Page 1 of 1

Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:56 pm
by James R. Bath
Can we at least limit the entertainment news to what's at least loosely connected to file sharing? Who cares what's happening in theaters or to Tom Brady or Narnia if it doesn't even involve the Internet or some new DRM? Tell the fanboys and fangirls to go to whatever forums cater to tools for stars and studios. You keep giving in like this and you're a step away from Britney searches and chat dominating Slyck the way they do every other popular news source. All you have to do is look at those discussions and you'll see its nothing but fan chat.

Here are some good examples of what should be appearing in the entertainment news section that are presently scattered throughout Slyck:

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:04 pm
by Fartingbob
While its true that most posts there (and there arent actually that many) could just be moved into the lounge.
but i have a better idea.
If YOU don't like that particular forum or a threads title DON'T GO IN THERE. Problem solved.

The truth is these days there isnt that much P2P news. The other stuff is what keeps the whole forum ticking over.

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:12 pm
by MrFredPFL
it seems to me that movies, albums, and tv shows are siamese twins of filesharing. without them, what would people be sharing? yes, there's other stuff that people share, but those things account for the lion's share of p2p traffic. isn't it natural for people to want to talk about them?

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:49 pm
by James R. Bath
Fartingbob wrote:While its true that most posts there (and there arent actually that many) could just be moved into the lounge.
but i have a better idea.
If YOU don't like that particular forum or a threads title DON'T GO IN THERE. Problem solved.

I don't. Problem not solved. That doesn't mean I want to be distracted by stuff I assume, because it's on Slyck, has some connection to file sharing.

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:59 pm
by bmh67wa
Since the Entertainment section is located under the Lounge, I have always assumed that it is a "free for all" area like the Video Lounge section is. I look for the news on the main page or at the top section of the forum. Very few things in the Lounge or the Video Lounge section pertain to P2P, internet, or anything else that Slyck represents. Why all of a sudden is the Entertainment section so important that it has to cover a specific set of topics? I agree with Bob on this one. If you don't like it, don't read it. I have absolutely no interest in the UK Computer Games Lawsuit Forum because I don't live in the UK but that's no reason for me to gripe about it. You can't please everybody but this place tries darned hard to do so by appealing to everyone in any way that it can. Appreciate what you enjoy about Slyck. Ignore the rest. You are in the minority on this issue and I think that this won't go very much farther than this here thread.

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:07 pm
by James R. Bath
MrFredPFL wrote:it seems to me that movies, albums, and tv shows are siamese twins of filesharing. without them, what would people be sharing? yes, there's other stuff that people share, but those things account for the lion's share of p2p traffic. isn't it natural for people to want to talk about them?

Maybe natural on last.fm, IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, etc., but not a file-sharing forum. People share other things, like games, books, and programs, and there's talk about the file sharing clients and networks to use, legal battles. Is your next argument going to be that sports is a siamese twin too? There's a clear distinction between fan chatter and where to share and find files and what programs to use to do so, what programs to avoid, what sites to avoid, and various other technologies.

To simplify: if it's about some entertainer successfully using file sharing, then of course it's a twin. Otherwise, its like arguing that Slyck should be discussing what TV show is best and what color they'd like their favorite star to wear. :roll: Start up a partner site and call it schlock.com.

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:13 pm
by James R. Bath
bmh67wa wrote:Since the Entertainment section is located under the Lounge, I have always assumed that it is a "free for all" area like the Video Lounge section is. I look for the news on the main page or at the top section of the forum. Very few things in the Lounge or the Video Lounge section pertain to P2P, internet, or anything else that Slyck represents. Why all of a sudden is the Entertainment section so important that it has to cover a specific set of topics?

Exactly. I know you want to take your argument in a different direction, but you just confirmed my point. Nothing from the Lounge and video lounge appear on the front page. When somebody posted the thundercats trailer, that didn't pop up as part of the news and frequent discussion section on the front page. It was relegated to where it should be, buried under the bridge with the trolls.

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:15 pm
by Paladwyn
Actually...looking at the categories, these topics are in the appropriate location. You just want filesharing...then goto the filesharing forums on slyck and read those. The Blizzard thing is in the Tech/Other category and not under filesharing. So in all, it's just fine...just because it shows up on the listed topics on the side and front page, doesn't mean it's all filesharing related.

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:00 pm
by zbeast
There is not that much p2p news as it directly relates to entertainment.
The movie studios unlike the RIAA is keeping a very low profile.
They shut down a few sites here and there, have letters sent to a few file traders here and there and
keep hardware manufactures cowering in the dark from making video hardware that will let you
share or even view "shared content".

If you limited the entertainment group just to that news.. you may have a message every two weeks.

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:58 pm
by James R. Bath
zbeast wrote:If you limited the entertainment group just to that news.. you may have a message every two weeks.

I was able to fill in 6 (shown in the first post) just from the current news that shows on Slyck's front page. There's enough quantity without sacrificing quality for the sake of something to chat about.

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:08 pm
by Paladwyn
Just hit the file-sharing news tab..and filesharing news only shows up.

While I agree that sometimes some stories get...misplaced, I believe that the industry that revolves around filesharing is just as important.

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:20 pm
by James R. Bath
Paladwyn wrote:Actually...looking at the categories, these topics are in the appropriate location. You just want filesharing...then goto the filesharing forums on slyck and read those. The Blizzard thing is in the Tech/Other category and not under filesharing. So in all, it's just fine...just because it shows up on the listed topics on the side and front page, doesn't mean it's all filesharing related.

To be fair, I stated "loosely connected to file sharing". I think you're overspecializing my point. Besides, has anyone on here ever posted a case where someone on some phone party/chat line had the cops called on them for making a suicide statement or even threatening other callers? That's equivalent to the Blizzard thing, and the only difference is that it happened with an online game instead. Your case I don't have a problem with more because it's a privacy concern and WTF is some game service rep doing calling the cops because someone says they're going to kill themselves? Should we be concerned about IRC police?

Anyway, that's far more tech than Brady's wedding announcement or some POS film like Narnia losing its sugar daddy. Now if Brady had announced the wedding video was going to be shared or even just put on a video site, that would qualify to me as fitting entertainment news for Slyck. Anything less is just recycled trash from the celebrity news sections.

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:00 pm
by Paladwyn
Yeah...I get you about the wedding thing indeed, seemed out of place :D Blizzard thing...probably be in the entertainment section, as it really doesn't deal with software...but it does happen in a game, and thus makes it's debut-ish.

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:22 am
by rsrikanth05
Hey did you realise that the Entertainment and Tech FORUMs DO NOT come under the filesharing catagoruy???????

BESIDES: Not having anything apart from P2P turns away people...

And that Narnia article was THE ONLY news that I have ever posted.

So there is no entertainment fanboying going around...

Re: Controlling the Entertainment fanboys & fangirls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:28 am
by Monalisa
Everybody thinks in his/her own way, so we can't stop them but one thing can be done that their threads should be moved to Lounge forum