Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Proxyshare

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Proxyshare

Postby Chops » Tue May 09, 2006 2:13 pm

Hi sorry if this has been answered elswhere. I like trying different P2P but have been put off Proxyshare by the warning the on Slyck.

There is some question regarding the dubious nature of this P2P application. Use caution.

It seems to get updated regularly. Is it safe to try?
Chops

Postby nicklinus » Tue May 09, 2006 3:27 pm

P2P is never safe to use, try usenet/newsgroups it is much safer and probaly faster then what you get on the P2P networks.
nicklinus

Postby king8654 » Tue May 09, 2006 3:32 pm

Read another review, Maybe give it a try:

High-speed p2p via Proxyserver

:twisted:
king8654

Postby Chops » Tue May 09, 2006 4:32 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll stick to bit torrent and slsk for the moment
Chops

Postby sonnentier » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:59 pm

ProxyShare is useful if other people using your provider also used this tool before, and if your upload is minimalistic compared to the download rate. Many users can leech a torrent very fast, but getting a ratio of 1 will take them very long. This is where it should help, also reduce useless traffic in the internet, as you don't leave your provider if someone else uploaded already to your provider's cache.

Currently this is buggy, not much content etc; the idea however is not bad let's see what happens to it.
sonnentier

Postby ProxyShare » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:02 am

sonnentier wrote:ProxyShare is useful if other people using your provider also used this tool before, and if your upload is minimalistic compared to the download rate. Many users can leech a torrent very fast, but getting a ratio of 1 will take them very long. This is where it should help, also reduce useless traffic in the internet, as you don't leave your provider if someone else uploaded already to your provider's cache.

Currently this is buggy, not much content etc; the idea however is not bad let's see what happens to it.

Did you checkout 1.121 ?
It's quite bugfree
With cascaded proxies its not needed anymore that your isp user need to use that tool before!
ProxyShare

Postby Sacky » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:25 am

Try IRC if your looking for something different (ircklipper.info)
No Message here...
Sacky

Postby P2P_G » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:26 am

I tryed it, was kinda buggy, could get connected but no search results :cry: :wink:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby ProxyShare » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:31 am

P2P_G wrote:I tryed it, was kinda buggy, could get connected but no search results :cry: :wink:

you should try out actual ProxyShare
its kind of pretty much bugfree now

in case you have problems maybe go to irc support
ProxyShare

Postby Metaframe » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:48 pm

Guys, better leave your fingers away from the so-called anonymous filesharing tool ProxyShare because his author (the guy called ProxyShare) does not provide the source code nor is he willing to explain why he can´t release the code.

A long thread about ProxyShare (in German language only, sorry) is available here and a smaller one here.
Image removed - No graphics in sigs please! - HC
Forum Rules
Metaframe

Postby ProxyShare » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:42 pm

Metaframe wrote:Guys, better leave your fingers away from the so-called anonymous filesharing tool ProxyShare because his author (the guy called ProxyShare) does not provide the source code nor is he willing to explain why he can´t release the code.

A long thread about ProxyShare (in German language only, sorry) is available here and a smaller one here.

German trolls reached Slyck
ProxyShare

Postby Sacky » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:58 am

German trolls reached Slyck

Why dont u want to release the source?
No Message here...
Sacky

Postby ProxyShare » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:15 am

Because its not open source
ProxyShare

Postby Metaframe » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:14 pm

ProxyShare wrote:Because its not open source

Security through obscurity does not work. What reasons do you have to not publish the source code? Do you have to conceal something?
Forum Rules
Metaframe

Postby Sacky » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:03 pm

I asked why
No Message here...
Sacky

Postby Fartingbob » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:07 am

Sacky wrote:

I asked why

Not every developer wants to do open source work you know. Sometimes its nice to make something entirely by yourself and stay in control of it.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby ProxyShare » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:22 am

Fartingbob wrote:
Sacky wrote:

I asked why

Not every developer wants to do open source work you know. Sometimes its nice to make something entirely by yourself and stay in control of it.

Gulli trolls dont understand that!
ProxyShare

Postby tm, » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:23 pm

Fartingbob wrote:
Sacky wrote:

I asked why

I should point out that this same developer has previously modified GPL open-source software and released it under his own label -- while refusing to release the source code. This is in direct violation of the GPL agreement.

I suspect that, just like Hardmule, Proxyshare may also be based on open-source code.

Many people are still waiting for the source code of Hardmule to be released. Being based on a very old and outdated version of eMule, the source release would be completely insignificant - except to demonstrate the integrity of the developer. After all, this is what everyone agrees to when they download open-source code.

Although I have a lot of respect for developers willing to open-source their work, I have nothing against those who, for whatever reason, choose to keep their own code confidential. As long as it is not stolen code.

But the main question here is whether Proxyshare is another Trustyfiles that steals opensource code.
tm,

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:38 pm

if you have concerns about a possible GPL violation, go to the Free Software Foundation's compliance page.

be sure to read the FAQ first (it's linked on that page.) if, when done, you think there is a legitimate issue, they can be contacted, and asked to investigate.

caveat: only the rights holder(s) of the original GPL code can ask for an enforcement action. as no more than an interested and indignant GPL-code user, a person does not qualify to initiate an investigation by the FSF ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby tm, » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:06 pm

@MrFredPFL

Compliance with open-source licensing is generally based on a voluntary honor-system. If a GPL infringer chooses to ignore requests to abide by the licensing requirements, there is realistically little anyone can do about it. No developer of a free, open-source non-commercial software application is likely to go to the considerable expense of suing a code infringer. Government authorities are quite unlikely to do anything when free software is concerned. But these software thieves become pariahs within the open-source community.

So ProxyShare already knew that he could get away with ripping off eMule - and whatever other software is being infringed.

I wonder if KCeasy's developer Markus Kern can even keep up with all the file sharing programs that illegally use his code? Many of them are 'scam sites' that charge money for his software. It would not surprise me if it is the presence of these software code thieves that causes many developers to decide NOT to open-source their software.
tm,

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:19 pm

the FSF has its own staff, funded by donations, which litigates these cases pro bono on behalf of authors of GPL code.

tm, wrote:It would not surprise me if it is the presence of these software code thieves that causes many developers to decide NOT to open-source their software.

it would not surprise me either, in many cases.
MrFredPFL

Postby yaveznodo » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:46 pm

Really, the Open Source nitpicking really has to stop. I run open source software, my main OS is Ubuntu, but I'm not stupid enough to think that everything can be Open Source, or even shoudl be. We live in a mixed software environment. Open Source is good for some thing, and closed source is good for others. As long as he's violating no laws, why should this programmer open source his software? That's entirely his decision, and nobody elses.
yaveznodo

Postby Anonymous » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:27 pm

I just dont trust it
Anonymous

Postby ProxyShare » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:00 am

ProyShare ist NOT open source if you like it or not.
Actual PS user love PS becuase of insane download speeds and very high security compared to Emule and Torrent

PS: I get speed about 700k with my DSL6000 (full movie in about 18min)
ProxyShare

Postby Metaframe » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:40 pm

ProxyShare wrote:ProyShare ist NOT open source if you like it or not.
Actual PS user love PS becuase of insane download speeds and very high security compared to Emule and Torrent

You are talking about very high security in comparison with other non-anonymous networks. What a poor argumentation is this? You won´t release the source code for some unknown reasons but argue that your program offers very high security? If people need REAL security and anonymity they use anonymous p2p clients whose source code is publically available.

If you have nothing to hide I see no real reason why you should refuse an audit of your source code by other p2p developers.

By the way, do you remember that a planned test report on the Gulli board about ProxyShare has been declined by the moderator responsible for it due to the dubious nature of your program?

So much for that.
Forum Rules
Metaframe

Next

Return to Others