Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

Superseded Forum Rules

An area for general chat not related to file-sharing.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:58 am

VIDIOT wrote:I wonder what rule I busted this time?





VIDIOT's thread title wrote:Can I use a 32 GB or 64 GB SD card to go around DRM?


VIDIOT wrote:All it really means is you won't be able to burn a disc and just hand it to a friend


I'm sorry but your thread was a blatant discussion about circumventing copyright protection and a disregard for copyright law. The forum rules are here if you are unclear about them. If you had chosen the subject heading a little more carefully and your reasons for wanting to copy these movies were for backup purposes rather than to hand out copies to all your friends, then perhaps it could've stayed ...
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
User avatar
HouseCrowd
 
Posts: 33862
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:18 am
Location: UK

Postby VIDIOT » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:20 pm

I kind of see your point.

However:

Aplicability seems to be towards NON user created content;i.e. material that is copyrighted.

In my case:

I buy the MIDI keyboard, I make the song.

Its my song.

I buy the digital camera; I make and register the movie script via W.G.A., I pay the actors and film crew.

Its my movie in HD quality.

The problem is that if I decide to make available my movies and or music then DRM measures insert a three play/three day clause that limits my rights of free speeach and free expresion.

My point being DRM does not protect the artists/original content creators rights; it protects the Corporations with a vested interest in controlling the multimedia distribution channels to the detriment of independent content creators.

Thats why my interest in SD card formats.

And I promise to read and re-read the forum rules before any more postings.

Sorry :oops:
VIDIOT
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:28 pm

Postby MattMerch » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:03 am

nice to see censorship has arrived at slyck

thanks for changing my signature what next changing my posts :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Signature censored by slyck
User avatar
MattMerch
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:00 am

Postby SlyckScratch » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:22 am

I don't know who changed your sig but I do know that you are now the 3rd person to be warned about using your sig to stir up trouble against a particular user. They have all been warned (including the 'victim' :roll: )and now so have you. We just want this site to run smoothly - please don't make our job even more difficult than it is. Thanks MattMerch
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
User avatar
SlyckScratch
 
Posts: 8412
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:31 am
Location: D>E>X

Postby MattMerch » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:04 am

lol pretty funny the way this site is going now says it all really guess its time to look for a new site seems this place is going the same way as zeropaid you can say what you like but it will be censored to fit certain ppls ideas
shame i am not in the clique that runs slyck

ilike the way they are not subject to the same rules the rest of us are
things like truth get in the way

thanks for a few fun years but time to move on cya

have fun editing my posts as well make sure everything fits the rules of the club that run things here now
Signature censored by slyck
User avatar
MattMerch
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:00 am

Postby SlyckScratch » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:21 am

All rules apply to EVERYONE that uses this forum - users, moderators and administrators alike.

The overwhelming majority come here to discuss file-sharing issues, have fun and socialise but on occasion people make the mistake of thinking that Slyck is somewhere to antagonise other members and cause/perpetuate conflict. This is unacceptable behaviour - it conflicts with the aim of having a smooth running site for all to enjoy, unhindered by unpleasantness. But of course, as Lord of your own mouse finger you are free to use another forum if you feel that the rules here restrict the way you prefer to conduct yourself.

I think you'll find that most people prefer to avoid conflict and the team here will continue to support that. In turn I hope you will reconsider your decision to leave over a comparatively minor issue.
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
User avatar
SlyckScratch
 
Posts: 8412
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:31 am
Location: D>E>X

Postby 216.133.204.228 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:08 am

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THIS POST I AM TRYING TO HELP SORT THINGS OUT
If you must lock it please give a reason to lock it for all to see

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28555

dakiller is pissed that his post being deleted but all he asks is WHY it was deleted
carcassfan has his posts deleted too and me and mels miley and more but no explanation either until a complaint is made :S

THIS IS THE COMMON THEME!! ITS NOT A COMPLAINT WITH THE RULES OR MODERATION!!

PEOPLE NEVER BOTHER TO SAY WHY TREADS ARE REMOVED OR DELETED THIS IS THE PROBLEM

Everytime a tread is removed or deleted more spring up to ask WHY they were removed or deleted. Even unbiased opinion has dakillers tread locked without a reason even with hemis intelligent post. thats insulting to hemi when its an adult conversation that could go somewhere to helping to solve the problm. ffsake slyck cant you see that this is a problem for your users and therefor a problem for you? hemi should know too it looks like he started here when the forum started so he has great experence and his opinion should be worth 10 of everyone elses. i have been reading for 3 or more years so i think i understand to a certain extend

unbiased opinion wrote:dakiller, there's this thing called Private Message, PM for short and I STRONGLY suggest you use it.


how does that help the other thousands of people who are looking at the same tread thinking "why the fuck was that tread locked? i had a pm off housecrowd and he was very nice about a disappering tread but this rules and regulaitions should be in the tread for all to see so they dont do it again! also WHO TO PM? no one knows who deleted these treads and no one admits it ever :shock: :lol:

about thye news submision thing. i have submitted storys that were rejected and then i see other users with the same storys the next day. also there have been storys i submitted but my nickname was removed and the story was posted as anonymous so i got no credit. my solution for this is to send no more stories because there is no point in making all the effort :roll:

there wqere 0 regged users online this morning and just 77 guests the last thing slyck needs is for less people to come because they are pissed about stuff. shall we discuss to solve the problem or does the forum rules tread disappear now? ;)
216.133.204.228
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Port 21

Postby LaX » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:19 am

woo I love to help
216.133.204.228 wrote:about thye news submision thing. i have submitted storys that were rejected and then i see other users with the same storys the next day. also there have been storys i submitted but my nickname was removed and the story was posted as anonymous so i got no credit. my solution for this is to send no more stories because there is no point in making all the effort :roll:

First of all, anonymous submittors are guests. This happens when a guest submits news, so per chance you forgot to login. AFAIK, mods or admins can't change the username of the posters for a single post, and a news submittion is just another thread.

As for the first part, some mods reject some stories, while other mods approve it. So maybe when you submitted it, some smart guy (like fred) rejected it.
User avatar
LaX
 
Posts: 6551
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:02 am
Location: One of the multiverses you're not in

Postby 216.133.204.228 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:26 am

LaX wrote:First of all, anonymous submittors are guests. This happens when a guest submits news, so per chance you forgot to login.

I typed my nickname in when I saw an empty box where it said username: anonymous. it was definitly there
LaX wrote:As for the first part, some mods reject some stories, while other mods approve it. So maybe when you submitted it, some smart guy (like fred) rejected it.

seems all too complex to bother with in future. a fileshareing story is a fileshareing story. it was nt abscure it was a proper story. whatever. news storiues arent my important point im a big boy its a minor iritation that wont effect me again, my point is about the tread deleting but thanks anyway lax
216.133.204.228
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Port 21

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:30 am

i'm sorry, maybe i wasn't clear enough. it was i that removed the streaming tv threads because of concerns about identification of specific copyrighted content. after discussion amongst the staff, it was i that edited them and returned them. i understand the frustration caused, although i feel that the reactions ranged from reasonable to petty and malicious.

it was i that removed a post made by carcassfan, and a post replying to it today. i did so because i felt it was leading to a situation where people were going to start a religion debate or flame war. i edited a comment from one of carcassfan's posts a while back, because it contained an offensive name for a specific group of people. he made another post and repeated the remark in it, knowing full well it was removed, and why (he's not an idiot.) actions like that make me ask myself why i should bother to show any consideration at all.

i don't know what dakiller is referring to, nor do i know why certain other threads of popular recent debate were deleted. i can only speak for myself. wait no, i'll make an exception to that. artie's tattoo thread was removed because it had turned into a childish flame war. i thought that one was obvious, but there it is anyway.

as for news submissions: i think it's probably a safe bet that i approve/disapprove more of them lately than anyone else. again, speaking for myself, i will make a few comments:

i delete submissions for a variety of reasons, altho in total the posts involved are very few. the vast majority of submissions that are deleted are deleted because they are dupes. i NEVER have removed a poster's name and replaced it with anonymous, or anything else. there are occassional bugs in the submission system. for example, there are now 9 stories that got submitted that are in never never land, owing to the fact that the routine that allows us to switch them from file-sharing to tech, or vice-versa, has a bug which occassionally makes things go bye bye. it is always possible that a story is rejected by one moderator and then resubmitted by someone else later, and approved by a different mod. shit happens.

i hope this answers some of your concerns.

edit: thanks lax, right on target.
Last edited by MrFredPFL on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
MrFredPFL
 
Posts: 15656
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:48 pm

Postby 216.133.204.228 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:05 am

fred wrote:i don't know what dakiller is referring to, nor do i know why other threads are deleted.

thats my point. youd probably admit that it would be HELPFUL FOR YOU AS A MODERETAR to know why something has been done ON YOUR SITE so you can have a discussion about it when a question gets asked. I thought people who run a site talk about this in your secret forums???????? if you dont know there is no chance for anyone else to know in a billion years. so because of this you will get thousands of treads asking why treads and posts have been deleted and you will never know and the users will never know.


thanks fred.you and house crowd get all the shit im sorry :(
216.133.204.228
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Port 21

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:18 am

no need to be sorry. :)
User avatar
MrFredPFL
 
Posts: 15656
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:48 pm

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:57 pm

216.133.204.228 wrote:Even unbiased opinion has dakillers tread locked without a reason even with hemis intelligent post.


OMG! Does it really need to be spelled out for you? Have you seen dakiller recently? That thread was going nowhere real fast. Simple as that.

216.133.204.228 wrote:how does that help the other thousands of people who are looking at the same tread thinking "why the fuck was that tread locked?


And that's why we should just black-hole EVERYTHING and not even worry about locking anything. Most of the time, anyone with half of a brain can figured out WHY a thread was locked. If posters and guests can't figure it out, am I entitled to tell each and everyone of you? no

P.S. - I'm really not an ass :P
User avatar
Unbiased_Opinion
 
Posts: 5469
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:33 am
Location: US

Postby 216.133.204.228 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:21 pm

Unbiased_Opinion wrote:If posters and guests can't figure it out, am I entitled to tell each and everyone of you? no

it would take 10 seconds

THREAD LOCKED BECAUSE OF XXXXXREASONXXXXXX

thats it :S

Unbiased_Opinion wrote:P.S. - I'm really not an ass :P

but you are stubborn as one

@@@@@@thread locked for flaming@@@@@@ :LOL:
Last edited by 216.133.204.228 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
216.133.204.228
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Port 21

Postby carcassfan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:40 pm

I have to agree...if its mindless spam or flaming or something thats obvious it shouldnt need an explanantion. However, if it is unlear (such as the posts i had deleted yesterday for who knows what) a simple sentence stating why it was deemed inappropriate shouldnt be too much to ask. That way others can see why the post was deleted and hopefully not make the same mistake.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
Tekk wrote:most of the things being pirated are obscure mexican bands
User avatar
carcassfan
 
Posts: 3921
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:52 pm
Location: in your snatch

Postby Aaron.Walkhouse » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:57 am

Wasn't it just last May when I gave you this same lecture? :roll:

Check your PMs for it, and reread my thorough
explanation why transparency is so important to
moderating a busy community such as this one. :wink:
User avatar
Aaron.Walkhouse
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 8:02 am
Location: My igloos melt in June

Postby multivariable » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:01 pm

Aaron.Walkhouse wrote:Wasn't it just last May when I gave you this same lecture? :roll:

Yet another self-important tool.

You get black-holed, you more than likely deserved it. Get over it. Move on.
User avatar
multivariable
 
Posts: 27959
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:28 am

Postby Aaron.Walkhouse » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:49 pm

Ad-hominem attacks are not what is called for here.

Please be nice, because you have just admitted you do
not know what I have just referred to.

If you cannot handle the mildest of criticism towards
this forum without leaping to conclusions and spraying
insults you are not helping the moderating team in the
least.
User avatar
Aaron.Walkhouse
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 8:02 am
Location: My igloos melt in June

Postby multivariable » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:45 pm

Aaron.Walkhouse wrote:Ad-hominem attacks are not what is called for here.

Please be nice, because you have just admitted you do not know what I have just referred to.

Earlier, Aaron.Walkhouse wrote:Check your PMs for it, and reread my thorough explanation why transparency is so important to moderating a busy community such as this one.

With respect Aaron, perhaps your advice was sound, perhaps not. I can't say.

Nor could 99% of the Slyck correspondents that you didn't address in your supposedly enlightening PM. If your rebuke was aimed at one person in particular, common courtesy would suggest that you deliver your message in a PM to that individual, rather than coming across all superior and haughty to people who have no idea to what you were referring in your original message.
User avatar
multivariable
 
Posts: 27959
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:28 am

Postby Lemmy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:21 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:i'm sorry, maybe i wasn't clear enough. it was i that removed the streaming tv threads because of concerns about identification of specific copyrighted content. after discussion amongst the staff, it was i that edited them and returned them. i understand the frustration caused, although i feel that the reactions ranged from reasonable to petty and malicious.

it was i that removed a post made by carcassfan, and a post replying to it today. i did so because i felt it was leading to a situation where people were going to start a religion debate or flame war. i edited a comment from one of carcassfan's posts a while back, because it contained an offensive name for a specific group of people. he made another post and repeated the remark in it, knowing full well it was removed, and why (he's not an idiot.) actions like that make me ask myself why i should bother to show any consideration at all.

i don't know what dakiller is referring to, nor do i know why certain other threads of popular recent debate were deleted. i can only speak for myself. wait no, i'll make an exception to that. artie's tattoo thread was removed because it had turned into a childish flame war. i thought that one was obvious, but there it is anyway.

as for news submissions: i think it's probably a safe bet that i approve/disapprove more of them lately than anyone else. again, speaking for myself, i will make a few comments:

i delete submissions for a variety of reasons, altho in total the posts involved are very few. the vast majority of submissions that are deleted are deleted because they are dupes. i NEVER have removed a poster's name and replaced it with anonymous, or anything else. there are occassional bugs in the submission system. for example, there are now 9 stories that got submitted that are in never never land, owing to the fact that the routine that allows us to switch them from file-sharing to tech, or vice-versa, has a bug which occassionally makes things go bye bye. it is always possible that a story is rejected by one moderator and then resubmitted by someone else later, and approved by a different mod. shit happens.

i hope this answers some of your concerns.

edit: thanks lax, right on target.
/ Goose-steps off. j/k lol

Aaron.Walkhouse wrote:Ad-hominem attacks are not what is called for here.

Please be nice, because you have just admitted you do
not know what I have just referred to.

If you cannot handle the mildest of criticism towards
this forum without leaping to conclusions and spraying
insults you are not helping the moderating team in the
least.

And from what rock did you crawl out from under?
Terror, Blood, Guts and Gore
User avatar
Lemmy
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:28 pm
Location: Wallowing in my own confused and insecure delusions

Postby 216.133.204.228 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:14 am

Aaron.Walkhouse is superior to us all. look at his great command of the english language. we bow before you Great One. now please go away and moderate your own forums. they need you
making $$$$$ with every post thanks to some crazy slyck magic
Days dry: (0) :(
216.133.204.228
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Port 21

Postby Aaron.Walkhouse » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:41 am

Please, gents, I'm being as respectful as one can be,
as I was addressing the entire moderating team of Slyck
both then and now, not you fellows. No offense is intended.

All we are saying is that in some cases a line or two
of feedback from the mods goes a long way towards
keeping the peace. I have modded places much more
raucous than this one, and showing that you are not
being arbitrary or angry makes a huge difference in the
overall atmosphere. You simply get more respect and
better compliance in the long run, while at the same
time keeping the place relatively stress-free.

Basically, the Axe cuts cleanly when you smile. :wink:
User avatar
Aaron.Walkhouse
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 8:02 am
Location: My igloos melt in June

Postby 216.133.204.228 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:44 pm

:) apology accepted :)
making $$$$$ with every post thanks to some crazy slyck magic
Days dry: (0) :(
216.133.204.228
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Port 21

Postby WarezNewz » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:11 am

I applaud rule #16 8)
WarezNewz
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:10 am

Postby multivariable » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:02 am

I second that. It was rather lowering the tone of the place, eh what?
User avatar
multivariable
 
Posts: 27959
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:28 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

© 2001-2008 Slyck.com