Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Suggestion for a "Sticky"

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Suggestion for a "Sticky"

Postby ironhorse » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:32 am

I'm kind of a newbie to the whole torrent thing and I'm basically dangling my toes in the water. I'm eager to learn and also to help, and if I can make a suggestion, I think we need a Newbie Section with stickies in it that would help beginners to use torrents as well as host them.

Once you've downloaded a torrent, a set of simple layman's language set of guidelines on how to help host (seed?) that torrent should be available. And of course, it'd be a section where those with experience and the patience to teach could in fact help expand the torrent community.

I've been able to figure out how to download a torrent, but the myriad of file types that are packed in a torrent can be confusing and intimidating. Lets say you want to DL an APP and you have a single RAR file. Once you unrar the file, do you simply burn all the files to a cd/dvd? Or do you need to add any outside files to make the pc think its an OEM cd that's being installed?

Likewise, additional newbie stickies on setting up and managing your hardware and software should be included in one central section.

This is just a suggestion, and I hope that those of you who are inexperienced will chime in and use the poll question. (edit: apparently I can't activate the poll function where I would ask the question:

Do We Need A Newbie Section with "Stickies"?
ironhorse

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:55 am

The guides (left hand menu on every page) covers the basics pretty well. Really there isnt a huge amount to learn. Maybe a note on torrent etiquette, private trackers and uploading new torrents.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby Nutty-Slack » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:20 am

Those issues (extracting, burning, file-types) aren't really specific to file-sharing.
There's virtually no end to the amount of information you can find on any of those subjects just from 'Googling', as it were.

I can't speak officially but I think that Slyck.com is provided as a news and information gathering/discussion site rather than as a training camp for potential media pirates.

Obviously asking the odd question is no problem. :wink:

Quibus Societas Nobis Intemporaliter
Nutty-Slack

Return to Tell us what you think