Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Winny English version.

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby tsafa » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:05 am

hard to tell. new verion has no english patch yet. someone said somthing about not being able to share files easily
tsafa

Postby char » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:03 am

tsafa wrote:hard to tell. new verion has no english patch yet. someone said somthing about not being able to share files easily

Please try unpacked version of 2b71 I posted before.This one fixed bug of original 2b71.
char

Postby tm, » Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:40 pm

After trying Winny, I must suspect that it cannot be considered a close substitute for any standard, non-proxied P2P. Because each user is acting as a proxy for other Winny users, I assumed that the download times would be doubled, but it seems to be much worse than that. Search results are easily returned, if only because most are "virtual" searches; locating a distributed filename/hash value but not the actual file. It is possible that everything is highly queued and that this is not indicated, and this is the reason for the long wait without downloading anything. Also the possibility that it might take a longer time than a few hours to crawl the network, find files, and start downloading. (eDonkey can often take several hours - or longer - before downloads start due to long queues)

What has anyone else's experience been like using Winny? How long can you expect to wait before downloads begin?

Overall, I was not very impressed from what I experienced, but admit I might not have been using it correctly. Winny might offer great anonymity protection for a paranoid P2P'er, but since the odds of being sued by the RIAA - assuming that I purposely took all known steps to be a likely target - is probably on the order of being struck by lightning, I cannot see any point of giving up the performance of my regular P2Ps for the safe sanctuary of Winny - at least not yet.
tm,

Postby char » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:59 am

tm wrote:each user is acting as a proxy for other Winny users

No.Winny sometimes proxy for other users.But many times connect direct like other P2P.
For example

A(Upload file"F")-> C(Relay and remain cache of F) -> B(Download file F and remain cache of F)

tm wrote:I assumed that the download times would be doubled, but it seems to be much worse than that

tm wrote:It is possible that everything is highly queued and that this is not indicated

The file which is popular with a user is transfered and proxyed so much in a Winny network, and remain as cache so much.So popular file can get more easily and faster in Winny.Unlike another P2P specially WinMX or Kazaa,we must wait long queue to start download some of the popular file.

Now 99% of Winny users are Japanese.Although Japanese culture is getting popular than before,But still not unversal.There is many files which Japanese peoples like but those files are valueless for Non-Japanese.The file easily found in Winny is not found in eDonkey.The opposite is also truth.
If you can find same file in Winny and eDonkey network,I am sure that Winny can obtain the file easily.

Proxy,cache,clusternization are wonderful ideas of Winny.Those ideas increase accessbulity of files.
Those ideas increase accessbility of files.
char

anonymous

Postby bergy » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:17 pm

Are you anonymouse when you first connect to winny
or do you have to click the address encryption button?
bergy

Postby tergo » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:09 am

can anyone tell me how to decode a winny cache file? Downloaded a winny cache file off of a site and it tells me I need winny to decode it. TIA!
tergo

Postby daihung » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:18 pm

I tried winny for few days, but I still do not understand how to make it works.

So I have a cache file, "%49340358e9b275779df522388865f343" something like this, how do I convert it back to normal file?

should I look into the task window and right click to do "force convert"? the download window?

Or may be I should create a new folder in the folder tab and do a "rescan" and then convert?

I'm totally clueless............ :(
daihung

Postby DarkGod » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:30 pm

Daihung: Winny keeps a cache of incomplete files; once your download is complete it should automatically be converted and sent to the "Down" folder. You only force conversion if you want to say view a bit of an incomplete media file.

Also I have a couple questions for the more experienced Winny users. I find most of the time my downloads only last a couple minutes (sometimes even only 10 seconds), is this normal or is there a way to improve upon this? Also I read somewhere that "Up" stands for download speed and "Down" stands for upload speed (source: http://www.uguu.org/winny/c.html#1) surely this is false? Thanks in advance.
DarkGod

Postby gaijinsamurai » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:02 pm

I am having trouble searching.
I am trying to cut Japanese writing from Internet Explorer and paste it into Winny, but when I do, I get a row of question marks. I have the Japanese IME and NJStar Communicator installed. Is there a way to cut Japanese text from Internet Explorer and paste it into Winny?
Thanks in advance.
"The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence."
-- John Adams
gaijinsamurai

Postby tsafa » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:49 am

I ha no idea you guys where epping this post alive. I would have checked it earlier. Does anyone have a current link to newest winny and any english patch?
tsafa

Postby DarkGod » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:06 am

Newest Winny is .74_004 and can be found on nyNode. English patch isn't really necessary as all the menues remain the same and the only difference between .71 and .74 I believe are bug fixes.
DarkGod

Postby Mercano » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:17 am

I don't know why, but some files won't convert even after download is finished.

I've got several files marked as "Complete cache" but most of them won't convert no matter what I do, and they don't appear in my down folder.

Is there any way to force conversion ? Any tool ?
Do you know why this happens ?

TIA

Mercano
Mercano

Postby Larckchan » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:30 pm

Hello there, first let me thank you people for putting this pacth together, great work,
i'm new to the board, i registered because i'm interested in the use of winny mostly,
so i hope to hear more new about this great app.

Mercano wrote:I've got several files marked as "Complete cache" but most of them won't convert no matter what I do, and they don't appear in my down folder.

I'm very new to this program too, but i believe i can help you, there is an option
to not let the files convert in the option windows under the "Download Tab", is the
first check box (in case you have the jap ver at the 3rd Tab) i hope this solves your problem.
Larckchan

Postby kalimero » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:24 pm

Hi you can try WinnyCacheinfo
You have to edit the Cache- and ExportFolderPath in the ini. Then start it, click the open folder icon (files in list should appear now) and then click the save icon to convert your file.

But for me it works only with cache files that WinNY can convert too. I still have 2 files which are finished but doesn't convert :(
kalimero

Postby kalimero » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:06 pm

OMG - I have the solution O_O
You only have to follow these instructions
The problem is that WinNY tries to make a file in japanese characters but windows don't support it.
kalimero

Postby tweety » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:05 am

Winny looks not bad especially when you're on freakin ADSL with only 128k upload-stream. I usual looking for japanese photobooks and so far WinMX with the few japanese OpenNap-server was/is always the best source, but if you also interested onto actual Idol Videos tradings usual get canceled through the bandwidth handicap.

* files on winny are indicated with the HASH, what is the TRIP (how important) ?

char wrote:User A set cluster words of "music" "mp3" "album"
User B set no cluster words
User C set "TV" "avi" "mp3"
User D set same as User A

User A and D conect most easy and strong.
User C and A or D conect next easily.
User A and B,B and C C and D conect not easy and not strong.

Therefore If you need music files.If you set some music related words.
You can easily conecct other users who to your taste.

where to set "these related words" ???

* sometimes in the TASK-window you can see that winny tries connect for a download, but connection closes with errror "KEY LOST" - is there any way to avoid these ?
Last edited by tweety on Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
tweety

Postby manu » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:57 am

Dunno why you ppl botherd with a english version from Winny :roll:. Winny was great maybe 1year ago befor foreigner started to leech (and dont shared anything) on it.
That was also a reason those japanese ppl created safeny http://tmp4.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/download/1088067782/l100
http://tmp4.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/download/1088086464/l100
A prog that keep you safe from police and other ips but also from foreingers. Because japanese ppl really hate us for using their programm. Winny only got created because WinMX got killed my brainless gaijin leechers. And now exactly the same happen to winny. Because of those english FAQs or translated versions (1.14 and 2.66).

It got really hard to get new files because your country is banned by 70% or just because ppl cap their up and only want to leech.

Ah btw to the question because of the UP. When u have a higher upoad you get more download slots. Default is 2 when you up for some secs more than 45kb/s you get 3 slots and ongoing.

But anyway have fun with a near dead prog :p
manu

Postby char » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:32 am

manu wrote:Dunno why you ppl botherd with a english version from Winny :roll:. Winny was great maybe 1year ago befor foreigner started to leech (and dont shared anything) on it.
That was also a reason those japanese ppl created safeny

Maru
You maybe can speak english very well.But you don't understand what is English.
English is universal language.Now is 21th century not 17th century.
Here is english forum that means not only for Englishmen or Americans,for everyone.
So there is no foreigner in this forum.
And now Japanese language getting universal language,many peoples not origin in Japan use Japanese than before.

If you don't want to connect with Gaijin user,You can Ban by Safeny.
Or you can go back Shogun times,closed and poor Japan(If Doraemon is your friend).
or You can exile to North Korea.(General will be welcome you!)Both place are No Internet.

Many P2P softwares have IP filter like safeny,But Winny doesn't have this feature.Because 47 don't like Ban someone,I guess.

I think there are many leecher in domestic users.
Why do you decide Foreign user is leecher?

Now new P2P program based on Winny's idea is developping.This program called "Share".
"Share" is super-closed source program.There is no officail site on the web.Official site is at Freenet.
The anonymous Japanese(maybe) is developing Share.
Because if an identity of him is known,Kyoto police will be arrested him like 47.
I guess more than 10,000 peoples join Share network now.
Share is multilanguage GUI suported by editing language file.
You can find latest version of Share from Winny,Ringoch(Japanese P2P web network),and Share.

Latest version: Share10_a44b (5 Aug 2004)
SHA1: 83cebecf4bda858b35e71ba948dd0ee15b85b7f1
char

Postby grooed » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:04 pm

anyway.. back to the real topic.

does anyone know how to manage the cache folder? it gets stupidly HUGE after a few downloads.

give us a link to the Share program. then i'm sure some of us will check it out.
grooed

Postby tweety » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:19 am

thanks for the info char

Share10_a44b.zip
winny-hash: e313f574ace822baae0cff574a04738e
tweety

Postby manu » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:41 am

char wrote:
manu wrote:Dunno why you ppl botherd with a english version from Winny :roll:. Winny was great maybe 1year ago befor foreigner started to leech (and dont shared anything) on it.
That was also a reason those japanese ppl created safeny

Maru
You maybe can speak english very well.But you don't understand what is English.
English is universal language.Now is 21th century not 17th century.
Here is english forum that means not only for Englishmen or Americans,for everyone.
So there is no foreigner in this forum.
And now Japanese language getting universal language,many peoples not origin in Japan use Japanese than before.

If you don't want to connect with Gaijin user,You can Ban by Safeny.
Or you can go back Shogun times,closed and poor Japan(If Doraemon is your friend).
or You can exile to North Korea.(General will be welcome you!)Both place are No Internet.

Many P2P softwares have IP filter like safeny,But Winny doesn't have this feature.Because 47 don't like Ban someone,I guess.

I think there are many leecher in domestic users.
Why do you decide Foreign user is leecher?

Now new P2P program based on Winny's idea is developping.This program called "Share".
"Share" is super-closed source program.There is no officail site on the web.Official site is at Freenet.
The anonymous Japanese(maybe) is developing Share.
Because if an identity of him is known,Kyoto police will be arrested him like 47.
I guess more than 10,000 peoples join Share network now.
Share is multilanguage GUI suported by editing language file.
You can find latest version of Share from Winny,Ringoch(Japanese P2P web network),and Share.

Latest version: Share10_a44b (5 Aug 2004)
SHA1: 83cebecf4bda858b35e71ba948dd0ee15b85b7f1

I see that 90% of the foreinger just leech like stupid from this programm. They give nothing back only get the shows and kill the cache (like some english winny site teached them).
And this prog is not made for foreigner (when you would read some winny bbs on 2ch you would know that) japs made it to trade between them.So yeah make a english version and get more ppl to it. Is that not a little bit stupid? Now we see Winny is sort of dead and they made another sharing prog even harder to get and no FAQ or how to configurate it. So this shows me they dont want gaijins in their prog (or not that much).
I dont really care anymore i use other japanese sharing progs but its sad Winny get destroyed like Winmx by gaijins who only want to leech.
For some stuff it is better to remain as secret.

Just wait and see how it will end with Winny ^^
manu

Postby bibi » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:29 pm

I was just wondering... r WinMX and Winny on the same network?

coz I tried searching for something in japanese text in both Winny and WinMX and I get very similar results.
Last edited by bibi on Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bibi

Postby j_dogg » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:37 am

The WinMX and Winny networks are completly different, and do not in anyway connect to each other. The fact you recived similiar results is a coincidence.

Winny uses Freenet to create a supposedly anonymous p2p network, whereas WinMX offers no form of anonymouzing features. WinMX's user base is mostly english, compared to Winnny's largely Japanese userbase.

Of course, files can easily be found on different networks, when a user uses both app's and shares the same content with both...
j_dogg

Postby char » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:07 am

Probably,WinMX can find many kinds of files rather than Winny.
But You maybe can't get file specially from Japanese users.
WinMX have also many Japanese users.Maybe about 30% of users are Japanese.
Most of Japanese users use hacked client that have no upload slot.If you apply file from Japanese user.

To get this file from him.
You must
have many files in Japanese filename(even western musics)that he like.He surely browse your files upon every file request
send cool PM in Japanese with cool asciiarts.
otherwise you'll be banned
That's Japanese WinMX geeks way.I think Mr.47 doesn't like this way.So Winny doesn't have ban users future or PM.

The latest version of Share come out.
Share10_a46.zip (11 aug 04) 673,616byte
SHA1: 8d3a518007d9f6a36b88d726d61c58e3353d334b
MD5(hash for Winny): 71022F28170BF3C9D93AA12A21B67B33
char

pattern

Postby ougi » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:20 am

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to indentify winny traffic on the network?
Is there any pattern that I can look for inside the winny connections in order to identify it?

10x
ougi

PreviousNext

Return to Others