Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Hostel (2005): Any Thoughts?

An area for general chat not related to file-sharing.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Hostel (2005): Any Thoughts?

Postby Elevators » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:21 am

Well, looking at the plugs I was admitedly intrigued. I sill had/have that instinct to question big budget movies, but I'm hardly in the position to cast dispersions on all new movies. So I looked into it a little.

The Director

Eli Roth is the director and writter of this movie, though he is said to have come up with the idea alongside Quinten Terrentino. He is an animator of somesort, as well as an actor a writter and a director (prior to this movie that is).

His previous history however is somewhat spotty. He wrote and directed some animated TV Show called "Chowdaheads", I never saw it myself but I suppose it sounds interesting enough. He also was responisble for the less than life changing tradgedy that was "Cabin Fever". Though this movie was bad, it appears to be his first, so I'll grant hom some leniency.

His IMDB Mini-Biography: Here

Info on "Hostel"

Firstly, I found this trivia from IMDB to be somewhat easing of my worries toward this movie.

IMDB wrote:The trailers bill the movie as "inspired by true events." Director Eli Roth says that he found a Thai website that advertised itself as a "murder vacation," offering users the chance to torture and kill someone for the price of $10,000. Roth later showed the site to Quentin Tarantino and the two developed the idea for the film. Tarantino and Roth said later on an Icelandic talk show that they have no idea if the website was real or not.

It would seem that he is on a freindly basis with QT, not only that but that QT had some creative influence over this film. I have great faith in QT.

My worries were further eased by this guys review:

PGuardiola wrote:After the mediocrity that was Cabin Fever, I had little expectation for Eli Roth's new horror flick, Hostel. However, after watching the North American preview at the Toronto Film Festival, I was pleasantly surprised. I went to the midnight showing and when the movie was finished I've got to say, I was a little anxious going home.

The movie dispenses with much of the clever, self-congratulatory repartee made so popular in horror films since Scream and its imitators. It opts instead for the old fashioned horror staples of nudity, terror, blood and tension. It was original, well filmed and well acted by a stable of Eastern European unknowns. Since we didn't see the final cut, I am anxious about how it will show in theaters. I hope that Hostel keeps its edge. If so, it will emerge as a modern-day horror classic.

I hope then that they kept the edge as well.

Conclusion

The previews lead me to beleive that there is a large amount of mind bending torture. I can only hope it gratuitouse and graphic. The reviews say it relies on nudity and blood, I can only hope again that it is gratuitous and graphic.

There are some promissing points and there are some potentially troubleing factors as well. My optomistic side and grumpy old fart side are doing battle. Any one have any thoughts?

IMDB Entry: Here
Elevators
Elevators

Postby zim » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:27 am

If violent video games makes kids kill each other...

Then the next time a psycho kills a bunch of people i'd like to see the producers of this tossed in jail...

Really this isnt horror anymore. its just the product of a highly disturbed mind and we should lock him up.
zim

Postby LANjackal » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:35 am

Quentin Tarantino is one sick fuck. It's not that his films are violent - lots of others are and I don't really mind violence in media in and of itself. My bone with QT is his obsession with pain. The guy's a masochist - every scene is written and shot to be as painful as possible.

QT is obviously familiar with the military principle that people fear mutilation more than they fear death - the loss of body parts seems to be a constant theme in everything he shoots. In Sin City, Kevin forces the parole officer chick to watch as he eats her hand that he just cut off and sucks the flesh off the bones. In Resovoir Dogs, QT deliberately makes us watch as sicko Vincent Vega cuts the ear off a hostage cop just for shits and giggles. In one of the final scenes of Kill Bill Vol. 2, a woman is made to wander around a filthy bathroom covered with broken glass with both eyes missing - one just freshly plucked out, the other removed by the same method years earlier. There are further examples.

Hostel is likely to be the extreme manifestation of this characterstic of his films. Considering I almost threw up several times during Sin City (this from someone who is normally jaded to decapitations and the like), I'll probably sit this one out.

I have a strong feeling that the world is pretty lucky QT became a director. Otherwise he'd be a sophisticated serial criminal known for mutilating or torturing his victims and leaving them alive in a condition worse than death.

Gratuitous violence I can deal with. Wanton pain is disgusting. But that's just me.

@ zim: Exactly. I'm really not entertained by most of his shit at all.
Last edited by LANjackal on Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby zim » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:37 am

So ya up for kidnapping him and cutting him up?

We'll call it art. get away clean.

:lol:
zim

Postby LANjackal » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:43 am

Nope. There are too many crazy people who take jokes on forums seriously and actually execute them and too many prosecutors and judges who do the same and punish innocent posters.
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby LaX » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:46 am

zim you dick. I was drinking sprite while I read your post and now my table and monitor is covered with sticky sprite :evil: :evil:

Last edited by LaX on Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaX

Postby LANjackal » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:08 am

LaX wrote:zim you dick. I was drinking sprite while I read your post and now my table and monitor is all sticky and screwed up :evil: :evil:

Read your post. Your table and monitor is covered in whitish stuff. Looks like you're the dick ;). LOL.
LANjackal

Postby LaX » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:10 am

LANjackal wrote:
LaX wrote:zim you dick. I was drinking sprite while I read your post and now my table and monitor is all sticky and screwed up :evil: :evil:

Read your post. Your table and monitor is covered in whitish stuff. Looks like you're the dick ;). LOL.

Did I really say that? Or were you messing with my post in your quote :wink:

Btw, is there an option to hide the line showing you edited your post? :roll:
LaX

Postby zim » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:40 am

Thats what you get for drinking sprite... bleh... :lol:

Nope. it adds the edit line if its not the last post. and for last post you get the option of adding it. or thats the way it is in some of the forum areas here. not this one it looks like tho.

I'm only half serious... being a smoker theres no way i'd ever goto the effort of actually kidnapping that nutjob.. way too lazy.. lol

Its just nice to imagine some fitting ironic punishment for someone bringing the world such garbage that has zero redeeming qualities. :)
zim

Postby Elevators » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:11 pm

I must say I'm disapointed in the response I got from this question. You guys all sound like a bunch of crotchety lunatics. Lighten up guys!

Pain, fear, anxiousnous, they're all valid feelings. Being able to reproduce them effectvely is just as much an art as makinging people cry at sappy date movies.

Remember: Censorship is bad.

zim wrote:i'd like to see the producers of this tossed in jail...

Starting to sound a little fanatical there, hangen out with Pat Robertson too much?
Elevators
Elevators

Re: Hostel (2005): Any Thoughts?

Postby Killmewithlust » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:15 am

Nice movie!!!!! One of my favorite.
Killmewithlust

Return to Lounge