Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

List of OpenNap Clients

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Wa_Bally » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:36 am

I have had no joy in getting Osprey to run..:cry:..even though I have moved the "Hotbutton.ocx" as advised.I keep getting a "MSWINSCK.ocx" error..Anyone got any tips for me??
Wa_Bally

Postby hexen » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:50 am

Wa_Bally wrote:I have had no joy in getting Osprey to run..:cry:..even though I have moved the "Hotbutton.ocx" as advised.I keep getting a "MSWINSCK.ocx" error..Anyone got any tips for me??

Are you sure you used the June-folder, and not the March one? Because for me this client works without the problem you mentioned.
Obviously it's about the Winsock, but no idea what it means. Tried moving all the files in the June-folder to the Bin-folder? Also try the March one as a last resort.
I'm not very knowledged when it comes to programming in general, so I suggest you try the suggestions above - and if the client still refuses to work - move on to another one. DaBlade might give you the email address to the developer of the software even, which may or may not provide with some information on this particular issue.
Osprey is a mediocre client and obviously in many cases half-done. If you're looking for a standardized and clean ON-client; both WinMX, SunshineUN, Napster and even iNap are great alternatives. I hope this helps!
hexen

Postby Wa_Bally » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:05 am

Thanx for the tips hexen,I shall give them a go....
Wa_Bally

Postby abou105 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:00 am

so which client would be recomended, im not so fussy on multiple server connection |(or should i be?)

im just looking to give open nap a go since people keep telling me its a huge sort of forgotten resource.
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:55 pm

hi abou - i'm gonna assume you're on windows. if this is true, i'll make a couple of recommendations:

winlop or winmx

pros and cons:

MX is the simplest for a n00b to learn to get started with, but has no direct support for automatically obtaining a server list. you can get a current .wsx file (server list) from http://www.gotnap.com which u can then import into mx to populate the server list. to use opennap, you do not need any of the competing patches for mx - those relate solely to the mx peer network.

winlop is a more sophisticated client, and is preferred to MX by many server owners - the downside is it has a steeper learning curve, and has stability issues on many windows systems due to its use of a GTK library which the developer agrees leaves a bit to be desired ;)

ps: when i say n00b, i specifically mean someone new to opennap :)
MrFredPFL

Postby abou105 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:33 am

MrFredPFL wrote:hi abou - i'm gonna assume you're on windows. if this is true, i'll make a couple of recommendations:

winlop or winmx

pros and cons:

MX is the simplest for a n00b to learn to get started with, but has no direct support for automatically obtaining a server list. you can get a current .wsx file (server list) from http://www.gotnap.com which u can then import into mx to populate the server list. to use opennap, you do not need any of the competing patches for mx - those relate solely to the mx peer network.

winlop is a more sophisticated client, and is preferred to MX by many server owners - the downside is it has a steeper learning curve, and has stability issues on many windows systems due to its use of a GTK library which the developer agrees leaves a bit to be desired ;)

ps: when i say n00b, i specifically mean someone new to opennap :)

Cheers for the tips dude, i thought that mx was banned from most servers ?

I guess i could try out both and see. I have noticed recently that the richness of files on soulseek is deterierating and from speaking to long time users the feel it has been a dramatic drop so i am looking for something that wouldnt be an abvious choice for many users like soulseek was and open nap seems to be the closest thing next to irc i can think of.
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby nms04 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:41 am

MrFredPFL wrote:
nms04 wrote:nice list ;) Litle info: from what i can remember AudioGnome is down since over a year now :P

what exactly do you mean by "is down" ???

the client still functions properly, and their website still does too.

the only change to audioGnome is that it needs a patch for the windows hosts file to automatically retrieve a server list - since the demise of napigator, any and all programs which used that service which vanished one day without warning needed either a patch or a change of some kind. but aG is not "down" in any sense i am aware of - it works as well as it ever has. btw, i've always felt it has the best looking chat of any opennap client ;)

ps: anyone interested can download the hosts file patch here.

ups hehe ok thx :) from wha ti could remember i tried to acess audiognomes website a while ago, but their website seemed to be down :-/ now everything seems to work again ;)
nms04

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:23 am

abou: i think it would be more accurate to say that MX is banned from some servers, not most servers. the bottom line is that while many server owners do not like mx, they also realize that without it, they would have very few users ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby hexen » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:02 pm

abou105:

Considering you're new to ON, a simple and easy client such as WinMX or SunshineUN (find serverlist at http://www.gotnap.com)would be something worth trying. Depending on what kind of content you'll want to seek out, you may try public serverlists or private servers.
Winlop is recommended as a permanent ON-client and should not be a problem for someone already familiar with the interface and functions of most filesharing programs. Personally I run XNAp, due to its richness of features, stability and ability to connect to many servers at the same time.

MrFredPFL:

WinMX is supposed to be banned by some servers, but talking from personal experience on that area, I am able to connect to 20-30 servers without problem, using some public serverlists. This is more than enough to find satisfactory content. I agree with you; the "WinMX is a banned client" is a hype and it should be noted that apart from Lopster, there are very few ON-clients that do not carry some inherent flaws.
hexen

Postby nigel123 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:55 am

äbou105 wrote:Cheers for the tips dude, i thought that mx was banned from most servers ?

..in fact WinMx users are welcome on our network
nigel123

Postby The_Ruffneck » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 am

abou105 wrote:I have noticed recently that the richness of files on soulseek is deterierating and from speaking to long time users the feel it has been a dramatic drop so i am looking for something that wouldnt be an abvious choice for many users like soulseek was and open nap seems to be the closest thing next to irc i can think of.

Maybe they moved to the new test server of soulseek? not all of them maybe just some of the ones with good shares.Soulseeks main problem is that awful search engine , i think me being on 256k dsl and sharing to all i keep returning results for searches and it is slowing my available bandwith with which to conduct searches - if that makes sense.
The_Ruffneck

Postby abou105 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:56 am

The_Ruffneck wrote:
abou105 wrote:I have noticed recently that the richness of files on soulseek is deterierating and from speaking to long time users the feel it has been a dramatic drop so i am looking for something that wouldnt be an abvious choice for many users like soulseek was and open nap seems to be the closest thing next to irc i can think of.

Maybe they moved to the new test server of soulseek? not all of them maybe just some of the ones with good shares.Soulseeks main problem is that awful search engine , i think me being on 256k dsl and sharing to all i keep returning results for searches and it is slowing my available bandwith with which to conduct searches - if that makes sense.

nah im using the new test server, thats why i said about other long time users i think its migration, slsk is being pushed in to the mainstream and alot of users (myself included) do not like using these such networks (ares is another example used to be brilliant and once the secreat was out the big shrers jumped ship)

I think open nap is like the forgoten network now (hell i sure forgot about it) and i dotn beleive it is big on the hitlist for the cartel groups so i wanna use it, plus theres the whole im bored and wanna learn sumfin new lol.
abou105

Postby The_Ruffneck » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:14 pm

Isn't there a better selection/community on the original SS still or has the test got alot of users now?

And i would like to use napster 2 6.0 again but theres no way im downloading and installing napigator on my system.
The_Ruffneck

Utatane

Postby Fuurin Kazan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:49 pm

Hexen wrote on Utatane:
># English version of the client is hard to get and does not keep up with the Japanese development

The English version of 0.253 is almost identical with 1.043. I have yet to spot a difference. Some Japanese users even prefer the older version.

># Interface and functions do not vary much from WinMX 3.x

Utatane has the ability to autostart users who you exchange with regularly, and the ability to save search results. Also many OpenNap servers ban WinMX 3.x because of the inability to sign in or problems with ULs/DLs.

># All uploads must be started manually, making it a potential leeching-client
In a later post, Elly also makes the same claim:
>Utatane (it's a leechclient, one has to allow ppl manually to start an upload, all others stay in queue endlessly)

This is not entirely true. The default settings in the English versions of 0.253 I have seen allow automatic uploads. The more recent Japanese version 1.043 is initially set to allow Auto Users, but not regular users to download automatically. You just add a number to the allow uploads to regular users box to change the setting. When everyone on the network has it set this way, this actually works as an anti-leeching feature, because people with files will start each other, and then upgrade trusted partners to Auto User status. Leeches can't get anything.

The etiquette on Japanese servers too is that you will leave your client on until all your uploads are complete. The system must work. There are usually 2000+ users, 8 million files and over 2 petabytes of content available on Zerosen, the largest OpenNap server in Japan.

An improved English translation of 0.253 with an expanded help file can be downloaded from Rillonap.
Fuurin Kazan

Previous

Return to Others