Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

SoulSeek downloads Have Become Very Slow

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

SoulSeek downloads Have Become Very Slow

Postby Ronnie B. » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:47 am

I have a strange problem going on.I have windows vista home premium and a dsl connection.i have used soulseek for years with no major problems.Suddenly, around a week to 10 days ago none of my soulseek downloads will go faster than 0.5kb/sec!It doesnt matter who the user i'm downloading from it will go no faster than that.What really puzzles me is that only soulseek downloads do this,all other downloads be it from a ,web site,winmx,or utorrent,are as fast as always.Why would this only happen with soulseek downloads?It's very frustrating,because soulseek is my favorite peer2 peer program,and this problem has rendered it virtually useless for me. The version of soulseek im using is NS 13e,thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me with this problem.
Ronnie B.

Re: SoulSeek downloads Have Become Very Slow

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:21 pm

almost sounds like ISP throttling on a specific port, altho i find it odd that they'd target this, and not the others you mention. have you tried changing which port you use for soulseek?
MrFredPFL

Postby Ronnie B. » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Yes, i tried changing ports.Sadly,it didn't help
Ronnie B.

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:33 pm

i guess my next thing to try would be picking a restore point from before the problem started. if you can go back and make it normal that way, i'd then take a very critical eye to any and all updates/new installs since then. i wouldn't put it past one of billybob's patches to do something like this.
MrFredPFL

Postby Ronnie B. » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:59 pm

unfortunately i dont have a restore point,so i can't try that.Can anybody think of anything else i could try to solve this problem?
Ronnie B.

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:00 pm

I would agree it sounds like throttling, but yes, it would be strange to throttle that one program only. Another suggestion would be to make sure the ports you are trying to use for SoulSeek are truly open. In order to test this, you should not have any other programs running for the test to be accurate. Click on http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and type in the port you are currently using. If you get the green success, you know it's open. Make sure there are no other programs using the same port, and also check to be sure something has not changed in your firewall settings either on router or pc. If you have more than one pc in the house, it may be that another program on that networked pc is attempting to use the same port you are, and if so, you would have to change one of them.

Try to think back to any changes you made, new programs installed, etc. since the last time SoulSeek worked fine, and rule out one thing at a time (which you most likely have already been doing out of sheer frustration).

Just some additional things for you to check, and good luck.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Return to Others