Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Firefox 3.5.1 wont work on this site.

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Firefox 3.5.1 wont work on this site.

Postby kosh2 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:06 am

I am unable to log into this forum using Firefox (latest version) and yet on the same computer I can use IE8 fine.

What seems to happen is that when I put my password in and press Login, I briefly get a screen which says sucessful but then within 5 seconds I am logged out again.

One time, when I had tried to log in too much, I got a screen asking for the confirmation code and yet there was no confirmation code on screen.

There no error messages. I have recently completely reinstalled Vista so this is a fresh system I am using. I have cleared the cookies as well with no luck.
kosh2

Re: Firefox 3.5.1 wont work on this site.

Postby Fartingbob » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:57 am

Using 3.5.1 here and all is fine, it kept my cookies when i upgraded so i havent actually logged out and manually logged in yet though.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby multivariable » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:11 am

No problems here, either
multivariable

Postby HouseCrowd » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:35 am

Are you logging into http://slyck.com instead of http://www.slyck.com ?

I seem to remember people reporting that logging in without the www sometimes causes cookie issues.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby kosh2 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:42 pm

Not sure why but running CCleaner has done the trick. Bearing in mind that this is fresh install and I have not clogged this up with much more than Office, firefox, thunderbird and the usual suspects(adobe etc) not clear why. But there you go.
kosh2

Postby HEAT84 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:13 am

Since the OP solved his problem, why doesn't FF's automatic updater update to major versions. I'm still running 3.0 something and it was updated yesterday about the same time I found out 3.5 existed. I was curious to see what was in the update and I saw a link to downllad 3.5 at Mozilla.org.

I noticed that for 3.0 too but I figured going from 2.whatever to 3.0 was too big an update for the auto updater.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby Fartingbob » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:58 am

HEAT84 wrote:Since the OP solved his problem, why doesn't FF's automatic updater update to major versions. I'm still running 3.0 something and it was updated yesterday about the same time I found out 3.5 existed. I was curious to see what was in the update and I saw a link to downllad 3.5 at Mozilla.org.

I noticed that for 3.0 too but I figured going from 2.whatever to 3.0 was too big an update for the auto updater.

They do after a while. Think its like why non important windows updates are usually sent through WU a while after they are available on the site. Eases stress on the servers (which for mozilla must take a very large chunk of there finances) and if they discover a major bug then it doesnt effect 100% of users right away.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:14 am

Fartingbob wrote:
HEAT84 wrote:Since the OP solved his problem, why doesn't FF's automatic updater update to major versions. I'm still running 3.0 something and it was updated yesterday about the same time I found out 3.5 existed. I was curious to see what was in the update and I saw a link to downllad 3.5 at Mozilla.org.

They do after a while. Think its like why non important windows updates are usually sent through WU a while after they are available on the site. Eases stress on the servers (which for mozilla must take a very large chunk of there finances) and if they discover a major bug then it doesnt effect 100% of users right away.

I think it's mostly about compatibility and choice. Major updates usually contain new features that can conflict with add-ons. It takes time for the writers of add-ons to catch up and produce new compatible versions. Also, some people might not like the new features, or prefer to wait until they have more time to try them out. Minor updates, on the other hand, usually just consist of fixes and security updates, which rarely cause any compatibly issues or make any significant changes to user interface.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Return to Tell us what you think