Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Winny English version.

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Larckchan » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:09 pm

manu wrote:Dunno why you ppl botherd with a english version from Winny :roll:. Winny was great maybe 1year ago befor foreigner started to leech (and dont shared anything) on it.
That was also a reason those japanese ppl created safeny http://tmp4.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/download/1088067782/l100
http://tmp4.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/download/1088086464/l100
A prog that keep you safe from police and other ips but also from foreingers. Because japanese ppl really hate us for using their programm. Winny only got created because WinMX got killed my brainless gaijin leechers. And now exactly the same happen to winny. Because of those english FAQs or translated versions (1.14 and 2.66).

It got really hard to get new files because your country is banned by 70% or just because ppl cap their up and only want to leech.

Ah btw to the question because of the UP. When u have a higher upoad you get more download slots. Default is 2 when you up for some secs more than 45kb/s you get 3 slots and ongoing.

But anyway have fun with a near dead prog :p

I think manu is right, until some points, we can deny westerns do leech from this networks, and japanese know it, as i said in another forum "Fat american kill winny" is very common in japanese BBS, there are many reason for this, one since this networks are moslty used by japanese one western can feel to get alienated from the rest, so many go take what they need and leave to the one comunities they identify with, but dont get me wrong i think leecher are the scum of this world, they take without giving in a comunity thats about sharing.

But i think yoou beeing unfair putting all us "gaijin" in the same place then the leechers, i assure you there are many of us that have a respect for the one source of thing we love from asian countrys.

Me i'm very gratefull to mr. char for this english version of winny and for keep us informed about the latest news about the japanese p2p file sharing programs, thank you again mr char, keep up the good work :) .
Larckchan

Postby manu » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:25 pm

heh char when you would be more informed about Winny (befor he got arrested) banning was planned for version 3.0 ^^.
But it never got made because yeah 47 got arrested so its a unfinished prog. And ppl can be happy its unfished ;).

@Larckchan:

Yes maybe im unfair but its sadly like that i see most of the gaijins just leech and never share. Maybe some share ok when you do it sorry i dont wanted to attack you :oops:. But i see you get my point in this. And would be nice char and some other (for me) show offs also.
manu

Postby nemo » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:07 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to run the source code of winny2b66 that can be found in the following link:
http://www.angelfire.com/moon/ann0/
I found this link in the site you gave for the english patch (http://www.winny-english.tk/).

Did you try it? I'm facing a few problems that I can't figure out. It won't open connections for some reason?

I keep getting the same error after the line:
ret=WSAAsyncSelect(A->socbbsAccept,A->h_Whnd,0x401,FD_ACCEPT);
in the "comm.cpp" file.

When I try running the exe files (from the same link) It also won't work....same reason.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Nemo.
nemo

Postby Ashitaka » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:16 pm

manu wrote:I see that 90% of the foreinger just leech like stupid from this programm. They give nothing back only get the shows and kill the cache (like some english winny site teached them).
And this prog is not made for foreigner (when you would read some winny bbs on 2ch you would know that) japs made it to trade between them.So yeah make a english version and get more ppl to it. Is that not a little bit stupid? Now we see Winny is sort of dead and they made another sharing prog even harder to get and no FAQ or how to configurate it. So this shows me they dont want gaijins in their prog (or not that much).
I dont really care anymore i use other japanese sharing progs but its sad Winny get destroyed like Winmx by gaijins who only want to leech.
For some stuff it is better to remain as secret.

Just wait and see how it will end with Winny ^^

Foreigners aren't destroying Winny. The main English guide to Winny does not have any instructions on how to use it with no cache, and this website doesn't either.

I am currently sharing 6.4GB of Japanese files (ero games, anime, MAD, etc.) on the network, as well as possessing a 1GB cache of other people's files. Thanks for the translation, char! :)
Ashitaka

Postby manu » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:39 am

Ashitaka wrote:
manu wrote:I see that 90% of the foreinger just leech like stupid from this programm. They give nothing back only get the shows and kill the cache (like some english winny site teached them).
And this prog is not made for foreigner (when you would read some winny bbs on 2ch you would know that) japs made it to trade between them.So yeah make a english version and get more ppl to it. Is that not a little bit stupid? Now we see Winny is sort of dead and they made another sharing prog even harder to get and no FAQ or how to configurate it. So this shows me they dont want gaijins in their prog (or not that much).
I dont really care anymore i use other japanese sharing progs but its sad Winny get destroyed like Winmx by gaijins who only want to leech.
For some stuff it is better to remain as secret.

Just wait and see how it will end with Winny ^^

Foreigners aren't destroying Winny. The main English guide to Winny does not have any instructions on how to use it with no cache, and this website doesn't either.

I am currently sharing 6.4GB of Japanese files (ero games, anime, MAD, etc.) on the network, as well as possessing a 1GB cache of other people's files. Thanks for the translation, char! :)

Sure when you say so. And why i see on near every Winny bbs on 2ch stuff like "die gaijin" or just some comments that make me think ur totaly wrong ^^.
manu

Postby Ashitaka » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:36 pm

manu wrote:And why i see on near every Winny bbs on 2ch stuff like "die gaijin" or just some comments that make me think ur totaly wrong ^^.
Some people are just racist... :roll:

I am sure there are some Americans who leech, but on the other hand there are definitely some Japanese who leech as well.
Ashitaka

Postby Ashitaka » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:10 pm

English Winny forum

Here's an anonymous forum for discussing filesharing, in 2ch style...

http://www.tedel.com/shii/download/
Ashitaka

Why is winny so slow?

Postby John Peters » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:30 pm

I don't know if it is because of my settings but when I want to download a movie, the maximum transfer intervals are only a couple of minutes. In such an interval I download at 20kb/sec, but these intervals occur only once in half an hour. In this way it would take ages to download an avi-file! Is this normal for winny? Or how do I change this?

(In comparison via kazaa I download and mainly upload at 10 times that speed)

Please give me some advice?

John
John Peters

Postby tweety » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:52 am

ATTENTION

just a note to update regular your virus scanner, i got yesterday infected by W32.HLLW.Antinny refering to http://www.symantec.co.jp/region/jp/sarcj/data/w/w32.hllw.antinny.html the worm deletes your winny cache-folder and who knows what happen anymore

i noticed even on idle-mode activities to the web, found in task-list a entry for msvcirtr.exe and a virus scan appears that those non-standard windows file file included svchost.exe was infected and also a non-standard windows file msrepl.exe too
tweety

Postby kennyg » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:40 am

Very impressed to see all the work that has gone into making winny more accesable for english speaking users. I have been told about this network for a while but as my japanese is pretty dreadful i have stayed with BT up to know. It would be very helpful for getting japanese subtitles for movies so I can watch them with my woman who can't be arsed to watch movies in 100% english.Anyways, Thanks to Char and the others involved.
As for the comments about Gaijin being said by manu in particular- rascism is pathetic where ever it is coming from and however prevelant rascist comments may be they are still unacceptable. If you had any guts you would not be repeating them on these boards and attacking people who are helping to open doors between cultures.
kennyg

Postby tm, » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:34 am

With Winny being closed source and no longer being developed, it seems that this vulnerability will remain open to be exploited by new and different worms not yet known. While an antivirus helps, they only prevent yesterday's infections. This seems like a serious security hole that badly needs to be plugged. Until that happens, how risky will it be to run Winny? Can we expect more malicious worms in the future?
tm,

Postby sonjool » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:50 pm

hi, i followed the little guide.
and i download an AVI file.
but in the download folder, there was nothing.
but there was bunch of things in the cache folder.
what do i do with the cache folder files to make it a one whole avi. (there are about 4000 files in cache folder)
sonjool

Postby nms04 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:01 pm

I've updated my Winny Website! (new Style, new Forums, more Links ...) - http://www.winny-english.tk
nms04

Postby Larckchan » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:09 pm

Mushroom wrote:I've updated my Winny Website! (new Style, new Forums, more Links ...) - http://www.winny-english.tk

Nice, your site was put together nicely, the forum is a bit empty...well now you have one more member :wink:
Larckchan

Postby nms04 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:46 pm

Larckchan wrote:
Mushroom wrote:I've updated my Winny Website! (new Style, new Forums, more Links ...) - http://www.winny-english.tk

Nice, your site was put together nicely, the forum is a bit empty...well now you have one more member :wink:

:D thx! see u there!
nms04

Postby Tenko » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:58 am

Perhaps this isn't the best place to ask this, but I've got Winny up and running, and it works fine, except for one little bit. The menus and buttons display in Japanese fine, but the main windows just... putter out.

Here's a picture of it: http://img28.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img28&im ... ny_bug.png

Notice how, in the main window, the text is garbled. I'm running Windows 2000, and I've set all the appropriate regional settings (code pages, default language, stuff like that), and this is what I've got. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Any help would be appreciated.
Tenko

Postby tm, » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:31 am

Tenko wrote:Any help would be appreciated.

Using a character translator such as NJStar Communicator might help.
tm,

Postby AussieMatt » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:41 pm

Tm you posted that winny is closed source thats not the case and source code links and english language patches can be found on Mushrooms forums .
AussieMatt

Postby tm, » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:30 pm

Winny was never an 'open-source' program. There were some security vulnerabilities discovered in the bulletin board at the time of the arrests, but these were never patched because, since the Winny developer was arrested by police and the code impounded, development of Winny came to an abrupt halt.

according to Wikipedia

"Shortly following the two users' arrests, Kaneko also had his home searched and had the source code of Winny confiscated by the Kyoto Police"

This happened back in 2003. But recently there has been a purported source code for Winny floating around the net, but I have read reports that this is neither the latest version's source code, nor is it complete. Some have even said that it was extracted from the exe. The lack of having source code from Winny to continue development was supposed to be a reason why the Share project started.
tm,

Winny Source

Postby AussieMatt » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:14 am

Ok I know the Story behind Winny and Share and know Share is closed source 3 versions ofthe Winny source code are availible at the following site .

http://www.b-geeks.com
AussieMatt

Winny Port Warn

Postby slf » Tue May 31, 2005 1:55 am

Only recently, I've been getting a lot of "Port warn"under the Connection column in Node. And then eventually Winny would disable itself because of too many "Port warn"

1. What is "Port Warn"?
2. How can I solve the problem?

Thanks very much! :)
slf

Postby Psycho Ced » Tue May 31, 2005 2:12 am

is winny still in develoupment?
And what is "Share" I've heard somewhere that it is a winny Mod
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby LxBeast » Tue May 31, 2005 5:33 am

Psycho Ced wrote:is winny still in develoupment?
And what is "Share" I've heard somewhere that it is a winny Mod

Winny development ended quite a while back, 'Share' is the successor to Winny which is in development. [Dif code/rs, etc]
LxBeast

Postby euwe_max » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:37 am

tm wrote:Don't be intimidated by Japanese. If you get a translator application like Power Translator and a charactor enabler like NJStar Communicator, it can be quite easy. If someone like me can navigate through Japanese then anyone can.

Hey all, I've just downloaded the english version of WinNy in this thread... however my winny does not display any japanese characters, although I have NJStar communicator already installed inside... can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?

I've attached a screenshot of my WinNy.. the words in green are supposed to have some japanese words too right? =\

Here's a picture of it..
http://img153.echo.cx/img153/5172/winny3ii.jpg
euwe_max

Postby tm, » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:22 am

euwe_max wrote:
Hey all, I've just downloaded the english version of WinNy in this thread... however my winny does not display any japanese characters, although I have NJStar communicator already installed inside... can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?

NJStar does not install drivers and run automatically at bootup (one big reason I like it) so you need to run NJStar each time before starting your P2P application. When NJStar is running, you will see an icon in the system tray. Right-click on this icon and a choice of languages pops up. Choose the language in which you want the characters to appear. (in this case - choose Japanese)

Note: I have not used NJStar communicator in a long time (maybe it's been a couple of years) so the current version might be different from what I described.

You may also need to download and install the Microsoft Windows Japanese character language pack - I don't remember if this is needed or not to run NJStar. To get the language pack, just visit any Japanese language website, and you'll get a Windows popup asking if you want to install it.

hmmm ... I guess I just picked a lucky time to visit Slyck, and saw this recent post on the front page, with a quote of something I wrote (and since forgot about) a while back.
tm,

PreviousNext

Return to Others