Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Soulseek: How open should I have my files?

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Soulseek: How open should I have my files?

Postby jim241 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:20 pm

This is a question to any of you that use Soulseek as I am not sure what is the 'done' thing.

At the moment my sharing is to people on my userlist. And basically I go into a room on Soulseek which fits the category of music I like and then add everyone who is sharing into that room onto my list.

I then in my personal info put to PM me if you want access to my files and it isn't letting you.

Do you think I should open access to everyone? Or is that fine. I just don't want to open my shared files to someone who I could do without seeing them you see?

Thanks in advance for your help.
jim241

Re: Soulseek: How open should I have my files?

Postby P2P_G » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:29 pm

jim241 wrote:This is a question to any of you that use Soulseek as I am not sure what is the 'done' thing.

At the moment my sharing is to people on my userlist. And basically I go into a room on Soulseek which fits the category of music I like and then add everyone who is sharing into that room onto my list.

I then in my personal info put to PM me if you want access to my files and it isn't letting you.

Do you think I should open access to everyone? Or is that fine. I just don't want to open my shared files to someone who I could do without seeing them you see?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Share with all users :) i do that....
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby dieslugs » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:53 pm

if your'e just startin' out it is better to share with all users.
as time goes on and your files and user list grows, then you can go list only(or what i do--half and half). don't forget, if you share list only that means none of your files will come up in anyone searches and it will be that much harder to join the slsk community(and it IS a great community)
whatever you do,DO NOT download from people w/o first adding them to your list(not even a "pm me to see my files" will save you from their wrath)
...and when you share, make sure you share 'bout 1000 files(500 minimum) to be taken as a serious user.

of course, i share all underground electronic music so iam not to paranoid about prying eyes seeing my collection.
your circumstances might differ.
dieslugs

Postby jim241 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:15 pm

Thanks for your help, I will take this into consideration. Mostly my stuff will be underground. Garage is my thing. Some of the pop'y stuff from earlier times is owned by the big record labels I beleive.

Thanks though! :D
jim241

Postby abou105 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:54 pm

i have a share folder, files folder and videos folder i just keep a good selection of stuff in my share folder and share the rest with ppl i have in my list, slsk is good like this bur yes alot of ppl on slsk are elitists and will just ban u for not sahring, u can see where they are coming from though.
abou105

Postby beatboyheatboy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:06 am

i keep my files open to everyone but limit uploads to like 1 or 2.

For people on my list it's like 10-15. I add people to my list if they share stuff i want
beatboyheatboy

Postby yaveznodo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:21 am

Share, and limit uploads to something reasonable 1-2 so you can properly give out your shared music to people. I have 40k upload, so I limit uploads 1-2, sharing the 40k over 2 gives anyone downloading a fair shot at getting the file in a reasonable time.
yaveznodo

Postby HTE » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:53 am

With Soulseek I always stick to the genres I'm interested in.

I may have GBs of old raves tapes, tracks and white label house shared but never 'pop'.

That way when people d/l from you, you can usualy have a good browse of their files to see if there's anything that catches your eye.
HTE

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:01 am

:lol: i think jim had his question answered several months ago :P

from the forum rules:

13) Please don't bump/revive old threads without a good reason. The longer a thread has been inactive, the better the reason for bumping it should be.
MrFredPFL

Return to Others