List of OpenNap Clients

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby hexen » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:19 pm

Some things confirmed here:

*Winlop and Lopster are the same.

*A Lopster2 is being worked upon

*Winlop 0.10 is still claimed to be the newest release on the Winlop's download-page, so it confused me a bit. I see the link to the 0.11 release on the front page and indeed, .wsx import is supported

*Old serverlists are often outdated, I agree on that. The problem is that GotNap doesn't cover all servers, so it leaves the responsibility to the user to find more servers

*Floodster, Drumbeat, CatNap...never heard of these clients before - I'll have to look these up in the future. They don't seem to be very friendly clients, but they are ON-clients nonetheless and their negative sides will of course be posted in the list

*Server-based browsing does take up some insane amount of server bandwith. Direct-browsing recommended!

-List updated

As a sidenote: Your opinion and information on different clients is very useful Elly, since you run a server and knows which clients behave good/bad. Don't hesitate to post more on how different clients behave. A network is dependant on good clients as well as good servers in order to function well. This list will be as updated and complete as possible concerning these issues.
hexen

Postby DaBlade » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:35 pm

There is another client. An old, proprietary client, which was dumped by it's author. I don't remember the name. I managed to get it's source code. I backed it up somewhere, and now I can't remember where. I'll look for it. lol
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby Elly » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:12 pm

DaBlade wrote:There is another client. An old, proprietary client, which was dumped by it's author. I don't remember the name. I managed to get it's source code. I backed it up somewhere, and now I can't remember where. I'll look for it. lol

Are you talking about Ziga?
I found out that client can multisource and is still used by 1 or 2 users, it seems abandoned when i look at the dates on sourceforge.

Greetz,
Elly
Elly

Postby DaBlade » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:19 pm

No, I just remembered the name, Osprey. Now if I can just find that source code...

DaBlade

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:21 pm

you can download Napigator v2.08 from PCWorld, and you can get the Napster registry patch from Elmware's bwap/teknap site (another opennap client - but be advised, it's a command-line console client ;) )
MrFredPFL

Postby DaBlade » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:27 pm

Okay, I found it, along with the email the author sent me.

Mick <mick@[NOSPAM!]xcubed.co.uk> Attachment Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 9:00 PM
To: dablade@removed

Hey, good to see some people are interested in this sort of stuff. As requested here is the source, theres 2 builds, June and March 2003, little differences in them. The client at this stage is fully working and not far from completion, not sure if you have used it or not.. still needs transfers, and new method to claim servers as napigator is no longer functional.

Hope you enjoy working with this, If you do revive anything from here id be glad to lend a hand and get back into programming p2p applications. If you do you any code please give me credit lots of hard work went into this project..

Regards, Mick W

Here's the source code. Found it on one of my old backup disks.
http://www.mytempdir.com/430954

DaBlade

Postby tm, » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:27 pm

DKO wrote:Maybe someday someone will rewrite it to use other libraries - but it's probably easier to write a new client from scratch, just copying some features from Lopster.

Or maybe add a Nap plugin to an existing multi-network client. I remember MLdonkey (or some mod of it) reportedly having a Opennap plugin. (but then let's not forget MLdonkey's reputation) KCeasy would be another possibility. But then Napster purists would likely never accept the multi-network approach.
tm,

Postby hexen » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:57 am

Multi-network clients always end up mediocre. They are forced to meet all the demands of the individual networks, which results in a compromise between them. In the end, it's always best to work on one client using one network (or where two collaborating, such as ED2K and KAD).
hexen

Postby DaBlade » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:04 am

I must disagree. While most do, there is one that I've seen is excellent. Apollon. It has access to OpenFT, FastTrack, Ares and Gnutella. Works great.

DaBlade

Postby hexen » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:07 am

DaBlade wrote:I must disagree. While most do, there is one that I've seen is excellent. Apollon. It has access to OpenFT, FastTrack, Ares and Gnutella. Works great.

Probably because the networks you mentioned are more or less the same. They use Supernodes to gather nodes and the transfer-system is very alike (compare that to for instance BT where the file is split into pieces and distributed, or WASTE where supernodes aren't even necessary for the network to be maintained).
hexen

Postby hexen » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:13 am

MrFredPFL wrote:you can download Napigator v2.08 from PCWorld, and you can get the Napster registry patch from Elmware's bwap/teknap site (another opennap client - but be advised, it's a command-line console client ;) )

I managed to get Napster to run just now, works great. I can't get Napigator to fetch a serverlist from GotNap, but manual connecting runs without problem.

Many thanks to you MrFredPFL for providing great information and links! Endless appriciation!

- List updated with Napster
hexen

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:29 pm

hexen wrote:I managed to get Napster to run just now, works great. I can't get Napigator to fetch a serverlist from GotNap, but manual connecting runs without problem.

first, you're welcome - happy to help :)

now - i assume you had already patched your hosts file to redirect requests for napigator.com to gotnap.com - am i right? if not, that's clearly the problem. if you already have done this, then i'm going to guess there's a problem with the hosts file entry/entries :?
Last edited by MrFredPFL on Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrFredPFL

Postby hexen » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:36 pm

Yep, patched the Host-file...

81.171.97.10 client2.napigator.com
81.171.97.10 http://www.napigator.com

correct?
hexen

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:45 pm

try adding one more line for just napigator.com (without the www) - i don't know if that will help or not. also, a reboot may or may not be helpful too.
MrFredPFL

Postby hexen » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:01 pm

127.0.0.1 localhost

81.171.97.10 client2.napigator.com

81.171.97.10 http://www.napigator.com

81.171.97.10 napigator.com

Napigator reports: "Error: download failed...the connection with the server was reset"

I think we'll leave it here, as it doesn't seem to work. The point is that people will be able to use the Napster client to connect to servers like they used to. Apart from the small amount of features, it is a perfect client for older and slower computers to get into OpenNap.
hexen

Postby hexen » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:28 pm

Just ran Osprey and added it to the list.
I uploaded the client to a ftp-server, so that people may access it after mytemp has removed it (according to their website 21 days from upload date)

Thanks a lot for the file + info DaBlade!
hexen

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:37 pm

i'd like to correct an oversight of mine, and hexen, if you could add this warning to the list, i'd sure appreciate it.

Napigator, the program that allows the Napster client to connect to opennap, is an aggressive popup generator. pop-up blocking is strongly recommended - without it, you might never see your desktop again ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby hexen » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:17 pm

Really? I never got any pop ups myself, but I also only ran it for a few minutes. I take your word on this MrFredPFL, and update the list with new information.
Cheers!
hexen

Postby DaBlade » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:37 am

hexen wrote:Just ran Osprey and added it to the list.
I uploaded the client to a ftp-server, so that people may access it after mytemp has removed it (according to their website 21 days from upload date)

Thanks a lot for the file + info DaBlade!

No problem. It's a shame to let source code go to waste.
I guess since the original author dumped it, it may be possible to release it under an open source license now, and restart development on it. You know, it could be the first Slyck based software project. Would be cool.

Oh, and speaking of WASTE, it isn't the only fully decentralised network. There are lots of them, GNUNet, Nodezilla, Rodi...

DaBlade

Postby LaX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:41 am

A slyck based project would be cool. Whos good in programming here?
LaX

Postby DaBlade » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:09 am

iNaNimAtE and Ooble as far as I know

DaBlade

Postby Mrs. 2p » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:10 am

haven't seen either for quite some time now...
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby LaX » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:20 am

Havent met iNaNimAtE at all and I've only seen Ooble on LP2P.
LaX

Postby nms04 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:18 am

nice list ;) Litle info: from what i can remember AudioGnome is down since over a year now :P
nms04

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:55 am

nms04 wrote:nice list ;) Litle info: from what i can remember AudioGnome is down since over a year now :P

what exactly do you mean by "is down" ???

the client still functions properly, and their website still does too.

the only change to audioGnome is that it needs a patch for the windows hosts file to automatically retrieve a server list - since the demise of napigator, any and all programs which used that service which vanished one day without warning needed either a patch or a change of some kind. but aG is not "down" in any sense i am aware of - it works as well as it ever has. btw, i've always felt it has the best looking chat of any opennap client ;)

ps: anyone interested can download the hosts file patch here.
MrFredPFL

PreviousNext

Return to Others