serious.
- Boxer Alan Minter
Everlast

Postby notbob » Fri May 20, 2005 11:27 am

Everlast wrote:Ummm, WARNING SPOILERS.

:roll:

... :P

nah

my kid's talking yoda toy told me the whole thing weeks ago

which in itself seems odd--lucas cracked down on websites with spoilers and tried to keep secrets, yet a toy he licensed blabbed the entire plotline on april 2nd
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby SlyckTom » Fri May 20, 2005 1:24 pm

my kid's talking yoda toy told me the whole thing weeks ago

hmmm....Lucas conspiracy here???

"Talking Yoda Toy Secretly Conceals 1337 Wi-Fi Distro Hub"
SlyckTom

Postby ilbozo » Fri May 20, 2005 1:35 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ilbozo

Postby SlyckChuck » Sat May 21, 2005 2:12 am

From being a young boy when I saw episode 4, this final installment is met with eager anticipation. Forgive me when I draw a comparison to Star Trek 1st Contact, the most incredible moment was when the finale was met by when the alien race who discovers the humans achieved warp capability was the Vulcans. It provides symmetry. To tie in the past with the most present story. This is what I look forward to with ROTS. To tie in the story between the original installments with the newer releases. On one hand it brings great excitement and sadness. This will complete the whole story. To imagine it took nearly 30 years to complete the anthology is amazing. The only other note of opinion would be to attempt a 7th episode in which to see Luke Skywalker unify the Republic and restore it to the 1st episode status. That would complete the circle and close any loopholes IMHO.

Good review Tom and on a side note letting all know my private questions, the answers I received proves to be despite the nay sayers this episode lives up to all the hype!! I look forward to seeing it! 8)
The 80's Still Rule
SlyckChuck

Postby Everlast » Sat May 21, 2005 2:33 am

Or maybe re-do ep4, 5 and 6 :)

Give them a more modern look.

even a sw3.5 ? lol
Ares Galaxy forum maintainer/columnist.

Sure, there have been injuries and deaths in boxing, but none have been serious.
- Boxer Alan Minter
Everlast

Postby JunqueMan » Sat May 21, 2005 5:50 am

Everlast wrote:Or maybe re-do ep4, 5 and 6 :)

They did already a few years back...only so much you can do with 30 yr old films... :(

Though remaking them completely is an interesting (but expensive) thought... :wink:

Junque Man
"Pass me another cold Pawtucket Patriot..."
JunqueMan

Postby _eAgLe_ » Sat May 21, 2005 7:41 am

Everlast wrote:Or maybe re-do ep4, 5 and 6 :)

They did already a few years back...only so much you can do with 30 yr old films... Sad

Though remaking them completely is an interesting (but expensive) thought... Wink

Junque Man

Well, IMO, they were already good enough :D, i think that eps 4-6 are WAY better than the new ones...

IMHO :P Episodes 1 and 2 wre CRAP... episode 3 was a good comeback though, but i still think ill stick with the old ones 8) :mrgreen:

What do you guys think?
_eAgLe_

Postby SlyckTom » Sat May 21, 2005 8:28 pm

I think Episode III makes Return of the Jedi look like chump change.
SlyckTom

Postby Psycho Ced » Sat May 21, 2005 8:31 pm

yeah, going to watch it again with my friends. 8)
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby dakiller » Sat May 21, 2005 10:41 pm

have to say never been a huge SW fan
of course i saw the first film and was in awe as a youngster.

but I really enjoyed this one on it's own merits,
a very nice example of a fable/morality play.
Great storytelling ...if supported by rather weak acting.

plus it explained pretty much every niggling question i had in regards to the saga
:D

just my 2 cents
man,i'm sick of following my dreams
i'm just gonna ask where they're headed and hook up with em later

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby thejynxed » Sun May 22, 2005 10:19 am

Simply put, this was the best Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back. I am planning to own it on dvd, namely in the nice and expensive collector's editions... Can't wait!!!
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby countrypirate » Sun May 22, 2005 11:10 am

Some of my friends and family are planning on watching all six back to back next weekend. It's going to be a Star Wars party wish you could all be here. :D
countrypirate

Next

Return to Lounge