Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

utatane stuck n waiting line yellow text

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

utatane stuck n waiting line yellow text

Postby bp2k8 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:38 pm

basically i have only a cable modem with no router nor firewall but links i download turn yellow & keep retrying as they either time out or it just says waiting. In addition it seems it sometimes recognizes al of my files but other time only about 1/3 of them are recognized. i have tried both the eng .25 vers & the japanese 1.04 vers. please help
bp2k8

Re: utatane stuck n waiting lin yellow text

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:52 pm

In your Utatane client, go to settings and make sure your ports are set to "unable to listen" for transfers, rather than using a specified port. Restart your Utatane client and see if you are able to connect/download. Typically if you had a router, you would want to use port 6699 only for tcp (or another port), a setting for udp is not necessary with Utatane. If you don't user a router, then that means you are on port "0", and if the person you are trying to download from is also on port "0" you will be unable to connect to each other for a file transfer.

Also be sure in your settings, that you have selected an incoming folder destination for downloads. If you recently changed drives, that would require you to change your destination folder.

Edit: I forgot to address your file recognition issue. Are they on separate drives, and do you always make sure the drives are on? Do you have the right shareset set for the specific server you are connecting to? When you add folders to share for a specific shareset, you must make sure in the server information, that you have the right shareset indicated for that server. Utatane allows for different sharesets for different servers if you choose to do that, so the server must always have the proper shareset identified, or some files may not show as a result.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby bp2k8 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:17 pm

sunnyd im glad you are still around to help with this stuff! as for file recognition... its as if all the zip and rar files i have get "opened" by utatane and show up as individual files/tracks as opposed to just the zip file like the rest of the users have it. In addition even with all my hard drives connected... certain files just do not always show. for example my shareset wil say 100gb but when i browse me or direct browse it says 15gb only almost consistently.

i have read many threads on here & understand many users are picky etc but one guy is trying to let me download but it stays yellow & just says waiting link. its weird its as if other users do not see my files fully or something. i turn my software firewall off completely & do not have a hardware based one. i have many sharesets some more organized than others but files are ideal. do you use it & can test if you "see" me.

as for port 0 is this because i have a direct connection from my cable modem to my pc. i am aware some people care a lot about organization etc but at this point i have no idea if they even see my files etc.
bp2k8

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:44 pm

In your settings, are the boxes checked for "share all file types" and "don't share hidden extensions"? If you have extracted a .zip or .rar file into a folder, and you are sharing that whole folder, then all the extracted files will show (and share) also, and not just the .zip or .rar file by itself. I would suggest moving the extracted files out to another location, and not including them in your shared folder, unless of course you wish to share all the single files as well.

Utatane does not open files, it only displays them for others. If you look in the window panes of the share page on your Utatane, the left window will show the name of the folder you added to a specific shareset, and the middle window will list all the individual file names in those folders.

Perhaps check your files again in the folders you are sharing (make sure the files are what you want to share), then delete each folder from the shareset and start all over with adding folders to your shareset again. Remember, any files in a specific folder will be shared, unless you remove the files you don't want to share. Also remember that whatever shareset you are creating, must be the same shareset that is listed in the server information for the server you are connecting to. Right click on the server name, choose edit, and be sure the right shareset is listed there.

As for port 0, you're automatically on it, if you are not using a router and have not opened a port to use for Utatane. if the other user is also port 0 like you are, you will never connect to them, but since you are unable to determine that, you have to make sure your own settings are set to "unable to listen", regardless, unless you open a port to use for tcp which means you would have to port forward through a router. If you are not planning to port forward and open a port to use on a router, then you have to stay as port 0. Two port 0 users together is the same as having a brick wall between you. Try other users and see if you can download, but also make sure you check everything I listed for you in both posts of instructions and things to check.

You have not said, is the other user also using Utatane?
sunnyd

Postby bp2k8 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:18 pm

yes i have followed your advice & yes all users use utatane as they are sharing mostly Japanese stuff.
i have put a link below with the ex. i get a variety of these yellow waiting for link or it just keeps trying to convect & then reconnect but never actually start. i am willing to believe your knowledge about the brick wall aspect. i would assume most people in japan use wireless router or at least a wired ethernet hub through their modem but maybe not. i always thought direct ethernet to pc was the best but is it worth getting a router to test it to see if it will help? any other tips as you are the holy grail of this program as there is not too much info or popularity with it.
thank you for all your help at your free time as i know you are busy so i hope i do not impose.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2aaiyxc.png
bp2k8

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:30 pm

Without going into any explanation that may be implying users are not sharing properly or are ignoring you, which does happen sometimes, I'd like to suggest that you try OpenNap servers which are based on SlavaNap software. You can find a list of the current servers here on this link:

http://gotnap.com/index.php/list

Manually enter one or more of the server name/s (the network name) and the proper port from this list on GotNap, along with your proper shareset, and try some of these servers.

I did view your picture, and my response here is based on moving forward, trying something else to see if you have better luck. :)
sunnyd

Postby bp2k8 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:00 pm

i wil take your advice although most of the files i share and look for are japanese. i truly beleive it is the router issue. strange as torrents etc i am able to dl & seed just fine. i am indeed able t download from users on the servers you listed iv the link. so is it just that japanese users do not allow. most users it goes straight to queue in purple text color but the two users i talk to it goes to yellow color waiting for link hence the reason i thought they were trying to let me download.??
bp2k8

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:46 pm

I suspect they are intentionally not allowing you to download. :wink: Some people are just not cool.

I'm glad you tested other servers and were able to prove that your downloads are actually working, though.

Using a router will of course increase your options of who you can download from, but that's a choice you would have to make.

Good luck!
sunnyd

Postby bp2k8 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:14 pm

im sorry to bother you sunnyd but another issue.... a user on there had me in queue [like normal lol] but i saw it change as he told me he would start it yet it dropped to waiting for link again and then dropped back into queue. should i just go & get a router?
bp2k8

Postby sunnyd » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:31 pm

It's no problem at all, glad I can answer questions for you.

Most likely the user only had one upload spot open (or possibly two). As a result of your disconnect, someone else ended up taking your place in line, which put you back to waiting in queue. As soon as a spot is open, the next person's transfer will start.

A router won't help that.
sunnyd

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:44 am

i personally don't think a router will help any of these issues. as a general rule of thumb, routers make this more difficult, not easier.
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:51 am

My experience with this indicates otherwise, Fred. Not to say that port forwarding is easy for everyone, and that buying a router is the ultimate answer, but I see instances all the time of users not being able to connect to each other based on both of them being on port 0.

Edit: A router won't help if someone is intentionally blocking you, and it won't help your download resume if your connection drops and someone else gets your spot, but it does increase your options for who you can download from which I explained above.
sunnyd

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:10 pm

except not having a router in no way forces a person to use port 0, does it?
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:20 pm

There are other options to opening ports in operating system firewalls. Specifically related to the use of Utatane for this discussion (although it applies to other file-sharing clients as well), if you do not have a port open (firewall or router) then yes, you are forced to use port 0. The problem that I often see is that users don't properly change their settings to indicate "unable to listen" (meaning they are on port 0), or to "listen on port 6699" for tcp if they have a port open to use.

I see instances of people who have left their setting as "listen on port 6699" when they don't have a port open, and when I change them manually to port 0 on SlavaNap, they are then able to connect.

Am I perhaps misunderstanding something else you are referring to?
sunnyd

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:53 pm

right, the problem is that ports are not accessible when they need to be, and/or settings in the client are incorrect.

either way, i don't see how adding a router to the equation makes it inherently easier ;)

settings need to be correct, both in the client and in any firewall or router.
MrFredPFL

Postby bp2k8 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:26 pm

funny as i just got that error when testing a download from myself. sunnyd i just got a router have to get another ethernet cable as i forgot one goes to modem then router then next ove from router to pc. funny as u mention i can attest to your knowledge. many times it stays on yellow and one time out of nowehere the user told me hey do you have a firewall or something and i say no and he said maybe its a router issue then as he was trying to let e download for 1 whole day!. i also got a download to complete and it connected directly with a diff user so it shows some people have a config that works for me...

as for the yellow waiting for link people i am sure it will fix after i install router tomorrow. should i be able to browse to myself and download. its weird i had zonealarm av and i could download from myself and today i could not. i even tried uninstalling and still alas i cannot download from myself. it says both users are hidden from behind firewall yet the users are me as im doing it from myself. any help. i greatly appreciate your wisdom. i feel im on the cusp to full understanding :)
bp2k8

Postby sunnyd » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:47 pm

You will need to open a port in that router, I would suggest opening port 6699, and here's a good place to start for help...

http://portforward.com/

You can find your router in a list of several manufacturers on this page...
http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... rindex.htm

Once you find your router manufacturer, then click on the model number of your router. Next you will see an entire alphabetical list of programs to open a port for. Scroll down to "W" and click on WinMX. The setup instructions will be the same as for Utatane but the images they display will of course look different. You will not need to setup anything for UDP, only for TCP.

By opening port 6699 you will no longer be on port 0, and you will increase your options for people to download from.

Remember to check to be sure you have the port open after port forwarding is complete. You can use this to help you....
http://www.canyouseeme.org/ (you will type port 6699 in the blue box) If you get a "Success: I can see your service on...." that means your port is open and you are all set.

Once you have success, then remember to change your settings in Utatane to say "listen on port 6699".

To answer your other question, you cannot download from yourself from the same ip address. It would have to be from a different PC.

Good luck!
sunnyd

Postby bp2k8 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:57 am

i appreciate the clarity... huh strange maybe i did it on winx then. i know a few times on one of those pgms i did it to test to see if i could connect and it started going. no matter.... i always appreciate your prompt replies. it might seem corny but you truly help me and hopefully you have some sort of tutor or teaching aspect in your life as you are quite gifted.

im sure you are resting and i will reply back once i get my router setup but one sort of imp question...

once im in queue and i leave it on why is it that it goes higher say i was #2 then i become 4/ is it cause he cannot "see" me and someone else with a router is jumping in my place? im sure he may give pref to other downloaders but a who is aka user info shows hi as no download or upload slots so i imagine he is "chilling" so to speak. even user i successfully downloade b4 this time when im in queue it goes higer as opposed to lower or instant DL.
bp2k8

Postby sunnyd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:38 am

A router is not the magic answer to everything, but opening a port hopefully will help you.

Being behind a firewall or not having a port open, and/or using wrong settings will essentially all cause the same issue. It's like a brick wall between you and some other users. In your case it also appears you have run into some very selfish people not willing to share and there is nothing that you can do to change that, unfortunately, unless you can reach a server admin to get through to the selfish user.

As for queuing, the Utatane client automatically "retries" to queue, and if you are in the process of retry, someone else gets in with their queued file ahead of you, then your queue number increases. The client is set by default to retry in the event you should lose connection, it will retry so that your download can resume.

If someone sees another user in their queue, and they selfishly choose to let that person download before you, they can clear your queue, which takes you out of line until your automatic retry puts you back in line.
sunnyd

Postby bp2k8 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:46 pm

i installed it & strangely enough both servers say port 6699 is blocked. it says
I have prohibited the use of port 6699 in our server. was the original message the servers gave me

i changed it to 7777 in my router & the prgm & it works but how do i know if im actually listening even though i put that for the setting? i checked yougetsignal and it says my port is open. i have noticed even American people have 0 for upload slots yet they still connect sometimes only. again sorry to bother you. i could not get static ip to work with router etc could this be the issue? i can send a small donation or something if you want to do a teamviewr session or something otherwise im curious as i feel im almost there lol

. also just read cox isp does not allow static ip for residential which i am so why does the guide seem to say one has to have it? saddest part of this is i am a network admin at work & never had such a headache lol you are clearly master of networking!
my linksys router is not the newest hope this is not an issue too! so much stuff. at work its much easier no need to worry with weirs isp, everything is organized etc lol
bp2k8

Postby sunnyd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:25 pm

First of all, I don't know what operating system you are using, but in the event it's windows 7, here is a link on how to set a static IP address on your PC...
http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm

Cox told you that because a true static IP is one you pay for, but that is not what home networking needs to have, and there is no reason to pay for one. Your external WAN and your LAN are two different things. LAN (local area network) is your home network (the IP addresses you set your home network on), WAN (Wide area network) is the outside world.

For example, if your router gateway is 192.168.1.1, you would then make different PCs in your home that connect to the router, different IP addresses such as, one PC could be 192.168.1.100, the next one... 192.168.1.101 etc. Then in the router you tell it in the setup that for whichever PC you are using for sharing, to open port 7777 for 192.168.1.100 etc. This is helpful for homes that have more than one PC on a network, or also have a PS3 or Xbox that uses different ports than Utatane would.

If 7777 works for you, then use that port and set that in Utatane settings. All home networking does is allow different PCs to use different ports if need be, by setting static IP addresses on the PCs.

If you are still having trouble after the above, please indicate your OS, and your router model number. It makes no difference if the router is old or new. :wink:
sunnyd

Postby bp2k8 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:17 pm

http://postimg.org/image/qirbtq7jx/

http://postimg.org/image/e4v96b0bp/

<image removed for poster's security>
EDIT... used progam & got this...
http://postimg.org/image/lgl4uwpbv/
according to that portforward program i am indeed static now & its with the same ip i used for port forwarding. still let me now your opinion.

ok i have attached the pics above showing my setup. i currently am the only one using it and always will ... it is set at default as 192.168.1.100 as me as my user pc name. i have these set for all the port forwarding as well and indeed all the ports are yes open. the static issue i do understand as i have to do it for the tcp setting in my windows 7x64 setting as well as the router itself right? i tried it with the program from that web site as well as the manual way and i do it but lose the ability to pull up web sites so no go. almost there thanks to you! :D

btw i have been using the sites you post. router is befsr41 a linksys etherfast cable router and i have been to the page for it onn that site. i also have upgraded to newest firmware which makes a huge diff & its a good one :D
Last edited by bp2k8 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bp2k8

Postby sunnyd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Looks good! I saw all three pictures, but I removed the bottom one to protect your IP address as a safety measure for you. :wink:

When you configure the static IP address on your PC in TCP/IP, you can choose to obtain DNS (the bottom of that window) automatically, or you can enter the DNS as shown in your setup. The DNS IP address is what allows you to get out to the internet. My guess would be that something got changed there which prevented you from accessing the internet at all, hence the reason you could not bring up any websites.

I'm looking up information for your router, and will post again shortly.
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:20 pm

Ok, here are the screenshots for your specific router...
http://screenshots.portforward.com/rout ... efault.htm

It looks like you have the router setup fine, but you need to set the static IP address on the PC in the TCP/IP window. It has to match what you put in the settings in your router.

Gateway would be 192.168.1.1
Subnet would be 255.255.255.0
IP address would be 192.168.1.100

DNS would be either obtain automatically, or use the three IP addresses that were in your bottom screenshot. Once you set them on your PC, you will most likely get kicked offline.

**See below first - You can try to open a DOS window, hit start, and type CMD in the search window to open DOS. Once in DOS, at the blinking curser type >ipconfig /release and then when you are back at the blinking curser again type >ipconfig /renew

That should clear everything and make your PC pick up the settings you used in it. You only need to do the above if you are still having issues after setting it in the TCP/IP window.

Edit: I got sidetracked while you were editing your post and I was trying to type a reply to you, lol. Yes, your setup looks good now. :) Is everything working fine?
sunnyd

Postby bp2k8 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:43 pm

no rush. yea i believe i am static for the most part without actually purchasing a dedicated separate ip. thus u may have seen right all along as even the yellow waiting for link then retry cycle is still happening which i suppose is "normal". the irony is that if these users are in japan if they wanted an other type of music form a site or me or anther user elsewhere they could get it easily without the need to have so many picky & choosy complex. i give them the enefit of the dout. i refuse to believe that with the good stuff i share that some users would not want to let me DL a 80mb file especially with no one in queue. Even if it was an eney something as small as 80m i would let anyone DL lol which make sme think they do not see me or as you mentioned maybe they are that conniving to never start me. i wil keep trying. regardless this has helped me learn more and helpful for my job. i thank you kindly.
b
also i do not notice any benefit speed or user ease wise with the router as i thought for p2p etc it would be more ideal?

also
http://postimg.org/image/sbtsaiuon/
the site mentions i should disable dhcp... should i do this and put in dns from the isp shown in the status of the router also found from ipconfig /all?

i hope i am right for this...
http://postimg.org/image/z9rs65byl/
i put the static ip into the box for wan ip & turned dhcp off

the fact i can still post i hope is good :)
Last edited by bp2k8 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
bp2k8

Next

Return to Others