Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

OMG WTF 111 Slyck 2.0?

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby curzlgt » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:46 am

fair enough, but I'm not convinced that revenues won't be adversly affected. The 10%ish of us who participate, and the 1%ish that contributs could care less about page views and click through, but the 99%+ that generate the adsence dollars are what pay the bills.......
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby IceCube » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:54 am

I actually know nothing about adsense, but my guess is that it's just users who click on those and close the windows afterwards. Thats revenue that goes to Slyck to pay for the bandwidth for whenever we end up on the front page on Digg... like what happened recently if I remember right.
IceCube

Postby curzlgt » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:01 am

I prolly know less about adsence than you :P but page views and posts have to weige in regaurdless..... diggdotting and slashdotting would only occur eith SN atticles either way, so leads me to think that the MFSN section is more "profitable" either way, as they wont get dotted....

btw, any of your articles ever hit digg or /. front page Ice? just curious?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:08 am

at the moment, curz, it's up to the submitter to choose between file-sharing and tech. perhaps ray will eventually, assuming he ever gets a chance to catch his breath, give us a tool to switch from one to the other once submitted, but there is no such tool atm.

in a way, i understand what you are saying about turnaround time - but in another sense, it could perhaps lengthen it somewhat as well as shorten it. in the past, i think we all know that many tech articles were submitted as filesharing news. it was frustrating from many standpoints - do we approve it, and dilute the filesharing news? do we reject it, and lose the discussion about a topic people here are interested in, even though it's not specifically filesharing? now, with its own section, tech news stories will now age together, and not prematurely age a filesharing story. hopefully, in the long run, both categories will end up with more room on the front page, thus creating a larger visible group of each - at least that's what i'd like to see, anyway.

always remember that this is a work in progress :)
MrFredPFL

Postby IceCube » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:24 am

curzlgt wrote:I prolly know less about adsence than you :P but page views and posts have to weige in regaurdless..... diggdotting and slashdotting would only occur eith SN atticles either way, so leads me to think that the MFSN section is more "profitable" either way, as they wont get dotted....

I mounted the first time I got on Digg right on top of my browser: http://digg.com/music/Canadian_Recordin ... ling_Apart

I forgot to do that with the Slashdot version. I'll do that right now. In the mean time: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/19/0434214

It also hit Fark as a bonus: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comment ... nk=2017064

As I said when it was happening, I was beside myself with how popular it got! :D
Last edited by IceCube on Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
IceCube

Postby curzlgt » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:27 am

WIP, very true Fred :)

I just don't see how this new format will lengthen MFSN discussions :? less space on the front page can only distance relavence, its just how web news works......If its not on the front page, for all intence purposes it disappears......

Look, less I'm wrong, revenue largly comes form the casual non participating member and non member readers...... The way I see it, the non member comes here for filesharing news and comentary, and they pay the bills.....less I'm wrong, which is entirly possible. the members come here for community and news, and generate but a small portion of the revenue....
curzlgt

Postby curzlgt » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:32 am

IceCube wrote:
curzlgt wrote:I prolly know less about adsence than you :P but page views and posts have to weige in regaurdless..... diggdotting and slashdotting would only occur eith SN atticles either way, so leads me to think that the MFSN section is more "profitable" either way, as they wont get dotted....

I mounted the first time I got on Digg right on top of my browser: http://digg.com/music/Canadian_Recordin ... ling_Apart

I forgot to do that with the Slashdot version. I'll do that right now. In the mean time: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/19/0434214

It also hit Fark as a bonus: http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comment ... nk=2017064

As I said when it was happening, I was beside myself with how popular it got! :D

good on ya Ice!!!

I'd like to be a more prevalnt fark submitter, but I just can't be as funny as most, I'm at 26 submitts there....specially that duke suck guy, doesn't matter what its about he gets posted :twisted:

Ilike submitting here better anyway :!:
curzlgt

Postby Myrak » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:41 am

I would like to see the short captions under the MFSN stories on the front page return. They were really useful, I would hardly ever have time to read through the whole article, I'd just grab the gist of it through the caption and possibly read the comments. Now I have to go by title alone (or click a lot more).

And maybe space out the front page a bit more too. : )
The right hand side bar is starting to grow on me tho. Still would like the 'skip to last page' link back too, shouldn't be too hard though.

Good work guys, keep it up.
Myrak

Postby IceCube » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:50 am

I'll try and keep my blog up to date on the changes on Slyck. Some of the changes might be a bit too subtle to notice given so much stuff is being updated. Keep an eye on my sig as I update it as frequently as possible to the latest things on Slyck. I'll modify the little title I have running to make it known that I've updated with a new post to keep up with the changes. :)

Just a little added bit, hope you enjoy my documentation :)
IceCube

Postby IceCube » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:14 am

OK. The following is a screenshot of what I see on the front page:

Does anyone see anything that deviates from the above? Just making sure on this.

Edit: If you do, you can post details here or PM me or SlyckRay (preferably SlyckRay, I'm saying me because the PM button is nice and close here :) )
IceCube

Postby Nuttyguy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:47 am

IceCube wrote:Does anyone see anything that deviates from the above? Just making sure on this.

I do not see the ads at the top, this could be caused by something on my end though. :)
Nuttyguy

Postby LaX » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:50 am

Well I do have a different firefox theme.. :wink:

Though the image of the IFPI story in your end seems to be in the wrong place :?
LaX

Postby Fartingbob » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:08 am

My clock is different! How can this happen? I must have a virus damnit!
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby P2P_G » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:45 am

IceCube, my does look exactly like that only no ads ;)

Adblock & Super Ad blocker <3

:D
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby OmegaGreg » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:40 pm

I like, but I don't like. But everything needs to be upgraded at one point. Just gonna take some getting used too time.
OmegaGreg

Postby DepecheNode » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:59 pm

Ice:

I have an adjusted hosts file, so no, I don't see the ads... :wink:

I remove the hosts file about once a month and click like crazy to support my favs... but you should have a donate button.

Also, with the script enhancements, the page is unusable when somebody uses a scriptblocker like 'NoFlash!".

You should have a redirect or at least a button to a 'scriptless' version of the page, or better yet, a text version.

my 2¢.
DepecheNode

Postby IceCube » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:45 pm

Interesting thoughts there. :)

For once, I almost kept my word of keeping my blog up to date. Link in the sig if you want to see what is new. These changes are perhapse more subtle ;)
IceCube

Postby LaX » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:24 am

Hopefully you'll tell us the categories and not be like that git that wouldn't tell me anything? :wink:

And where is that digg/slashdot/fark/other tech news site submittion of slyck 2.0? :P
LaX

Postby Renegade » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:23 am

what git .. :P
Renegade

Postby IceCube » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:07 pm

Well, as things get launched, you'll know. :)
IceCube

Postby multivariable » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:15 pm

The inability to 'view latest post' of a particular thread from the front page is becoming really annoying
multivariable

My request

Postby Royce » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:21 am

I miss the new programs at the bottom, maybe I'm missing its new location. I haven't been able to be as active in my slyck reading lately, but I always relied on the new programs list to remind me of popular application updates. I reaize it's not the main focus, but I had grown to appreciate its presence.

Thanks
Royce

Postby IceCube » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:25 am

This might be of use. It's under 'File-Sharing' on the front page as 'Programs' :)
IceCube

Postby Royce » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:31 am

I had found that menu, and I can see how it would be very useful, especially for someone looking for a concensus on quality programs in each category. What I'm missing is the list from the most recent, maybe it's a possible addition. For those of us who have found our favorite programs, an area for displaying the freshest versions was great.
Royce

Postby JunqueMan » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:40 am

I agree with Royce on the "new programs" list that was on the main page. I miss that too since it was a great way to see what was updated.

Also, multi is right about not being able to see the "view latest post" for threads is pretty annoying. It was so easy the old way...

Bring them back! Bring them back! :)

Junque Man
"Pass me another cold Pawtucket Patriot..."
JunqueMan

PreviousNext

Return to Tell us what you think