Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

FrootVPN Concerns/Questions

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

FrootVPN Concerns/Questions

Postby ejonesss » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:26 pm

you have heard of frootvpn? it is another swedish vpn but it gave service for free.

now i see when i connect to frootvpn i get rdns.gigabell.es showing up as a webdav hard drive on the mac

i guess it is webdav because it i think that is the standard for apple's cloud drive a.k.a iclud to today's osx and was known as idisk previously.

what scares me is the fact that a vpn would mount a drive share point on the desktop


if someone from frootvpn reads these boards and sees this message please set the truth straight if it is just a mis configured server that is causing that and not some spy thing.


no webdav/icloud/idisk drives show under ipredator so i am suspicious
Last edited by sunnyd on Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic title changed since there has been no evidence that the site is unsafe.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby sunnyd » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:24 pm

ejonesss wrote:if someone from frootvpn reads these boards and sees this message please set the truth straight if it is just a mis configured server that is causing that and not some spy thing.


ejonesss, this is highly unlikely, and if someone was running the service to spy, do you seriously think they would tell you?

It doesn't look like you did any research before you did this post, so you may be alerting others for absolutely no reason at all. In just two minutes of looking I found a lot of information available online related to FrootVPN. rdns.gigabell.es is in Sweden also. You'd be better off using a topic title of "Questions about FrootVPN" rather than what you did use as "beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now," since you don't know if it is or not, and if you did any research, you didn't bother to share what you found out. Also, they charge $4 per month per their website for the better service, and the free one has limitations.

Do your research on who started FrootVPN, look up the changes they have been through and why they are now charging for the service. There is a lot of information online if you at least try to find it. :wink: :idea:

They DO have a contact email form in their FAQ that you can try or use their email address...

support@frootvpn.com

https://www.frootvpn.com/faq
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd
 
Posts: 30027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby ejonesss » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:45 pm

i tried contacting them and no response and what are the limitations on the free account?

i became suspicious because of the "rdns.gigabell.es" showing up on the desktop as like an idisk.

if someone could get ahold of them and can find out.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby sunnyd » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:05 am

ejonesss, do you have an update on this? It's been four days. Have you heard back from them, are you still using the service, has all been resolved? We don't like to keep people hanging regarding information about a specific service that someone is claiming may be unsafe.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd
 
Posts: 30027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby ejonesss » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:01 am

no updates because i gave up trying to connect.

also i was suspecting it was unsafe because being free just doesnt look right.

i have heard SOMEWHERE that free sites are honeypots and my hope is that the operators of the service would see this post and come on to defend and re assure us that it is safe (like tpb did over the cloudflare thing)
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:07 am

ejonesss wrote:i have heard SOMEWHERE that free sites are honeypots



well gosh, that's authoritative :roll:

:tinfoilhat:
MrFredPFL
 
Posts: 15730
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby sunnyd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:24 am

ejonesss wrote:i have heard SOMEWHERE that free sites are honeypots


So you are thinking that they separate their customers by who is paying, and who is not, and only use some for a honeypot? I think NOT! :roll:

Note that their free service has "only access to their Sweden location".

Image
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd
 
Posts: 30027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby ejonesss » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:49 am

it was the free package that was giving me problems (i like that i can only get access to the sweden servers since sweden does not have dmca or if they do the bar is set so high that their equiv to the dmca is effectively barkless and toothless).

the problem i was having is after the login was sent by the vpn client then the connection was hanging and i never got the ip (i guess that is how seriously overloaded vpns act (i should know because i tried popcorntime and it's built in vpn powered by Kebrum acted the same way for me)

the reason i say vpns act that way is because unlike normal overloaded servers vpns will not kick you off and tell you it is overloaded in any way.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:54 am

ejonesss wrote:my hope is that the operators of the service would see this post and come on to defend and re assure us that it is safe (like tpb did over the cloudflare thing)



so, let me get this straight. u think they might be a honeypot. let's assume that they are, for the sake of argument. now, if they come here and say they aren't, why would u believe them if u already distrust them? would u expect the operators of a honeypot to admit it?

there's an old adage in sales - the person who makes the sale is the last person to buy the prospective customer a cup of coffee. it sounds like you're that customer, and are willing to believe whatever the last person tells u - until the next one comes along.
MrFredPFL
 
Posts: 15730
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby sunnyd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:00 pm

Aside from what Fred said, ejonesss, I still feel pretty certain that you did not do any research yourself online and see what others had to say about any issues with the service.

Had you done any research at all yourself, you would have posted it here, and not be expecting others to do it for you. :wink:

Some of your questions such as response time for them answering emails, would have been answered, had you done some homework. They just started charging for the service at the end of January.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd
 
Posts: 30027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby sunnyd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:26 pm

Here's what you could have/should have found out yourself if you had looked, ejonesss, and this is only one example. :wink: There are NO reports, not one, saying the site is not safe. People were initially suspicious of the site charging nothing, and being started by some friends of The Pirate Bay, but currently, there is nothing available online from others saying it is unsafe or is a honeypot.

Image
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd
 
Posts: 30027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby ejonesss » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:36 pm

…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby sunnyd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:56 pm

ejonesss wrote:one sais avoid it.


ejonesss, did you even bother to read what I said above?

sunnyd wrote:People were initially suspicious of the site charging nothing, and being started by some friends of The Pirate Bay, but currently, there is nothing available online from others saying it is unsafe or is a honeypot.


You just now posted an entire page of Google search results, that helps nothing, and does not provide a link to the "one" you are referring to, but that ONE is from October. It also proves you did NO prior research before doing your original post. I read that ONE article you mentioned when you first did this post. And, I explained above why initially users were suspicious of it, but let me elaborate a bit more. In October of 2014, 100,000 users were sent to the service at once, which was then, a totally free service and everyone was wondering how that free service could operate totally free.

Unless you can prove that the site is unsafe or can provide feedback from others about the service currently, you really should consider having us change the topic title here to "Questions about FrootVPN." If so, please let us know, and we'll take care of it. This isn't the first time you have posted something that is based solely on your paranoia, and then left it hanging. :idea:
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd
 
Posts: 30027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby wmitty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:11 pm

No amount of research will prove that this or any other service is clean or not clean

Froot started free to get customers, simple as that. They got a ton of free ads due to the free service

As for rdns.gigabell.es, its a Portlane Networks AB service and Froot is hosted at portlane

There. Three lines and its all sorted :roll:
wmitty
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:28 am

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby ejonesss » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:20 pm

but still why would "rdns.gigabell.es" show up as a disk on the desktop?
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby sunnyd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:24 pm

wmitty wrote:No amount of research will prove that this or any other service is clean or not clean


I disagree. Whenever there are "current suspicions" about any VPN service or any file-sharing sites, it's all over the internet because everyone wants to find out what's up, not just one person.

wmitty wrote:As for rdns.gigabell.es, its a Portlane Networks AB service and Froot is hosted at portlane


I knew that, and you knew that, it only takes a little research to find that out. :wink:
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd
 
Posts: 30027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby ejonesss » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:31 pm

i did do a nslookup


** server can't find rdns.gigabell.es: NXDOMAIN

but the fact the disk mounted on the desktop scared me where most vpns dont .
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby sunnyd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:57 pm

iDisk it's not an actual disk, it's just an old version of Apple's iCloud that Apple brought back with the introduction of iCloud.

Currently doing an nslookup shows that, previously when you first posted, it showed...

Image

A little research goes a long way, which is all I have been trying to say. :wink:
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd
 
Posts: 30027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby ejonesss » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:46 pm

snipped to prevent further rubbing in of this reply
Last edited by ejonesss on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby sunnyd » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:58 pm

ejonesss wrote:another possibility is the vpn client may have a "serves you right for pirating" trap built in

:doh:

And you would be the only one out of thousands of people using the service that is reporting this? Yah that makes total sense, NOT!

ejonesss, you started this all because of iDisk on your desktop, and said you were scared. Knowing now that Apple's iDisk service is just one example of how most cloud storage services already use WebDAV as a standard to access their online storage, and that it appears on your Mac desktop just like a local disk drive does, has this been explained enough for you now?

And does it make sense to you that if thousands of people are using this service and suddenly suspicions arise related to the safety of the site, that there would be numerous other search results reporting those same issues/suspicions, and not just from one person?

I will repeat myself, other than the original suspicions when the site began last October, there have been NO reports of anyone else even suggesting the site is not safe. :idea:
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd
 
Posts: 30027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby bmh67wa » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:37 pm

ejonesss wrote:
instead of paying the $9 i got a registration code from a p2p source.

then to keep the program from complaining about pirated serial number i used the hosts file and mapped the phone home url to 0.0.0.0 witch worked no more complaints.



I don't know why this conversation is even continuing considering the methods that he has admitted to in order to connect to their service. That's like stealing a car and later bitching about the spare missing from the trunk and expecting sympathy because you got a flat during the getaway chase.


I use froot and other than the occasional connection issues (which is to be expected from a free service) I have had no problems or worries.
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

zbeast wrote:80's porn is so strange big hair and lazy humping.
User avatar
bmh67wa
 
Posts: 3423
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:32 pm
Location: sanctuary.darkservers.net:3456,4568 or 8888

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby ejonesss » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:39 pm

did i not say i went legit?
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby sunnyd » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:41 pm

bmh67wa wrote:
ejonesss wrote:
instead of paying the $9 i got a registration code from a p2p source.

then to keep the program from complaining about pirated serial number i used the hosts file and mapped the phone home url to 0.0.0.0 witch worked no more complaints.


This is something ejonesss posted which is related to Viscosity, it has nothing to do with Froot.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd
 
Posts: 30027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby sunnyd » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:50 pm

ejonesss wrote:did i not say i went legit?


So by going legit now, are you implying that you feel it's safe now because you just didn't understand things before or do any research prior to posting in the first place? If so, that makes sense. :wink:
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd
 
Posts: 30027
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Re: beware of frootvpn maybe unsafe now

Postby ejonesss » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:57 pm

no it is not that going legit makes me safe it makes the vpn more reliable because there is no reason for the vpn client to drop the connection anymore.


what is making me leary on frootvpn is that now the webdav like disk is showing on the desktop named "rdns.gigabell.es"

i dont know if it is a mis configured server or if it intentional and maybe someone from froot can chime in and set things straight.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss
 
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Next

Return to Others

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

© 2001-2008 Slyck.com