Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Superseded Forum Rules

An area for general chat not related to file-sharing.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:03 pm

Since i didnt use the invite thread im ok with it gone. It was mainly just full of forum newbs and people spamming the same requests every day for weeks on end.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:42 pm

i am breaking one of the rules :P

i am bumping this thread for 3 reasons.

1. some rules have been amended or tweaked.

2. some rules have been added.

3. some rules which have existed from the beginning are being ignored.

in the case of the third example, i particularly notice that rule 3 is frequently either discounted, or ignored entirely. i will go on record here as stating that i will continue to try to enforce this and the other rules as fairly as possible. we feel these rules are in place for the purpose of making slyck the best possible forum for our users. the rules are not here to spite some particular user or users. in the case of the no politics rule, i can say without hesitation that i have removed far more political comments that i agree with than those that i disagree with.

please respect the rules of this forum. thanks.
MrFredPFL

Postby Nutty-Slack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:05 pm

Okay...
Without trying to be clever, could you give some clarification of exactly what this rule covers.
Be as specific as you like. :wink:

What rule #3 actually states is "No political threads", which to me would imply a topic (thread) being created for the sole purpose of discussing a political subject.
Rather than just the occasional mention of politics within individual posts which is bound to occur from time to time.
How I suspect you're interpreting this rule is a flat: No politics whatsoever. Ever!
If that's the case, then why not make the rule: No politics whatsoever. Ever?

Also what is 'politics'?

Like I say, i'm not trying to catch anyone out.
But some clarification would benefit everyone who posts here.
Last edited by Nutty-Slack on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quibus Societas Nobis Intemporaliter
Nutty-Slack

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:19 pm

sigh - this is exactly the problem. you have that opinion of that person because of his political decisions, and you choose to express it anyway, regardless of the fact that this is not a thread about him, or any choice he has made regarding filesharing. it is offtopic and gratuitous. i will add the word "posts" to the rule if you think it will help - but it won't stop anyone doing what you just did, because as you said, you didn't think it was political. i think it was totally political, unless you can convince me that you know him personally, and you feel that way because of your personal interaction with him - in which case it is still totally offtopic. please try to respect the spirit of the rule, regardless of any strict literal interpretation of the wording that you may perceive. to me, that's deliberate hairsplitting. i think you know what the author meant when writing that rule. as for never ever, the rule already clearly states the circumstances in which it's acceptable.
MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:24 pm

ok, i added the word "comments". i did not add the word "posts" because i could easily see someone using the same reasoning as above to argue "it wasn't a political post, it was a comment in an otherwise non-political post." :roll:
MrFredPFL

Postby Nutty-Slack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:53 pm

Well, it's unfortunate that you think i'm being deliberately provocative here.
What can I say. :roll:

Nutty-Slack

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:07 pm

i apologize for the tone. i appreciate the removal of... what you removed :)
MrFredPFL

Postby Nutty-Slack » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:15 pm

Thanks.
It was a pretty stupid and puerile example of what I was trying to get at.
Anyway, I think i'm (slightly) the wiser, and I suspect that the addition of "or comments" will help others.
8)

Nutty-Slack

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:02 am

Nutty-Slack wrote:What rule #3 actually states is "No political threads", which to me would imply a topic (thread) being created for the sole purpose of discussing a political subject.
(...)

Also what is 'politics'?

I know I've been away for far too long, and things evolve and change and I should just shut up and watch before intervening. But I fear that by the time I'm fully back in the loop and can make that intervention, I will be breaking the "thread bumping" rule by reviving a discussion that will already be old.... so just take this as a "revival" opinion, trying to get back to the original spirit of the rule.

"what is politics?" is a good question... I, for one, tend to think almost eveyrthing is politics, as it has to do with how we envision our communities. In particular, the p2p and Intellectual Property debate is a highly political debate, which gets into issues such as the right to information, the right to access culture, participation in the community we are part of (which is difficult wihtout accessing its cultural products), privacy... yup, highly political! In this sense, almost all interesting threads on slyck (except for those dealing with tech difficulties and specific websites) are political threads. But this is a news site, political threads are bound to abound (forgive the repetition).

in this case, though, "political" is understood in a much more restricted sense, as in partisan politics and inter-governmental relations. In particular, it refers to "gratuitous" comments on partisan and inter-governmental politics, which add nothing to the file-sharing debate, do not contribute to enriching the thread in which the post was made, and/or do not make slyck a "smarter" site to read.

...all this with special intolerance towards unargumented slogans bitching or glorifying political stances which insult the poster's intelligence rather than show off his/her understanding of current affairs and major issues at stake.

there was a time when political discussions took place on slyck. And I remember the day in which we decided that people should just be sensible, and go back to "shar[ing] something intelligent". That's when the rule went up.

Things have probably evolved since then, and the rule may have become stricter, but I haven't seen the spirit change: just keep discussions on slyck intelligent, argumented, and content-full, rather than slogan-driven. ;)
Last edited by Mrs. 2p on Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby IceCube » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:49 am

applaudes 2p's post
IceCube

Postby enigmax » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:30 am

Seems simple to me. No discussions unrelated to file-sharing that are likely to divide the community.

Rule of thumb: It's ok to split the community with file-sharing issues but not with a discussion about anything else.

Do I get a badge?
enigmax

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:41 am

/me hugs mrs. 2p (without the tom mask ;) )

and enigmax: yes, thank you. well said. the cheque is in the mail :)

seriously - i don't think the issue should be so complex. we try to be fairly liberal (pardon my choice of words ;) ) about what is ontopic and what is offtopic. we ask that people specifically avoid going offtopic in a political vein. and please don't argue that everything is political. it may be to you, but it isn't to everyone, and if you're convinced that you know the truth and they don't, please don't use slyck as your place to convert them to your own particular brand of wisdom. i for one happen to believe that not all people have ulterior political motives for everything they do, and as a wise man once said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. as stated in the original rule, there are countless other places for political debate.
MrFredPFL

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:07 pm

/fetches princess leia braids
/hugs back

:lol:
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Re: Forum Rules

Postby agarath » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:16 pm

Well I some how think they at demonoid have deleted all the Canadian account as I can't log in via proxy no how....
agarath

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:20 pm

ummm - and what exactly does that have to do with the forum rules?
MrFredPFL

Postby edokun » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:10 pm

Great, i'll follow the rules.

greetings from Peru.
edokun

Re:so is this why you prevent me form helping my countrymen

Postby chronoss2008 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:08 am

imade post that i wanted to add a link to , phone mubers and emails of members of parliament and you prevented me from editing my post.
thanks this site is now dead to me.
chronoss2008

Postby countrypirate » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:33 am

What the hell :popcorn:
countrypirate

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:37 am

ROFL @ irony ..... spammer hitting the Forum Rules thread :lookup:
"I'd hate to be a teetotaler. Imagine getting up in the morning and knowing that's as good as you're going to feel all day"
- Dean Martin
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby countrypirate » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:13 pm

Spammer who me

countrypirate

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:54 pm

How's that avatar contest going CP ;) ?
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Fartingbob » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:16 am

I think its going bloody well.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:30 am

i think we need a new rule about drive-by cricket messages. this is when someone sends you a bizarre message, out of the blue, about cricket, and then disappears, rather than answer you when you say wtf.

tom, what do you think? :P
MrFredPFL

Postby multivariable » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:38 am

Nothing wrong with a drive-by cricket message. Or any cricket message, for that matter. :wink:
multivariable

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:41 am

My hero!!!! :D
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge