Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Viewing new posts

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Viewing new posts

Postby Mrs. 2p » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:09 pm

Well, as you may have noticed (I hope! ;)) I haven't been around for some time. While the main reason is that I've been extremely busy, and out of town 3 weekends out of 4, another reason is that I didn't want to miss any unread posts. I had this problem often before, and it annoyed me, but it has been a particular nuisance this past month.

When I log in, the topics and forums with new posts are marked in orange. If, at that point, I am interrupted and need to leave my computer, or shut down FF, those topics and forums are back to grey when I log back in. So I miss them.

This has often discouraged me from logging in, since I'm a nosey gossip, and like to know EVERYTHING that is going on. Rude, I know, but that's me!

I've always wanted to suggest to put in an option for saving unread posts information, maybe right next to the "mark all posts read" option. That way, when I log back in, the site will remember that I haven't read such and such post, and still mark it as "new".

I'm no programmer, so I've no idea... but would this be at all possible?
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby iNaNimAtE » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:24 pm

This annoys me also--that's why I only log in when I plan to post.

With PHP, anything is possible; to answer your question, yes this is a possible feature to implement.

And until then...
http://www.slyck.com/forums/search.php? ... d=newposts
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:35 am

Yep, that is annoying!

I usually use the search feature to list all posts in chronological order if that happens, and then work through from the last post I remember seeing to the latest post.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Mrs. 2p » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:00 pm

:idea: that's actually a good idea! been here for almost a year, and never thought of that... :lol:

...still a "save your unread posts" feature would be nice... waddya think ray? wedding present? :wink:
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Mrs. 2p

Postby iNaNimAtE » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:13 pm

Have you tried that link?
iNaNimAtE

Postby Mrs. 2p » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:20 pm

yup! and it won't do the trick, it just gives me a list of the "colored" posts, which I can already get by going through the forums. ...and it refreshes when I log out and log back in, so I can't keep track of what I missed *during* the last visit, only what I've missed *since* the last visit...
Mrs. 2p

Postby iNaNimAtE » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:43 pm

Eh... That's a drag.

Guess you are going to have to search by chronological order like HouseCrowd suggested.
iNaNimAtE

Postby SlyckChuck » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:43 am

Buzz Ray. As you would figure 2p, he is very accomodating and welcomes new suggestions. :idea:
SlyckChuck

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:05 am

yeah, well, I wouldn't want to be too pushy... I'm hoping he'll see this.... :)
Mrs. 2p

Postby SlyckRay » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:06 am

i'll start looking into it!
SlyckRay

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:12 am

Mrs. 2p

Postby tm, » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:17 am

iNaNimAtE, that's a very handy feature, but how do you search for new posts on the search page, other than typing in "slyck.com/forums/search.php?search_id=newposts" in your browser?

I wonder if this works on other forum software other than PHPBB?

2pstudent, it's funny that the same thing often happens to me - on a couple of other forums (fortunately they are very sparce, being private, closed forums) I keep putting off logging in until I have enough time to go through all the unread posts. ...then days turn into weeks ... turn into months ...

and welcome back to Slyck, 2pstudent :)
tm,

Postby Ooble » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:02 am

Welcome back, 2p!

I've been wanting a feature like that to be added to phpBB for about a year now. The problem is that it'd be tricky to implement.
[code:1]char str[20];
scanf("%19s", &str);
if (!strcmpi(str, "Hello, world!"))
printf("Hello, programmer.\n");[/code:1]
Ooble

Location: Wouldn't you like to know, SlyckTom? Just so you can sell my address to the RIAA? No chance.

Postby iNaNimAtE » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:30 pm

tm wrote:iNaNimAtE, that's a very handy feature, but how do you search for new posts on the search page, other than typing in "slyck.com/forums/search.php?search_id=newposts" in your browser?

That feature is, by default, included with phpBB. I am not sure where the link is on subSilver (as it looks like the theme you are using is simply a mod of that), but I pulled it off my own forums.

It is a link you click on, not a way of searching using search.php.

tm wrote:I wonder if this works on other forum software other than PHPBB?

Well, if the software provides it, then yes, it would; it isn't like you can just use 'search.php?search_id=newposts' on IPB or something, though.
iNaNimAtE

Return to Tell us what you think