Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Links not going to threads?

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Links not going to threads?

Postby JolietJake » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:06 pm

For a while now when i click on a random news story link i get the front page of the forums instead of the actual thread. Sometimes if i keep trying it will eventually find the thread and take me to it, but sometimes i can never get it to load. This has been happening for probably a month or more.
You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand.
JolietJake

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:38 am

Odd ...

Which browser are you using?
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:27 pm

i think piX sent him a copy of his time-traveling IE ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby JolietJake » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:53 pm

I'm using firefox. It happens on both my laptop and desktop.
JolietJake

Postby IceCube » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:26 pm

That's particularly odd since I'm using FireFox 2 on my desktop and 1.5 on my laptop and both seem to work nicely. :?
IceCube

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:39 pm

Does it happen on any other (similar) sites, and does it happen if you connect your laptop to another internet connection (e.g a friend's or at work, etc)? I'm wondering if it's your ISP caching web pages ...
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby JolietJake » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:47 pm

No this is the only site it does it on. I've tried connecting to other close by wireless networks and hat doesn't make any difference. It really is odd, just does it randomly.
JolietJake

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:47 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:i think piX sent him a copy of his time-traveling IE ;)

:lol:
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby Artie » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:12 pm

I can maybe shed some light on the situation.

I've experienced the same annoyance in the past, but since it hasn't been too problematic for me, I just pretty much ignore it.

Why it occurs is multi-faceted and a bit hard to explain, but basically it concerns the 'Referer' header. If the site which gets linked to has hyperlinking or hotlinking blocked, the return code can generate a 302 redirection and gives the location for that redirection, which, in this case, is either back to Slyck.com itself or the front page of the clicked-on site.

I'm trying to think of how to explain this easily, but I can't, lol. I know we all have a jokingly good time blaming IE for this kind of stuff, but this is caused by whatever site is being clicked on. The browser (FF, Opera, IE) is only doing its job at automatically going to where the redirection takes it.

Now, the reason as to why certain members of Slyck don't experience the same problem is because they prevent the Referer info from being passed along. An option within the browser or third-party plugin/software could prevent it. Also, going through an anonymous proxy will stop it too. Other than that, I can't think of any other practical solution, except for using Javascript on Slyck, but since many here have JS disabled, that won't really be practical.

The only quick way to get around the problem is to copy and paste a phpBB hyperlink within a new window.
Artie

Postby JolietJake » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:59 pm

Well, that explains it at least. IT happens every day for me though, gets annoying fast.
JolietJake

Return to Tell us what you think