Slyck Chatbox - And More

Anonymous network I2P 0.7 release

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Anonymous network I2P 0.7 release

Postby Mathiasdm » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Story : http://www.i2p2.de/release-0.7

I2P is an anonymous network, that encrypts and forwards traffic through multiple others computers. On top of the network, it's possible to mail, browse, chat and use file sharing tools in a secure manner.

Among other features, the new release offers better connection limiting, higher tolerance to "out of memory" exceptions in helper applications, and an experimental new address system using Base32 hashes of destination keys (".b32.i2p" URLs).

Mathiasdm

Re: Anonymous network I2P 0.7 release

Postby Monalisa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:36 am

I2P (originally short for Invisible Internet Project, though it is not commonly referred to by this name anymore) is a mixed-license free and open source project building an anonymous network (or, more accurately, a pseudonymous overlay network). The network is a simple layer that applications can use to anonymously and securely send messages to each other. Possible uses include anonymous surfing, chatting, blogging and file transfers.

I2P software tools

Since I2P is an anonymous network layer, it is designed so other software programs can use it for anonymous communication, the so-called application layer. As such there are a variety of tools currently available for I2P or in development.

I2PTunnel

I2PTunnel is an application embedded into I2P that allows arbitrary TCP/IP applications to communicate over I2P by setting up "tunnels" which can be accessed by connecting to pre-determined ports on localhost.

SAM

SAM is a protocol which allows a client application written in any language to communicate over I2P, by using a socket-based interface to the I2P router.

BitTorrent

Several programs provide BitTorrent functionality for use within the I2P network. Each relies on the user being able to access the I2P network with a web browser to download the .torrent files. Users cannot connect to non-I2P torrents or peers from within I2P, nor can they connect to I2P torrents or peers from outside I2P.
Monalisa

Re: Anonymous network I2P 0.7 release

Postby Ratt » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:44 am

This one is a doozy. I get the impression that 0.7 finds other peers faster and opens tunnels more quickly than 0.6. :headbang:
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Return to Others