Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Using Filetopia

Discuss all other networks not listed
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Using Filetopia

Postby Progz » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:15 pm

I was curious now that this is like anonymous file sharing program is like anonymous is a IP blocker needed? Like...am I safe to say I dont need one.?
Progz

Postby notbob » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:47 pm

it isn't anonymous

at all

it has some useless encryption, and at one point it allowed the use of proxies (which they didn't provide)

it's crap, use a p2p that has files and users instead
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby Drake » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:56 pm

Are you sure it isn't anonymous? According to their Website, users can retain anonymity if they use the bouncer feature.
Drake

Postby no_dammagE » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:32 pm

there is actually no point in bouncers - they log everything and even if not, ISPs log everything. If the bouncer is busted, you are busted, too, unless you are 100% sure that no single computer between you and the bouncer (including these both endpoints) log.
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby tm, » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:08 pm

x-bob is correct, the bouncer is non-functional. The Bouncer feature is a relic from Filetopia version 2, and was never even updated to work with version 3, even though the bouncer settings remain in the 'preferences' field in v.3. Although FT 3.0 was released in 2002, Version 2 was kept online (as a separate network) until a few months ago.

The bouncer feature was never popular, and it seemed that no one used it, other than perhaps to try out briefly. The bouncer was basically a proxy server that a FT user installed, which allowed a friend to log in (password protected) and connect through the proxy bouncer. Like all user-hosted proxies, the available bandwidth to both proxy host and hosted was cut in half. Since the two people involved had to coordinate to make it work, it was hardly anonymous - since it was up to the bouncer host not to rat out his friend for getting him in trouble.

Like encryption, Filetopia's bouncer function was a revolutionary feature for it's time (Filetopia is over 5 years old) but much better methods exist today for connecting P2P anonymously through host proxies, such as I2P and Tor, and unlike the Filetopia bouncer, Tor and I2P work with many, if not most P2P networks.

I've always felt that Filetopia was the most under-rated P2P client, so its worth trying out for its many unique features - but it's not for users only interested in a P2P with a high degree of anonymity.
tm,

Postby Progz » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:59 am

So it really not what it is? Because I was talking to someone in it once and they said your isp doesnt even know what your downloading.
Progz

Postby tm, » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:06 am

Progz wrote:So it really not what it is? Because I was talking to someone in it once and they said your isp doesnt even know what your downloading.

Encryption is not the same thing as anonymity. Encryption makes the data transfer confidential, so that no one in between the 2 end users (such as an ISP) can read the data stream, but encryption does not hide one's IP address, as a proxy/bouncer does by substituting its own IP.
tm,

Postby jipp3r » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:15 am

What ive never got with the whole anonymous p2p thing is that there are lots of what ifs, proxies, bouncer and the other features of filetopia must give some protection. But people always come out with things like

If the bouncer is busted, you are busted, too, unless you are 100% sure that no single computer between you and the bouncer (including these both endpoints) log.

But if you are 100% sure doesnt that mean you have full protection?..

Anyhoos, i never understood why filetopia didnt just strip down their client and get rid of the protection features considering the only real protection you have is sharing in communities and with people you know.
jipp3r

Postby Philweed » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:12 am

Well Filetopia is encrypted, So i cant see how anybody without the puclic key nows what you are sending. So the isp will only see you getting and sending a bunch of data wich he doesnt know what it is. Isnt a bank connection safe to. And it uses the same encryption. But filetopia isnt the best p2p. But for me its more a community where i like to hang out and chat. I hardly ever dl from ft. Although i upload all the time.
The Few The Proud The Filetopians. Check out http://www.filetopia.org
Philweed

Postby notbob » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:51 am

Philweed wrote:Well Filetopia is encrypted, So i cant see how anybody without the puclic key nows what you are sending. So the isp will only see you getting and sending a bunch of data wich he doesnt know what it is. Isnt a bank connection safe to. And it uses the same encryption. But filetopia isnt the best p2p. But for me its more a community where i like to hang out and chat. I hardly ever dl from ft. Although i upload all the time.

nobody is intercepting anything anyway. nobody is sniffing packets to sue people, or logging traffic at the ISP level

the people working for the RIAA/MPAA are using client software and initiating direct communication with your computer

encryption is useless if the RIAA is the guy on the other end getting your file list
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby Philweed » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:47 pm

yup notbob thats right. But then again i wonder where the riaa would look first on a network with millions of people they could sue or filetopia where it has not more then 10000 regurlars. But then again ive heard that filetopia is amongst the top ten terrorist threats for america loooooooooooool. I feel safer there then anywhere else. But if they want to get you they will.
The Few The Proud The Filetopians. Check out http://www.filetopia.org
Philweed

Encryption

Postby Pirre » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:45 am

"nobody is intercepting anything anyway. nobody is sniffing packets to sue people, or logging traffic at the ISP level"

as far i know a lot of country's have a law that prevents the use of evidence in court gathered by commiting a illegal act like for example evidence taken in a house search without a warrant.
Now bearing that in mind isn't downloading of a copyrighted file "illegal" and if it is, they can use all client what thy want , without a log taken from your isp showing bit by bit what you transfer i dont see how they going to do it but am not a laywer

But if this is the case and personaly i do believe it is , is encryption or our only line of defence , as indeed hiding ip's is simple a no go , you will have always a "last" ip in the the chain whatever system you use and so its always traceble , proxy's , bouncers , private networks routing packets etc are looking nice but don't give you real protection i think :wink: my 2 cents lol
Pirre

Postby bitz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:41 pm

There is i2p and its filesharing clients, you cannot get more safe unless you are using something like freenet which is extremely slow.

Filetopia and es5 are both old, they are not safe and certainly not anonymous.

To really point out how strong i2p already is. Its filesharing clients would be what riaa employees use to do illegal filesharing safely. Maybe that gives you some small idea just how cool i2p's networking really is.
bitz

Postby Pirre » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:53 pm

thx for the tip i looked @ it before and like any other outhere its not anonimus, it routes the packets to its own "private routing system" but the end ip in the chain will be reveiled by the ipheader of the packet so instead of beeing sued to sending your own files you are for sending somebody others files but atleast this one uses encryption :)
Pirre

Postby pimpinaman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:58 pm

....nothing is annonymous on the internet...simple fact.
pimpinaman

FT is goin down anyway, aint it?

Postby RZArekta » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:20 pm

been out of FT for a year and a half (cannot connect or reserve a Nick), and am still missing the community.. from the site it seems that many more people cannot connect.. i wish to go back to that community, i feel lost..

aint no better p2p than ft/tesla.
RZArekta

version 3.04's are not all the same

Postby tm, » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:11 am

RZArekta wrote:been out of FT for a year and a half (cannot connect or reserve a Nick), and am still missing the community.. from the site it seems that many more people cannot connect.. i wish to go back to that community, i feel lost..

aint no better p2p than ft/tesla.

Although Filetopia has had the same version number (v.3.04) since 2002, the node IPs do change from older 3.04 versions. Anyone who has had Filetopia installed but has not connected to the network for over a year will not be able to connect anymore because of outdated node IP addresses that still exist in the configuration folder.

This is why you must download and install the CURRENT copy from the website.
tm,

Re: version 3.04's are not all the same

Postby RZArekta » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:11 am

tm, wrote:Although Filetopia has had the same version number (v.3.04) since 2002, the node IPs do change from older 3.04 versions. Anyone who has had Filetopia installed but has not connected to the network for over a year will not be able to connect anymore because of outdated node IP addresses that still exist in the configuration folder.

This is why you must download and install the CURRENT copy from the website.

I always dl the installation file from filetopia.org every month but no joy.. there's a msg bb there and seems like may peeps are not connecting and the ft people never reply :(

i'll keep trying or find another p2p app that works the same way, any ideas?

ty
RZArekta

Postby tm, » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:01 am

The Filetopia network is still working, but the network at under 2500 is the lowest I've seen it in a long time.

What worked for me once a couple of years ago when I was in the same situation was installing Tesla to get onto the network, then asking directions in a chatroom. There are some configuration files that need to be kept current - I think it is server.dat and nodes.dat. I got fresh copies of those files from a chatroom buddy, then put them in the Filetopia folder. Filetopia connected right away after that.

Unfortunately, there is no other P2P that works quite like Filetopia. It was always truly unique. Soulseek, Ares, WinMx, and Direct Connect, are built around chatrooms, as well as IRC, of course.
tm,

Return to Others